Forums

Topic: Borderlands Legendary 3-Pack Nintendo Switch

Posts 101 to 120 of 206

zool

@Rosona I guess games can be a really personal thing. Fire Emblem Three Houses, I gave up after about 60% through. I've played the Fire Emblems on the 3ds and was looking forward to the Switch version. But the Monastery! Tea parties, fishing, mini quests, exams etc etc completely distracts from what was the best pure strategy game out there; that is not chess.

But from the sales figures I guess I'm in the minority. And I guess this is the new future of Fire Emblem.

zool

zool

@JaxonH I play about 60% docked 40 handheld. I guess a lot of straight ports don't really fit the handheld very well and so there has to be compromise.

Maybe the moral of the story is own a PS as well.

zool

Mountain_Man

zool wrote:

Something I find confusing with reviews and for me Witcher is an example..... a game can be praised simply because the makers managed to get it running on the Switch and that seems to trump graphics, frame rate etc. While other reviewers tell it like it is.....if you are desperate to play it on the go or the Switch is your only method of playing , buy the Switch version otherwise avoid it.

The Witcher 3 actually looks pretty darn good. It doesn't have the fidelity it does on other systems, obviously, but taken on its own merits, it's a great looking game on the Switch.

The Outer World's, unfortunately, doesn't look good on the Switch even if you don't compare it to other versions. That is to say, if the Switch version was the only version that existed, it would still be terrible from a purely visual standpoint.

Maybe the day one patch will fix things up...

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

@zool
For me, it’s PC. Need that gyro aiming. I’ve gotten to a point where I just can’t play games without Gyro anymore. There’s a few rare exceptions if the circumstances warrant (like Bioshock on Switch, since it’s not a typical run and gun high-octane FPS, and it’s an excellent port and so good in handheld mode), but for the most part it’s gyro or bust.

But ya, I agree with the general sentiment. The Steam release will allow me to play Outer Worlds proper, and without sacrificing gyro. It’s a tragedy that hybrid functionality will have to be sacrificed but it is what it is. I wish every single game could look and run amazing on Switch. If that were the case I’d never touch any other platform again. But there are realistic limits to what can be done on a handheld system. And until we reach a point where graphical diminishing returns have eliminated any perceptible gap between console and handheld, there always will be.

@Mountain_Man
Ya I agree with that, Witcher 3 does look good on handheld. Even docked it looks pretty good as long as you’re not doing a direct side by side comparison. But Outer Worlds just flat out doesn’t look good, no matter which way you slice it.

I’m amazed big games like Borderlands 2 can look so amazing on Switch, run full 1080p, yet they can’t figure out a way to port current gen games to look at least as good as PS3 games did. If outer worlds was built for PS3 it would look way better than the Switch version. And I think that’s inherently the problem. These games are not being built with 7th gen level of power in mind. Just wish they could spend enough time reworking during the porting process to rebuild them properly.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mountain_Man

It's just disappointing to see considering how stellar the recent 2K ports have been. I'm loving Borderlands 2 on the Switch! It's now my preferred way to play.

The Mountain Man

Qwertyninty

Need the site review on this.

Qwertyninty

Reprise

JaxonH wrote:

@Mountain_Man @zool
I watched the DF analysis and it’s not great, but at the same time, I watched ACG’s review afterward and while he did note the same issues and give it a “wait for a sale” rating, he was a lot more positive about it and he’s usually very critical of any switch game. Digital foundry has a way of taking something bad and making it look like nuclear holocaust.

That’s not to say I think it’s a high quality port because I think that’s not really up for debate, but I do trust ACG and he basically said it’s pretty good in handheld mode. Doesn’t look the best but, it’s decent. Definitely some frame rate issues at times and obviously you’ll have to make peace with the graphical downgrades but aside from that and a few hitches here and there it’s definitely a playable version if you want it handheld.

Personally my excitement has been shot for the game, but I don’t think it’s a complete disaster either.

What I have played so far is more than playable. Keep in mind I'm still just a few hours in, but for now I'm having plenty of fun playing the game. It definitely doesn't look good, but then Witcher 3 was also a blurry mess when it was first released (not Outer Worlds bad, but still not great). I'm not too bothered by the graphical downgrade.

Of course, the deeper into the game I get, the more issues I may experience (and Digital Foundry and others have mentioned things do get worse the further you get), so I'll just have to see how things go.

Reprise

Tasuki

@AndyD Maya you want to go either or Elemental or Motion tree depending on play style. Unless you are doing co-op you don't do her healing tree. I tend to go elemental myself.

Gaige is a tricky one. Her best build is her Anarchy build but it's a high risk high reward build and can be a tough one if you are new to the game. A good one for solo is her let build but Deathtraps A.I. can be wonky at times. I have had him go after the less threatening enemy before and left me with bigger threat to deal with. I also have had him aggro a bunch of stuff and then leave.

I suggest giving a YouTube Channel VinylicPumaGaming a look at. Some of his builds are great as I have used some of them in the past.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Mountain_Man

Played about an hour of Borderlands 2 split-screen multiplayer with my son, and it's great! Performance stays silky smooth, even if you and the other player are in different parts of the map fighting your own group of enemies. I also love that each player has his own interface, so you can manage your character without disrupting the other player.

This is such an amazing port.

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

Whew. Just made it to sanctuary. This game is ballz to the wall hard at times. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve died. That boss with the fire gun, I had to cheese it by staying in the corridor before the arena he was in, where he couldn’t reach me (he could still shoot at me but I could dip below the horizon line to refill my shield), even cheesing it took like five minutes of shooting him to finally kill him. I wasn’t lasting 60 seconds in that arena with four different dudes hopping around like monkeys, never staying still, and despite have a good aiming with Gyro, it doesn’t lock on like auto aim so while it does make most shooting easier in games, it makes Borderlands harder because they just move around so freaking fast you can’t hit them for squat. I still prefer the gyro, it’s more fun and more rewarding, but there’s little doubt aim assist would help with these bouncy ball enemies zig zagging and moonwalking all over Timbuktu. Meanwhile, dude is raining down fire and brimstone, jumping and landing on me with no way to dodge or move out of the way... I don’t know how I would’ve beaten that otherwise.

And there’s been a lot of camps where I had to turtle my way through it. Just pop in far enough to draw the attention of a few guys and run back and pick them off one by one. I’m sure multiplayer would be easier but then again I think everything scales when you play with someone else so, who knows. My friend at work just bought the collection though and he wants to play online with a headset (he’s gotta buy one though), so we’ll see how hard the game is when we’re playing together.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mountain_Man

JaxonH wrote:

Whew. Just made it to sanctuary. This game is ballz to the wall hard at times. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve died. That boss with the fire gun, I had to cheese it by staying in the corridor before the arena he was in, where he couldn’t reach me (he could still shoot at me but I could dip below the horizon line to refill my shield), even cheesing it took like five minutes of shooting him to finally kill him. I wasn’t lasting 60 seconds in that arena with four different dudes hopping around like monkeys, never staying still, and despite have a good aiming with Gyro, it doesn’t lock on like auto aim so while it does make most shooting easier in games, it makes Borderlands harder because they just move around so freaking fast you can’t hit them for squat. I still prefer the gyro, it’s more fun and more rewarding, but there’s little doubt aim assist would help with these bouncy ball enemies zig zagging and moonwalking all over Timbuktu. Meanwhile, dude is raining down fire and brimstone, jumping and landing on me with no way to dodge or move out of the way... I don’t know how I would’ve beaten that otherwise.

And there’s been a lot of camps where I had to turtle my way through it. Just pop in far enough to draw the attention of a few guys and run back and pick them off one by one. I’m sure multiplayer would be easier but then again I think everything scales when you play with someone else so, who knows. My friend at work just bought the collection though and he wants to play online with a headset (he’s gotta buy one though), so we’ll see how hard the game is when we’re playing together.

Game will get easier as your skills improve. Also, luck of the draw with items helps. I had one game where I lucked into a shield that gave immunity to fire which made that first boss battle SO much easier.

The Mountain Man

Tasuki

Making use of your ability really helps with soloing too. With Axton his turret as Roland said in the first game is like having another solider on the battlefield. Maya's bubble can keep adds busy while you fight the boss. Don't forget your abilities.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

JaxonH

Tasuki wrote:

Making use of your ability really helps with soloing too. With Axton his turret as Roland said in the first game is like having another solider on the battlefield. Maya's bubble can keep adds busy while you fight the boss. Don't forget your abilities.

This is such critical advice. I routinely forget to utilize my turret. Every now and then I remember to use it, but it just hasn’t become habit yet.

Thankfully, I spent 3 gold keys (since I have like 2 dozen codes, and if they’re 5 keys each that’s a LOT- I only entered one code and got 5 keys, and each key unlocked 2 guns) and kept the best ones.

My current setup at Level 9, having just gotten to Sanctuary:

Loaded Iron Pistol
Damage: 115
Accuracy: 97.1
Fire Rate: 11.5
Reload Speed: 1.9
Magazine Size: 15

Bolshy Horrorshow Rifle
Damage: 73
Accuracy: 95.4
Fire Rate: 3.1
Reload Speed: 4.8
Magazine Size: 12
Burn Damage/sec: 18.8
Ignite Chance: 30%
Zoom: 7x

Grounded Turtle Shield
Capacity: 323
Recharge Rate: 22
Recharge Delay: 3.64
Max Health: -66
Immunity: Electrocute Damage

I also have a shield that’s only 155 capacity but with 29 recharge rate and 2.43 delay. But I felt like an extra second delay, slightly longer recharge rate and the health penalty was worth getting capacity that more than doubles. I am kind of torn though because the recharge delay is so critical in staying alive.

edit
Why is the formatting on this site always messing up nowadays? I’ve correctly formatted the stats listed above yet sometimes it has a space after the bolded text and other times it doesn’t have the space... I also noticed whenever I do italics the following word will not have a space after it even though that’s how I typed it. I’ve been using bold and italic formatting on the site for years and never had this issue until recently.

Edited on by JaxonH

Tasuki

@JaxonH Yeah it took me while too now it's just habit of me using my abilities. I pop it once and pretty much once it's charged up again I pop it as again.

Also keep Badass points in mind to they will come in handy. Put your Bad Ass points in Max HP, Fire rate, elemental damage and percentage and such just DONT EVER PUT BAD ASS POINTS INTO YOUR SHIELDS unless you plan never to play Krieg. By putting points into Shields it will mess up any build for Krieg in the end game. Unless you turn off Bad Ass Points all together.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Tasuki

@DarthNocturnal Yeah Maya's healing tree is mainly used for Co-op where someone else can do damage. An end game Maya/Krieg team is so much fun. Generally with Maya if you go the elemental route at high level you kill things really fast that you don't need to worry about healing. If you do well then you are not paying attention and just rushing in.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

AndyD

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I loved Zer0's ability in my PC version run of 2. Dip out of sight, line up the snipe on a boss' head, pull trigger just before it ends, boom.

Maya's was definitely nice for crowd control, though my chosen skill tree wasn't terribly exciting where it's use was concerned, I guess. But, I had crazy healing on top of it, so meh.

What build did you use for zero?

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Mountain_Man

My favorite class is the Mechromancer. The Anarchy skills are pretty insane. I had one build on my PC that could one shot all but bosses, even late game. Of course if I screwed up and died (like the one time I accidently walked off a cliff lol) then Anarchy resets, and it can be a slog to get it back.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic