Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,047

Lroy

@monkeyspasm Great to have another likeminded fellow in this arcade and retro chat thread. Do post your Switch friend code or put it in your forum sig and I'll add you to my Switch πŸ‘

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

If anyone in this thread fancies joining our weekly arcade game high score challenges, this is the place to go: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/arcade_shm...

Last day for BLAZING STAR scores today and the winner will choose the game for next week.

Lroy

Just noticed on another thread here that SEGA are bringing a Mega Drive/Genesis collection to PS4 and XBOX ONE. No announcement for Switch yet.

Here's a SEGA BITS video discussing the announcement: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrO3j-h734

OorWullie

Gate of Doom and Bad Dudes will both be released in Europe next week. Not sure if the latter is part of the Johnny Turbos Arcade collection as there is no mention of it on its Eshop page.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

OorWullie wrote:

Gate of Doom and Bad Dudes will both be released in Europe next week. Not sure if the latter is part of the Johnny Turbos Arcade collection as there is no mention of it on its Eshop page.

Huzzah!

meppi64

@Late While I love fighting games, I'm not particularly good at them so I'm afraid I won't be much help here.
All I can say is lower the difficulty to 3 and work your way up from there. 4 is mostly brutal since it was designed to eat your quarters.
I jump between fighting games way too much to be any good at a single one.
Besides the Virtua Fighter series, where I have pretty much only played with Pai Chan for the past 20 years, I can't really dedicate myself to certain games. And since it's been so long since the last Virtua Fighter game, even there I will be extremely rusty...

@monkeyspasm No problem.
I also grew up on arcade games. Starting in the late 70's early 80's, so seeing all these games release on the Switch (along with some brilliant new ones) has quickly made it my go to system over everything else right now.
If they keep this up, I don't think I'll even bother getting any of the new systems when "next gen" rolls around in a year or two. I already can't keep up with buying all the games I want for this system alone, and I buy a ton of them.
The last time this happened to me was the Dreamcast, it seemed like every month there would be 4-6 games at the very least that I wanted on there and that was before the days of cheap downloadable games.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

monkeyspasm

@meppi64 Dreancast! My all time favourite system. Ferrari F355, Virtua Tennis, Taxi, Daytona...

I have two Dreamcasts in various states of disrepair, although most of the games have had rereleases on other formats now, so the need for new optical drives is less pressing. I'd be all over any Sega games on Switch.

The Switch is already up there, for me. I have a 3 hour commute each day and it's like someone made a console just for me! I never thought I'd see Psikyo games on there, and the Neo Geo games feel right at home

Back on topic, I might get Aero Fighters 3, although may hold off to see what the next hiscore game is

Edited on by monkeyspasm

Switch Profile name - monkeysp

Switch Friend Code: SW-7394-3764-7014

Lroy

(Current) Top 3 Wishlist for Arcade games to come to Switch in 2018. Can be realistic prediction or outright dreams. Not necessarily your Top 3 arcade games of all-time or anything. Just 3 games you'd really like to be able to migrate from MAME and play on your Switch this year.

We've actually already have had two of my fave arcade games already this year in DOUBLE DRAGON and BAD DUDES VS. DRAGON NINJA as well as the magnificent R-TYPE already announced as coming soon. So that would've been a likely Top 3 from me.

So here's my new current Top 3 Wishlist for now:

• ALIEN VS. PREDATOR (Capcom)
  • MYSTIC WARRIORS or SUNSET RIDERS (both Konami)
  • P.O.W: PRISONERS OF WAR (SNK)

Be cool to see yours πŸ‘

Edited on by Lroy

Late

@meppi64 Kind of figured it would be hard so it can make people spend more. I guess I'll have to lower the difficulty then. Makes me feel bad, I'm already avoiding the roulette you get when you lose. I guess it's logical to make the fight easier when you have hard time but the "opponent starts with 1/3 health" is a bit of an overkill.

I tend to play as random character in every game where it's an option but it seems like I have to stick to one team for a while to learn the game first. I'm using Leona, Mature and Yamazaki for now. Smash is so beginner friendly thanks to having the same amount of inputs for each character. You can pick any character for the first time and can use normal moves comfortably while the 5 special moves are the ones you have to learn, and even then the Up + Special is always something that you can use as a second jump. I'm too used to that. I liked the original Samurai Shodown since it had very limited amount of moves and most of them were executed the same way (quarter/half circles + attack). I can find couple of attacks using those commands in KoF as well but there are so many more button combinations that I don't even know about.

I don't want to be too good. I just want to be good enough to comfortably use every character and know when to attack and when to defend.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

meppi64

@monkeyspasm I still love my Dreamcast dearly.
It sits next to my Sega Saturn, Switch, PS3/4, 360 and Wii U on my singing room setup, connected through a Framemeister.
I love my Saturn even more, but that doesn't take anything away from my Dreamcast.
I actually never thought we'd see Psykio games in any capacity again. It seemed like a company that pretty much everyone had forgotten about till they started popping up on Switch. Couldn't be happier myself and I hope the system becomes a haven for forgotten classic that deserve more recognition.

I wouldn't worry about going off topic here though as I think we're rechristening this topic to an overall Switch retro game community of sorts, if I'm not mistaken.

@Late I've long forgone the will of being able to know all the characters in a fighting game.
There always seem to be a couple that I just can't get to work, no matter what I try.
Then again, it makes sense since people gravitate towards certain fighting styles so there has to be something for everyone.
You name Mature for instance. I never used her before a year or two ago. Don't know why I picked her up despite playing KOF since 95 on Saturn, I think it was in KoF 14... Yet she has become one of my favourite characters despite her unconventional fighting style.

It can be really rough going from one fighting game to another since they all differ so much.
Then, even staying in a specific series like KoF or even Street Fighter can be tough since moves get changed up quite a lot as well. What always messes me over is when a character goes from quarter or half circle moves to be a charge based one. That really messes up my game completely. lol

@Lroy
Picking 3 games is really tough for me.
So I'll probably repeat myself once more, but I want Elevator Action on switch.
Would love to see Xevious as well and for a Psykio game, my hopes are Dragon Blaze for a pure shoot em up and Space Bomber for the "what the hell did I just play" factor and as a game that never got a home release.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

The Dreamcast was a dream machine. For someone who spent a good part of the 90's in the arcades to have a console capable of playing arcade perfect ports of Daytona and Sega Rally was an incredible feeling. Sadly it also coincided with the death of the arcades,at least where I lived.

SW-6101-8403-1640

monkeyspasm

Mine would be:

Bomb Jack
Robotron (no need for any other twin stick shooters after that, I met Eugene Jarvis recently when he came over from Chicago to Arcade Club in Bury to meet a load of Defender and Robotron players who met on Facebook, amazing chap!)
Wonder Boy (the first one, my favourite ever platformer)

meppi64

Yeah, I've said it before, the Dreamcast was the last system I was really passionate about.
Absolutely loved it and not just after the fact.
Had somewhat of a similar feel with the Vita, but it never got anywhere near the same level, probably due to Sony clipping it's wings so soon. Real shame about that and it has made me a lot more wary of buying another Sony portable as they have shown they will drop it like a brick if they don't make enough money quick enough.
That's what I miss about Sega, even though they had a miserable time with the Saturn in the west, they still translated and brought over certain games to make sure we got to play some true gems, even though they knew they were gonna lose money on them.

Those are some brilliant picks there. Loved Bomb Jack and even picked up the Famicom/NEW one Mighty Bomb Jack, which was nowhere near as good.
Game Boy version was brilliant though for it's day.
Would love to see a perfect port of Robotron and not a remake or remaster or anything.
And I think we might get Wonderboy sooner or later on Switch as Hamster has already released it on PS4 a long time ago.

BTW Aero Fighters 3 is live on the eshop.

meppi64

meppi64

Not sure if it's been posted on the site in the past couple of days, but if it did, I missed it.
Just showed up in my feed and I watched the whole video.
And what a video! Really good reminder of how great the Wii Virtual Console and Wiiware actually was.

Urge to add €200 and buy a bunch of games I missed rising....
Must resist!

meppi64

Late

Dropping difficulty to 3 seemed to help. I was able to beat the fourth match and came close to winning the fifth one.

So far, I'm best with Yamazaki even though I don't know most of his moves. The two desperation moves I've found seem to be for situations where the opponent is jumping close to you and I'm not good at using them so I save my gauge for other characters.

I like Leona's design and most of her attacks but I have hard time pulling them off because she works so differently from the other two. I'm not used to charge moves. I really like Rebel Spark, though. It's a cool looking move. I might try out someone else tomorrow and see how it affects things.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Lroy

@meppi64 I loved the Wii and the Wii Shop. Will definitely be giving this a watch. Shame so many of these games never came to UK Wii shop or have since been removed.

monkeyspasm

Have got to say I'm loving the SHMUP challenge, despite being rubbish at Blazing Star! Caravan mode is a great idea.

I'm just going to end up getting all of these, aren't I?! And that's despite having them on a MAME cab / various formats. This type of quick fix, hiscore gaming is just perfect on Switch, and it's great to meet likeminded retro gamers too

Edited on by monkeyspasm

Lroy

monkeyspasm wrote:

Have got to say I'm loving the SHMUP challenge, despite being rubbish at Blazing Star! Caravan mode is a great idea.

I'm just going to end up getting all of these, aren't I?! And that's despite having them on a MAME cab / various formats. This type of quick fix, hiscore gaming is just perfect on Switch, and it's great to meet likeminded retro gamers too

A man after my own heart ❀️

OorWullie

I don't believe what just happened to me there on Steredenn. I was on my best run by far, 1.9 million scored and had just upgraded to this crazy powerful weapon and had full health.

"The software was closed because an error occurred."

Absolutely gutted.

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

OorWullie wrote:

I don't believe what just happened to me there on Steredenn. I was on my best run by far, 1.9 million scored and had just upgraded to this crazy powerful weapon and had full health.

"The software was closed because an error occurred."

Absolutely gutted.

Yeah, this is the crash message I got twice in quick succession last night. I know others are experiencing the same. Needs to be patched and quick otherwise it will erode people's conpulsion to play.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic