Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,281 to 4,300 of 69,962

SLIGEACH_EIRE

You know it's highly unlikely that NX is coming out this year. BUT, maybe the reason why we haven't heard anything about NX yet is because Nintendo are working around the clock trying to see if it's feasible to launch this year. We all know that Nintendo saying they wanted to have enough games ready and that's why they were waiting was rubbish. They want it out this year, they said it was coming out next year, nobody else, and if they want to say it's launching this year they can. It's possible to have a good launch lineup, Pikmin 4 for example was ready ages ago supposedly. As I say, it's highly, highly unlikely but doing a launch like this would generate a lot of media attention.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

upsidedownjim

Came across a job listing on Nintendo's NERD site that says "R&D software engineer on new generation consoles":

http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/NERD_Console_Software_Engi...

Under job description it lists "Produce multi-platform or console code" and under "Experience in or more of the following fields...Game development, especially on consoles"

Wouldn't say that's a smoking gun for NX being a console but just a small bit of fuel to the speculation fire.

Also, I found it interesting that NERD worked on getting Wii and DS games on the Wii U virtual console. They also worked on the NES Classic system emulator. Hopefully, all that work will transfer to a stronger virtual console line up on NX.

upsidedownjim

TuVictus

Well that and with wii u orders being final, everything points to the NX being a primarily home console replacement

TuVictus

DefHalan

Operative wrote:

Well that and with wii u orders being final, everything points to the NX being a primarily home console replacement

Really it just points to the continuation of Nintendo giving up on the Wii U. This doesn't have much to do with the NX

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

@SLIGEACH_EIRE That's not the part that feels clickbaity. It's the "NX launching Christmas 2016" part.

Anyways, I would say this confirms the whole European retailer meeting from last week. Pretty much means that Nintendo is trying to get the Wii U off shelves as quickly as possible. Doesn't bode well for the physical version of BotW on Wii U being widely available. Only a limited amount of copies I imagine, especially in Europe.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@upsidedownjim We already knew that the NX was going to be a console since last year, the question has been whether it's a handheld console, a home console or some sort of hybrid monstrosity.

Octane

TuVictus

DefHalan wrote:

Operative wrote:

Really it just points to the continuation of Nintendo giving up on the Wii U. This doesn't have much to do with the NX

Well that too. But considering their recent reassurance of 3DS support mixed with this news that the wii u is finally getting the axe, it's hard not to see this as related to how they view the NX

TuVictus

DefHalan

Operative wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Operative wrote:

Well that too. But considering their recent reassurance of 3DS support mixed with this news that the wii u is finally getting the axe, it's hard not to see this as related to how they view the NX

The only thing that makes it hard not to see it relate to the NX is the fact that the NX is coming. Nintendo stopping production of the Wii U just means they are done with the Wii U. They probably don't want people to pick up clearance priced Wii Us to play Zelda when it releases too. I wouldn't even be surprised if Zelda is only a digital release for Wii U at this point.

Nintendo's recent 3DS announcements could be viewed at Nintendo's current priority, portable systems, and the 3DS being replace, or it can point to the Wii U replaced and the 3DS sticking around longer. So we really just don't know how this affects the NX. All I can think, is we will be getting info soon.

erv

The "official" axe. I mean, from a new games perspective, it's been in a coma for over a year.

Kind of amazing how it still sits on toy store shelves actually.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

GrailUK

So, does this cast doubt on Zelda BotW being released on WiiU? I know consoles can still get games after they have been discontinued, but I cannot recall a game as high profile as Zelda being released on a 'dead' machine.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

IceClimbers

@GrailUK No, but the Wii U version will probably only be available in limited copies, if not digital only.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@DefHalan On my 32GB internal HHD. That's gotta be a joke. Not going to buy a new HHD just for one game, and I'm certainly not buying an NX because my Wii U lacks internal storage. They would reach an all-time low for me if they cheaped out like that.

@GrailUK After being advertised as a Wii U game for this long? They should've said it earlier if it's an NX exclusive. It's going to be on Wii U, don't worry about that. Besides, they've spend this long building the Wii U version, that would be a waste or resources to just give up on.

Octane

SLIGEACH_EIRE

erv wrote:

The "official" axe. I mean, from a new games perspective, it's been in a coma for over a year.

Kind of amazing how it still sits on toy store shelves actually.

Not just that it still sits on shelves but that it's only €50 cheaper than when it first went on sale. Actually, in a lot of places it's only €30 cheaper. Nintendo never even tried. They were insistent on not taking a heavy hit on losses for the console.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

DefHalan

@Octane Personally, i don't see a reason to release Zelda physically for Wii U if there aren't Wii Us on store shelves, but that is just my point of view. I could be wrong.

What if every "launch" physical copy of Zelda comes with the NX and Wii U version???

GrailUK

@IceClimbers @Octane or maybe the retail version will be CD and cart (game cases with a CD and housing for a memory card above it) A disk is literally pence so it could be a nice crossover.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

upsidedownjim

@Octane Are handhelds often referred to as "handheld console"? I don't think I've heard 3DS referred to as a console. I've usually read it as handheld (ie, 3DS) and console (Wii U) being separate devices/systems. The job headline does say "consoles" so it may refer to a hand-held console and a home console, which may indicate that the NX isn't just one hybrid of the two. Or it refers to this current generation (NX) and future generation consoles. Who knows?

Nothing definitive from that posting - just more speculation.

upsidedownjim

TuVictus

WebHead wrote:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217896272&post... apparently same guy that leaked PS4 Pro design

Wait, so it has a dock that just acts as a TV out and a whole separate other box that acts as a power supply that can stream to the handheld?

If it's how I'm understanding it it's not any more portable than a regular console, lol. It'd be like saying the wii u is portable cuz you can plug in the console and stream to the gamepad. Which, admittedly, is cool. But that doesn't mean the wii u is a handheld console hybrid lol

TuVictus

WebHead

@Operative yeah im having a hard time fully comprehending it.

told you guys, foxconn employees give no craps.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic