Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest X and XI

Posts 281 to 300 of 343

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Yeah, while I don't really follow much anime in general, I know that DBZ is just gross... The fighting games are great... but the actual art and "feel "of the IP is just pretty annoying. I had never realized DQ was the same artist, actually, until recently. Looking at original Dragon Ball, I now see the resemblance. I always compared to DBZ and thought everyone was nuts. DQ, Blue Dragon, Chrono Trigger style, I love. DBZ...definitely not. It reminds me of those 90's action flicks for tweens, cartoons from the original TMNT era and so on. But the bad ones....

In hindsight, now that I think about it Chrono had a very similar feel to the characters and dialogue as DQ in terms of that childlike innocence, yet heavy somehow at the same time. No wonder I loved it. I didn't know about DQ back then.

Well, there wasn't much from Enix that was terribly noteworthy outside DQ I suppose...so that's probably really the expected outcome.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

NEStalgia wrote:

Well, there wasn't much from Enix that was terribly noteworthy outside DQ I suppose...so that's probably really the expected outcome.

WAAAAAT?

ActRaiser
SoulBlaizer
EVO: Search for Eden (I still say nobody has topped this for an evolution game)
Illusion of Gaia
Ogre Battle
Brain Lord
Itadaki Street (ok they kept this one too)
Wonder Project J (and the sequel)
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice (it wasn't a bad licensed title and I loved that series growing up)

I don't know how much of that they owned but they published it (they didn't dev DQ either so I'm tying it all together). Perhaps because I wasn't into Squaresoft growing up (VI is the only FF I really like other than XIII) and once Square went sony I never caught the wave since I didn't get a Sony system until I was 18. They weren't critically acclaimed but they all did something unique that nobody else was doing at the time really while Square was trying to make FF into a formula by then.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

rallydefault

I've been saying for years that it's time for ActRaiser to come back.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

I finished the DQXI S demo and it's very good. My only major problem with it is the approach to saving is archaic, you should be able to save anywhere in a RPG or adventure game nowadays.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I really dislike that, too. I see no reason whatsoever for save spots instead of having the option to save whenever and wherever you want. It's just pointlessly frustrating at this point.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I finished the DQXI S demo and it's very good. My only major problem with it is the approach to saving is archaic, you should be able to save anywhere in a RPG or adventure game nowadays.

I think they like to stick with the traditional RPG tropes no matter what.

It is kinda cool that there's one series that basically ignores modern trends completely (except with graphics)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Tsurii

Ehh, at the very least on Switch you will NEVER have the issue of having to find a save point, if you wanna end a session.
I will still agree that save points can be cumbersome but, so far and in the demo, they're actually pretty evenly spread out so you won't go more than around half an hour at most without a save point.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Dezzy

I think this is one of the games that actually looks better when docked. The undocked mode seems to just be really low resolution. Docked looks like 720p.

rallydefault

Loved the demo - totally convinced me to buy a game I otherwise would have overlooked.

On the save point thing, I'm glad they're keeping it old school. Games are becoming too easy and too convenient these days. It's fine for a handful of games to keep older mechanics. Having specific save points adds much-needed tension to the game. If you're in the middle of the field, low on HP/mana, and a save point is still far away, you're gonna be forced to evaluate whatever spells/healing items you have to survive until you can save again. You're gonna be forced to try and avoid combats, and if you can't, combat is going to become all the more intense.

If you can just pop up a menu and save anywhere at any time, it completely robs the game of any consequence whatsoever. You can just save after every step, knowing you can reload and try a different tactic if something goes wrong.

rallydefault

Tasuki

So finally sat down and played this game for a few hours today and I say I am in love with this game.

I have been putting the PS4 version off for this version and I am glad I did, so Infant compare it tonthe PS4 gameplay wise and graphic wise but it looks gorgeousness and plays well to me. My biggest little niggle is how he jumps granted I don't think jumping games into play into this game compared to something like Mario Odyssey or a FPS but he just feels stiff and jumping straight up is so annoying. Other then that it plays very well. So far I haven't done to much just made it out of down and just wonder the country side before going to the big town then my Switch battery died.

Voice acting is great although I am not quite sure what's up with the British accents, but ok and I am kinda disappointed with the silent hero bit (I would think companies would be pass that) but other then that, as I said voice acting is great.

It seems to me there's crafting in this game which I like and the open world will keep me busy. I all probably the best RPG I have played since Octopath.

I will probably end up playing this game once in 3D and then in 2D mode.

But yeah going to be busy with this for awhile.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Grumblevolcano

To those who have played the PS4 version, how much of the game is completed by the end of the demo (I'm looking for a an approximate percentage, ratio or full game length?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

k8sMum

Fyi: Amazon US if offering the game for pre order at $49.99 rather than $59.99. With the games coming out in September i need all the breaks i can get.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

Tasuki

@k8sMum Thanks I was just thinking to I wonder if Amazon has any deals for this game. Time for me to preorder it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

k8sMum

@Tasuki You are very welcome.

They are also selling Ni No Kuni for 41.86, a bit over $8 off.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

Dezzy

Until now I've been saying that the Metro Kingdom in Mario Odyssey is the most graphically impressive thing running on the Switch. That's probably still true. But Heliodor in DQ11 comes a close in second. How on earth did they get that massively detailed town running on an undocked Switch at a good framerate? It's incredibly close to the PS4 version.

@Grumblevolcano

It's a tiny percentage. These games are huge. On the same scale as the Xenoblade games. So if the demo is like 10 hours if you do all the side stuff, the main game is like 100 hours if you do all the side stuff.

Edited on by Dezzy

toiletduck

Can you still play on after you reach the end of the demo?

toiletduck

Grumblevolcano

@toiletduck Yes, loading up your save after you've finished the story part of the game has you at the campsite nearest the end of the demo.

Grumblevolcano

Darknyht

@Grumblevolcano I think Dragon Quest XI was intentionally unapologetic for their old school approach. But who can blame them when they have been pretty much that way for as long as they have been around, and continue to sell like wildfire in their home country. Outside of Japan has been a mixed bag due to a variety of issues.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic