Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 201 to 220 of 415

crimsontadpoles

GrailUK wrote:

Hey, I'm amazed one of the big AAA devs hasn't tried to monetize them! You could release a game without them, and charge all the people that do want them! Hmmm...I better start working on my evil laugh. MWAHAHHAHA...or does it start with a B? BWAAHAHAH...

There would be uproar if that happened. Achievements are a fun feature that is easy to ignore if you don't want them, but few people are going to want to pay extra for them.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

MarcelRguez

JoeDiddley wrote:

Not sure why Nintendo hasn't used them if it keeps people playing games and gives them free advertising on social media (my friends often post their achievements).

This is true, I'm not sure why they haven't jumped on that bandwagon yet. Maybe they are aware the whole thing would be half-assed without a good online infrastructure to support it, or maybe it's just very low on their priority list.

@GrailUK Can online-only achievements be considered that, or aren't they blatant enough?

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

@Octane
Useful - able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways.

Trophies are very useful if you know how to use them. They add another level of challenge to the games. Some of which are very challenging. They can be used to create competitions with friends as well.

Pretty shocking that you do not understand this. It is so simple to comprehend.

A fork is useless if you do not know how to use it. But eventually you find a use for it.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

MarcelRguez

Lethal wrote:

You are too late. I am done with this discussion. There is nothing to debate.

Hmm...

Lethal wrote:

Trophies are very useful if you know how to use them.

Untitled

Lethal wrote:

They add another level of challenge to the games.

Nope. They are representative of the challenge, they are not the challenge per se. Whatever challenge they describe still exists within the game, even when you remove the achievements from it.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

Lethal wrote:

Pretty shocking that you do not understand this. It is so simple to comprehend.

Coming from you?!?!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Lethal

MarcelRguez wrote:

Nope. They are representative of the challenge, they are not the challenge per se. Whatever challenge they describe still exists within the game, even when you remove the achievements from it.

You are hopeless man. Good luck in the real world!

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

A camera can be useful, achievements aren't. I don't see the argument you're trying to make.

Why have goals in games at all then? How are they useful? Achievements are part of the games. All PS and Xbox games have them. No matter what you say, they are part of the game. So why even make games then? Your logic pretty much says there is no purpose for tasks set within a game. Except with achievements you actually have something showing off your accomplishment.

Even my 8 year old son understands this. I guess if you don't play sports or aren't competitive in any way at all. You might not understand why trophies are fun and useful.

Edited on by Lethal

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

Why have goals in games at all then?

Welcome back, not so done after all eh? Achievements are outside the game, their existence has no impact upon the story, nor does it impact the gameplay. All it does is try to shoehorn a player into a certain play style rather than let them experience the game in their own way, or reward you for something you were doing anyway.

Lethal wrote:

Achievements are part of the games. All PS and Xbox games have them. No matter what you say, they are part of the game.

Here is Elite Dangerous on Steam. There are no achievements whatsoever in it. ED is also on XB1. Unfortunately I've been out of PC gaming so I don't have a heap of recent games to compare against, but I think that one instance is enough to show that it isn't part of the game, it's part of the OS. It also doesn't explain why Netflix has "achievements"...

Lethal wrote:

So why even make games then? Your logic pretty much says there is no purpose for tasks set within a game. Except with achievements you actually have something showing off your accomplishment.

No, my logic is saying, that there is no purpose in adding additional goals that have no impact on gameplay and story. It's not content that is being added, it's fluff.

Lethal wrote:

I guess if you don't play sports or aren't competitive in any way at all. You might not understand why trophies are fun and useful.

Or I play them because they're fun and I don't need an award for that. Or is the concept of fun foreign to you?

Lethal wrote:

Trophies are very useful if you know how to use them.

They add another level of challenge to the games.

Start up Universal Sandbox. You might find that challenging...

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

Here is Elite Dangerous on Steam. There are no achievements whatsoever in it.

I never said all PC games had them. I specifically said Sony and Microsoft.

Don't like them? Don't look at them. Problem solved yet again. Hopefully Nintendo wises up and implements them for those who do enjoy them.

Edited on by Lethal

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Here is Elite Dangerous on Steam. There are no achievements whatsoever in it.

I never said all PC games had them. I specifically said Sony and Microsoft.

You might actually want to read what I've written rather than cut it off not even half way through the point:

shaneoh wrote:

ED is also on XB1. Unfortunately I've been out of PC gaming so I don't have a heap of recent games to compare against, but I think that one instance is enough to show that it isn't part of the game, it's part of the OS. It also doesn't explain why Netflix has "achievements"...

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

You might actually want to read what I've written rather than cut it off not even half way through the point:

I don't need to. Everything you say is nonsense.

Edited on by Lethal

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

@Lethal
[sarcasm]Lawks what a scathing response.[/sarcasm] Unfortunately for your argument, you declaring everything I say to be nonsense doesn't make it so.

You sure do cry a lot. Move on man.

shaneoh

@Lethal
I'll refer you to post #197

shaneoh wrote:

Ha, unable to come up with a satisfactory argument, so you try to discredit ours by insisting that we're "crying." Classic. Have you considered a career in politics?

Lethal wrote:

Move on man.

Lethal wrote:

I am done with this discussion.

Someone needs to take their own advice.

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

@Lethal
I'll refer you to post #197

shaneoh wrote:

Ha, unable to come up with a satisfactory argument, so you try to discredit ours by insisting that we're "crying." Classic. Have you considered a career in politics?

Lethal wrote:

Move on man.

Lethal wrote:

I am done with this discussion.

Someone needs to take their own advice.

Yes I do. Later kid!

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

Yes I do. Later kid!

Sigh, trying to reduce the value of my argument my insinuating that I am a child isn't going to work either. See you next time you're around here.

96OopAmgems

I wonder if they reveal a proper achievement system on the switch this e3. Nintendo again does everything they can to push away customers. They only target their hardcore nintendofanboys with the switch so far.

96OopAmgems

Lethal

96OopAmgems wrote:

I wonder if they reveal a proper achievement system on the switch this e3. Nintendo again does everything they can to push away customers. They only target their hardcore nintendofanboys with the switch so far.

It would be a great move for sure. I certainly hope they showcase some sort of trophy system.

96OopAmgems

@Lethal Yeah, that would be great, they already have a good achievement system in the palm of their hands with the mynintendo coins but only for smartphone games. I hope we will learn something of that sort today at their e3 press event.

96OopAmgems

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.