Forums

Topic: Bravely Default II (Nintendo Switch)

Posts 281 to 300 of 733

Balta666

TheWingedAvenger wrote:

I haven't played through Bravely Default II or Xenoblade II, so my theory that they both suck may be completely wrong and I may one day end up really liking them. But from what I've seen, BD2 looks like a linear game, and while I like the combat system of the series, a lack of exploration in a turn-based RPG makes for a lackluster adventure. Another thing I'm not a fan of is that the characters in the BD series have no feet. I just looks stupid, and would be unimportant if it wasn't on screen at all times. Xenoblade II has been exposed on Youtube as having a ridiculous combat system which requires nothing from the player. I want to play the game, so when the game plays itself, I tune out. It's a shame because Xenoblade I was an engaging game.

I can assure you it is not possible to beat XC2 without engaging with the combat. You have seen only videos of the tutorial (that is about 20h long lol). I have not played XCX but the gameplay on the second is way way better than in the first. When you get it it works like a dance and it is very satisfying every time

alpacatears

I'm coming into chapter 4 now and I definitely think that it's opening out a bit more in terms of mixing and matching a team that I like. Certain early bosses kinda felt like you needed very specific jobs to defeat them but I'm definitely feeling more freedom to play around as the story progresses.

Also the beastmaster is absolutely and utterly broken. It'll be interesting to see if this stays true into the endgame.

alpacatears

shining_nexus

BruceCM wrote:

Yeah, BD II is 'linear' like most older jrpgs but it's definitely got plenty of exploring available & optional quests, etc ... Obviously, if that's such a big turn off for someone, maybe they should swap to western rpgs?

Honestly, I think that’s why I did not enjoy Octopath Traveller as much as I would because it was not traditionally linear (reminds me of the SaGa series). I ultimately did like it in the end, but I would like to revisit OT again someday and play it with a different perspective.

shining_nexus

VoidofLight

@shining_nexus The only reason I quit playing Octopath was because getting money was extremely grindy. For some reason, they thought it was a good idea to not allow people to get money via the side quests, and instead making it a passive ability that you need when walking back and forth in a certain area.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

The grind itself doesn't bug me much, since I usually just turn off my brain and do something else while I play.

NintendoByNature

@TheLightSpirit that was a concern of mine. I was going to buy it day 1 but funds didn't allow when it launched. I'll grab it down the line but if it's really grindy I can wait.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

I haven't needed to do much grinding but I've been doing most of the optional quests & make sure to engage monsters that are along the way .....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

VoidofLight

I just figured out that this last fight of the first chapter requires you to use a specific ability that allows you to steal BP. I have to grind a lot more for JP so that I can get that ability, in order to progress in the story..

alpacatears

With regards to the Grind, monster treats at nighttime are a Godsend. You can easily net a few hundred JP at times from one monster encounter that goes for a few rounds.
Battling monsters one at a time to gain JP is pretty unnecessary and inefficient. I just wish that I realized it a touch earlier in my playthrough

alpacatears

Grumblevolcano

How do you access the quest list in the full game? I remember the demo having a numbered quest list so you could see if you missed any but I don't remember how I accessed it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Arcansel

Grumblevolcano wrote:

How do you access the quest list in the full game? I remember the demo having a numbered quest list so you could see if you missed any but I don't remember how I accessed it.

Go to menu (aka press X)>travelogue>press ZL or ZR, you have all the story/quest/tutorial/party chat events that you already discovered.

Edited on by Arcansel

Arcansel

My Nintendo: Arcansel | Nintendo Network ID: Arcansel | Twitter:

Diddy64

shining_nexus wrote:

Diddy64 wrote:

@VoidofLight Another way to earn more exp and job points is to have chained battles using food. Or group 3 fleeing monsters that give decent points. I have noted that monsters at night give more experience.

I tried this out and it works well. Are the number of chains random? I noticed it’s higher towards the end of the effect. Will have to try this out at night.

I also noticed that the chain battles can also reward you with the same food that you consumed.

@shining_nexus Sorry for the late reply. In the sword start battle you can accumulate many more monsters, though the limit is unknown to me. Since I haven't tried the food for chained battles yet, I don't know if the frequency increases near the end of the effect. If anyone knows, please feel free to reply.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

VoidofLight

The only thing about chaining monsters for me, is that I can't take them on in a chain fight until they start running from me in the overworld, due to how strong they generally are. However, by then it's hard to actually get the monsters to line up once I do it.

Balta666

I am now nearly 20h in and early chapter 2 and boy am I bored... And I do love me a JRPG grind but the whole game is so slow with all the loading times between houses and whatnot, the bosses that are massive bullet sponges...

I am not the biggest fan of octopath traveller mostly for the lack of a proper story but the gameplay and grind was allways fun!

Edited on by Balta666

VoidofLight

@Balta666 I feel not boredom, but sort of apathy right now. The only main issue I have is with the grinding itself. I’m around 20 hours in, and I’m on one of the first dungeons of the second chapter, where the enemies are all overleveled. The boss fights are actually engaging and interesting to me if I can actually figure out the right strategy to beat them, but half the time they get frustrating since it mainly focuses on reviving and healing knocked out party members. I just hope the story itself gets better, making the grinding well worth it.

shining_nexus

I think I’m nearing the end of the first chapter 1 (18 hours in) and so far, I’m still enjoying my time with it. The story and gameplay are very, let’s say, ordinary thus far, but in a way where it’s comforting and easy to return to.

Never had an issue with any grinding, but I’ve been engaging almost every enemy and doing all the side quests along the way (fast forward is great too). I really like the process of customizing my characters with a good job and weapon/gear composition, and the weight system is an addition that I really like. It gives the player more decisions - should I sacrifice defense to go more offense, or lose some HP so I can have more MP to cast more spells? And those decisions are dependent on your play style, like having a full on scale offensive Vanguard or a tanky Vanguard that can take a beating, or maybe have a little bit of both.

With normal fights... I tend to try and beat every encounter as efficient as possible, so fights usually doesn’t have me mashing attack. I like this way of doing it because it at least gives me some enjoyment, like figuring out a little puzzle or experimenting with my team composition and see what works best.

Boss fights are just great. The music is banging and regardless of how over leveled I am, they always give me a thrilling fight. Especially after the first phase.

shining_nexus

VoidofLight

How do I spoiler again on here? I want to say something but it could be counted as a minor spoiler.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic