Forums

Topic: How would the PS4.5 and XB1.5 change the prospects of NX success?

Posts 181 to 200 of 217

iKhan

Mario123311 wrote:

It really bugs me when they call 3D World as "not true 3D Mario". It's like calling Sonic Unleashed not a true 3D Sonic simply becauseit doesn't play like SA1 or 2.

I don't really consider them to be "true 3D Mario" games because they try very hard to be like 2D Mario games. If you try so hard to align yourself with a separate line of games, I'm not particularly inclined to classify it otherwise.

3D Land and 3D World really do play like a 2D Mario game. Exploration and risk taking are discouraged by the timer, life, and power-up mechanics. The gameplay and controls don't really exploit the full range of speeds and directions. Power-ups are designed to make traversing the level easier, rather than to change Mario's moveset to allow level variety. And the fixed camera adds more focus on precision platforming, as you don't have to constantly readjust perspectives.

These all create a game that doesn't really feel like any 3D platformer I've ever played before.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Mario123311 wrote:

It really bugs me when they call 3D World as "not true 3D Mario". It's like calling Sonic Unleashed not a true 3D Sonic simply becauseit doesn't play like SA1 or 2.

I agree that that is somewhat arbitrary as 3D Land and 3D World are 3D platforming games, just not in the same style, but 3D World still feels like a significant downgrade from the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy line, especially in terms of presentation, scale, and novelty. It just doesn't feel like a big, bold Mario experience, that's why it's not being recognized as a legitimate successor.

I know it's Mario, but is it crazy to want just a tiny bit of world building like Sunshine and Galaxy 1 had? You revisited levels, you actually had to visit portals to levels, and there was a small semblance of story. These all kept the games from feeling like sterile obstacle courses like Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World do.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Mario123311

Again, One can argue that Sonic's "boost" games are also a step back from the adventure forumula with either "feeling like he's on a track" as the best example by many people I tend to see.

Mario123311

GrailUK

Mario 3D World is 3D! It's just more level based as opposed to an open world. It's definitely not pseudo 3D.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

iKhan

Mario123311 wrote:

Again, One can argue that Sonic's "boost" games are also a step back from the adventure forumula with either "feeling like he's on a track" as the best example by many people I tend to see.

I haven't played a Sonic game, nor do I follow the series at all, so I can't really relate to your example.

My point is that I think that the Mario platformers can be grouped into two series. 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 fit in one. 3D Land/World and all the 2D Platformers fit into another.

I think this classification is perfectly valid, as, independently of level design, the game mechanics are largely similar within each group.

Now, are the 3D Land/World Mario games with platforming elements in which Mario can move in 3D? Yes. But so is Paper Mario, and I don't see anyone asserting those games are "true 3D Mario games"

GrailUK wrote:

Mario 3D World is 3D! It's just more level based as opposed to an open world. It's definitely not pseudo 3D.

Galaxy is also more level based. But the game plays and controls the way Mario 64 does. 3D World plays and controls like Super Mario World with some Super Mario Bros 2 (US) sprinkled in.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

MysteryMan23

So, it's been a while. Have rumors about the PS4 Neo's specs affected your opinion on how it will impact the NX?

Honestly, I'm still not convinced. There's still room for Nintendo to get ahead in specs if they wish to, and the NX will likely have the advantage of "new-console shine" at the very least. If Nintendo plays their cards right, or Sony plays theirs wrong, the NX might end up more of a threat to PS4 Neo than the other way around.

But, that's just my guy-on-the-internet-tier opinion. What do you think?

Nintendo Network ID: GamerDude23

skywake

@MysteryMan23:
The PS4k doesn't interest me at all. And honestly the specs don't sway me either way because I already have a "third party box" with my PC. It just happens to be the case that the PS4k is rumored to match that spec.

For me the NX is interesting for the same reason the Wii U is. First party games. If it has enough of that I'm grabbing regardless of how powerful it is or how much third party support it gains. Neither of those things interest me because I have a PC....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

IceClimbers

PS4 Neo won't be much of a problem for NX itself.

However, it will likely mean that the base PS4 gets a price drop. Now THAT is what will hurt NX. A $250 PS4 will be crazy, not to mention Black Friday deals on top of that.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

@IceClimbers:
It depends on how Sony approaches it whether or not that happens. I could see a situation happening where the new SKU becomes the only SKU and an excuse not to drop the price. Not unlike what happened to the 3DS when the New 3DS came out. The new model came out at the same price and the old model was discontinued... ignoring the 2DS...

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@skywake: That's why you shouldn't ignore the 2DS. I don't think there was any reason for keeping the 3DS around any longer, the 2DS already provided the budget option. With PS4, there's no such thing as a lower priced version. A price drop on the PS4 is definitely going to destroy any momentum the XOne has or will get this holiday.

Octane

rallydefault

@Octane: Yea, they'll definitely keep the original PS4 around, if only to further stagnate the Xbox One.

I can't wait to see this all go down, though. This is going to be a very interesting holiday season.

rallydefault

Blast

FragRed wrote:

This E3 is becoming less and less of a "all eyes on Nintendo and it's new console" event as it was seeming to be just a few months ago. Nintendo really needs to wow everyone now, because they really have a fight on their hands I feel.

Perhaps now is a good time to consider some kind of E3 teaser, hype everyone up because it's going to get real noisy with everyone shouting about their latest console revisions and PS VR etc.

If there was any chance of Nintendo getting a potential diehard Sony fan to buy the NX.... it's gone. Sony is wickedly genius. They're not letting Nintendo have a moment to shine. Same goes for Microsoft. Sony isn't letting them breathe either. This PS4.5 and PSVR combo will destroy all.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DjLewe78

Until you can play as Lionel Messi in FIFA, or run around like Rambo in COD then it won't sell THAT well.
Isn't that why Nintendo consoles haven't sold?

I say console as PSVR is basically the price of console.

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

Peek-a-boo

Sony are probably chuckling to themselves at today's news.

Not that I would blame them, as they now comfortably have Christmas all to themselves.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: I don't think MS is going to release anything new this year. Things are looking good for Sony this holiday, that's for sure.

Octane

DJaa

Seeing as Nintendo's plans changed, I would think the ps4.5 xboxone.5 definitly had a bit to do with that decision. They want to wait it out and see what they're going to deliver, and how much it could potentially get in the way of nintendo's own new hardware.

In other words, nintendo is going to be left behind again. All that wii/ds money couldnt have been invested in the future in a more horrible way imho.

DJaa

MysteryMan23

Well, NX does have more options in 2017 than in 2016 when it comes to parts. I'd say the chance that the NX is more powerful than PS4.5 has increased.

Nintendo Network ID: GamerDude23

DJaa

@MysteryMan23: lmfao. Dont do this to yourself

Its going to be a new concept/idea, so that alone will bring some costs with it. Nintendo likes their high profit margins compared to sony which subsidize their consoles, at least initially.

Expecting a nintendo console more powerful than the speculated ps4.5 specs is expecting a 600 dollar console with nintendo's way of doing things. Its out of the question imho, and id gladly eat crow on that

DJaa

DefHalan

we don't even know for sure when the PS4K and XB1.5 will release. It is difficult to say how NX in early 2017 will stack up against them.

By skipping the holiday season they did make it more difficult to get early sales numbers but if they aren't counting on early numbers and more counting on getting the NX Hype Machine running, with a soft launch, then they could decimate in holiday 2017 and beyond. Early adopters will most likely be diehards, like me, while summer can be focused on the core and holiday can be focused on the casual-core audeince. I think a soft launch would work well, as long as Nintendo communicates exactly how the soft launch will work. Nintendo and communication is the most important thing for them to get right this time, in my opinion.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FragRed

Rumours are starting to circulate that Xbox One revised console could be coming out in February 2017 which may not be good news for Nintendo and the NX if true. Though to be fair, I'm not sure what Nintendo considers good and bad news anymore.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DefHalan

I actually think Nintendo stands a better chance coming out at the same time as these revisions compared to launch after. Releasing near the same time means Nintendo can be the shiny new console that offers new experiences and people might be less likely to upgrade their XB1 or PS4 to the new revision, instead just get the New system from Nintendo. Launching later means that audience will upgrade then complain about the Nintendo price, even if was fair because they can't afford it after upgrading their XB1 or PS4.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.