Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 101 to 120 of 376

Lethal

crimsoncavalier wrote:

BigBadJohn wrote:

Guys I've decided to sell my car. It's a very nice car. It's comfortable and drives really fast. I like the colour and it's it looks great parked outside my house but is equally as good looking when out on the road. However I bought it as a direct replacement for my last car and there are things it just doesn't do as well.
No cup holder!
Boot is so much smaller.
No cover on the vanity mirror!
This is supposed to be 2017 and I feel let down by the car manufacturer for not including these very basic things. Now I know my car is very popular and is selling incredibly well but I feel all those people who bought the same model are deluded fanboys. Yes it does everything Porsche said it would do but is it really too much to ask for dual sunglasses holders? What do you guys think?

What an absolutely disingenuous argument. Literally nothing at all to the discussion at hand. Cupholders aren't major features of exotic cars. However, Netflix, Miiverse, and other features like that were major features of the Wii U. Millions of users used both Netflix and Miiverse.

The fact that one could sit on the couch, finish playing a game, and immediately transfer over to Netflix and watch a show/movie is not analogous to driving a $100,000 vehicle and sipping coffee. The fact is that the Switch does not allow for that transition between game and other entertainment media.

There are a lot of extraneous features that I think consoles could do without, however many of those things have become industry standards. Telling people to "get a tablet" and quit whining about the Switch not having Netflix is pretty arrogant.

This is the same tired argument in defense of Nintendo since the GameCube didn't read DVDs. Or the Wii. Or the Wii U. For some people it matters a lot. Some people don't want to have 8 different devices hooked up to their TV when one would do just fine.

Very well said. This pretty much sums it all up perfectly.

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Eel

Here's the real reason he's selling the car: it doesn't have a cd player, and it doesn't have those handle bar thingies used to put stuff on the roof of the car.

So, his extensive music cd collection is now useless, and the car lacks a basic functionality that other cars have.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Crono1973

@Meowpheel CD Players can be installed in cars after they are bought. Where will you take your Switch to install a Blu ray drive, HDD and multimedia apps?

Crono1973

BigBadJohn

@NEStalgia Thanks for having my back bro, at least someone appreciates the incredibly difficult work I do here. Anyway I'm off to make a coffee. If only my kettle had Netflix!

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Eel

@Crono1973 I'm sure anyone willing to destroy an expensive car to install a generic cd player can find a way to watch a movie on their switch.

Or wait. I mean, waiting is also an option. Who knows if any of that extra functionality will eventually appear. Ya know, an official, easy to install ferrari-made "handlebar thingy©" may eventually be made.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Crono1973

@Meowpheel An expensive car probably already has a CD Player or better. However, 'I am sure they can figure it out' is not a satisfactory answer. Watching a movie was not the criteria I mentioned in my post. I said, install a Blu Ray Player, a Hard Disk Drive and multimedia apps. That would atleast bring the Switch on par with it's competition and justify the $300 price tag.

I am just saying, you are paying a premium price for Nintendo hardware and for what? Not superior hardware, not extras like a HDD or a BD Player and not for software features. It's not like those Nintendo games are cheaper than games from the competition so why pay more for the hardware too?

Crono1973

NEStalgia

@Crono1973 The same place you go to hook a mechanical hard drive and Blu Ray player up to a $900 iPhone? Thank goodness those come with media apps. Too bad they play only mobile games and don't even have a headphone jack without attaching a dongle.

@BigBadJohn Who cares about Netflix on a kettle. I'm still miffed my amplifier doesn't get NicoNico and Crunchyroll. I demand better, Marantz!

NEStalgia

BigBadJohn

@Crono1973 Do you own a Switch buddy? I'm not implying you shouldn't have an opinion if you don't I'm just trying to work out why you feel it's a premium price. Any product is only worth what people are willing to pay and quite a considerable amount of people are willing to pay what Nintendo are asking. I own one and am more than happy with the price I paid compared to the usage I'm getting out of it.

@NEStalgia I'm over it. I've rigged my toaster to get kodi so I'm cool. I'm told my iPhone can make phone calls too but I can't for the life of me find the app on AppStore.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Ryu_Niiyama

You guys know that the system is only a few months old right? None of the modern systems LAUNCHED with all the popular multimedia apps out the gate. Just give it a few months. In the meantime there are games to be played. I know, people buy game systems to watch movies and surf the web but games are pretty fun too.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

BigBadJohn

@Ryu_Niiyama The Switch plays games too? I've been using it as a table tennis bat (or is it paddle? I'm no expert) Does it play pong?

SW-5512-0541-9236

Crono1973

@NEStalgia So we are comparing the Switch to an iPhone instead of to other consoles? That makes no sense. For one thing, the Switch doesn't make phone calls, doesn't have 3G/4G and can't send texts. Not that iPhones aren't overpriced, they are but you are trying very hard to keep from directly comparing the Switch with other consoles. I am not even asking to compare it to PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, just the normal/slim version of those consoles which are now cheaper than the Switch. How much do you suppose a 500 GB HDD adds to the cost and how much do you suppose a Blu Ray Player (UHD Blu Ray Player in the Xbox One S) adds to the cost?

Edited on by Crono1973

Crono1973

Crono1973

@BigBadJohn No I don't own a Switch but I do own most other Nintendo systems. Using your logic I paid a premium for the Wii U since most people weren't willing to pay the price Nintendo was asking.

Crono1973

BigBadJohn

@Crono1973 Nah mate you didn't pay a premium. You paid what you thought the console was worth. I owned the WiiU too and despite its shortcomings it was a cracking console. However the Switch is a better games console with the emphasis on games. The WiiU had a web browser the Switch is capable of taking Console quality games more than 10 feet away from your tv. The WiiU had Netflix (eventually) the Switch has a 720p screen. The Switch looks like a modern console the WiiU looked like a kids toy. Don't get me wrong the more features the better but I think we should give it more than 3 months before passing judgement.

And the comparison to iPhones is valid as more people now play games on smartphones than dedicated consoles. Modern technology has been moving towards convergence over the last decade. One device to rule them all. Of course dedicated devices that have singular functions but do them amazingly should be the way forward but that's life.

One last thing - adding a bluray player to a switch is potentially the worst idea I've ever heard. Did you never own a personal CD player in the 90s. They skipped like a banshee.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

KirbyTheVampire

BigBadJohn wrote:

@Crono1973 Nah mate you didn't pay a premium. You paid what you thought the console was worth. I owned the WiiU too and despite its shortcomings it was a cracking console. However the Switch is a better games console with the emphasis on games. The WiiU had a web browser the Switch is capable of taking Console quality games more than 10 feet away from your tv. The WiiU had Netflix (eventually) the Switch has a 720p screen. The Switch looks like a modern console the WiiU looked like a kids toy. Don't get me wrong the more features the better but I think we should give it more than 3 months before passing judgement.

And the comparison to iPhones is valid as more people now play games on smartphones than dedicated consoles. Modern technology has been moving towards convergence over the last decade. One device to rule them all. Of course dedicated devices that have singular functions but do them amazingly should be the way forward but that's life.

Was that "one device to rule them all" a LoTR reference?

KirbyTheVampire

Crono1973

@BigBadJohn Earlier you said that a premium price is defined by how many people are willing to pay the asking price. Now you are backtracking. Few people were willing to pay Nintendo's premium price for the Wii U and the same was true for the $250 price tag on the 3DS. Nintendo does usually attempt to charge a premium price and whether or not is sticks depends on how many are willing to buy it. They weren't willing to drop the price of the Wii U like they did the 3DS and they were unable to make it a success.

The comparison to iPhones is just moving the goal post, we aren't talking about install base and if we were, NIntendo would still be below that of Sony and Microsoft. Finally: Comparing hardware to hardware, just the hardware. Is the Switch worth $300 when it's competition (which comes with a HDD and a Blu Ray Player) is $250?

Crono1973

NEStalgia

@Crono1973 switch is mobile tech by design. Mechanical spinning devices have no home in mobile tech. Not unless the UMD drive on the PSP-2000 suddenly looks like a good idea. But that's the trick. A mobile tech device that can play console games better than the wiiu could.

If you prefer an all In one device, that's fine, switch isn't for you. Xbox one or ps4 or iphone might be more your speed. But, then, none of those play console games on the go.

NEStalgia

RenderSpotlight

Unless you think Nintendo is going to come out with a better version of the Switch in the near future and you are going to want to buy that instead and since you already own and are invested in the software, I would just keep it. What would be the point of selling it?

Why do you want to get rid of your Wii U? If you have good memories with it, I would suggest keeping it too. Why does this have to be an either or. It appears that money is not the issue, otherwise I assume you would not have invested in a Switch so heavily.
Just keep them both.

It is quite possible in a few years down the road you may want something that you already own and most likely you will have to spend more and get less at that time.
I have learned my lesson long ago about selling consoles and games. Although my intended reason for keeping my video games is no longer in my life, I still have the memories associated with them.

Just keep them both!
Do not let this burden you anymore. In the grand scheme of life, video games are a fun distraction, but hardly something to stress too much about. Sometimes life has a way of bringing things into focus and it is not always easy.

RenderSpotlight

NEStalgia

@Crono1973 blu ray players are $20 in Wal-Mart now. Mechanical HDDs are disastrous ancient tech that doesn't count a a selling feature on any device. Wake me when sony includes SSDs. The HDD on those machines is MUCH slower than switchs carts and sd cards.

NEStalgia

Crono1973

@NEStalgia I have had very little trouble with HDD's over the years. Do you think the cost of storage being built into the price of a console is a feature over having to buy your own storage when the hardware plus storage is cheaper on the former than the latter without storage? Oh well forget it. You guys can justify Nintendo's prices by pretending that HDD's are worthless and not a feature (but having a more powerful console than last gen somehow is a feature) and other such nonsense, maybe you even think the Pro Controller and the dock is properly priced too. Have a nice day, go play a game.

Edited on by Crono1973

Crono1973

rallydefault

@crimsoncavalier
Lol come on, man - you just shot yourself in the foot. You try to call his car analogy "disingenuous," but then you type something hyperbolic like having "8 devices" hooked up to your TV to play media? Try two, dude. Switch and WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT BECAUSE MOST LIKELY IT WILL PLAY ANY AND ALL MEDIA.

Xbox 360
Xbox One
PS3
PS4
Firestick
Chromecast
MERELY HAVING A SMART TV
etc.

You just lost. And you looked pretty silly.

rallydefault

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.