Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 70,023

WebHead

@DefHalan this can pretty much replace both. And judging by the people saying it and past stuff, I do believe at least some of it is true.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Bluefiregamer

Lets be honest Everybody wanted a high powered home console that was at least more powerful than the ps4.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

-Green-

@WebHead For wanting it?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Bluefiregamer

Still waiting for the rumored September reveal. Ill most likely get it anyways.

WebHead

@-Red- for expecting it.

WebHead

Bluefiregamer

@Webhead If you keep your expectations high usually you will be dissapointed.

-Green-

@WebHead Well, he did say "wanted" not "expected". Like, I wanted a cool high power console, but didn't really expect it. There's a difference, ya know.

WebHead

@-Red- that was harsh sorry. Truth be told this isn't precisely what I want either but if it's what Nintendo I'd gonna do, I do respect and understand it.

WebHead

shaneoh

Bluefiregamer wrote:

Lets be honest Everybody wanted a high powered home console that was at least more powerful than the ps4.

Actually I'd prefer a new handheld before a new home console, the 3DS is showing its age.

Bluefiregamer wrote:

@Webhead If you keep your expectations high usually you will be dissapointed.

That's why I've always pushed the possibility that the NX could be a handheld

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

WebHead

@shaneoh yes seems we are getting a high powered Nintendo Vita that connects to TV.

WebHead

cwong15

It's premature to take my victory lap, but I did say that the NX would be a portable, that it would have Wii U class power (to run Zelda), and that Nintendo is essentially abandoning the home console market, at least temporarily. Of course, I've contradicted myself many times before, and the above predictions came from someone else. Remember fallax? Here's one of his posts:

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-nx/nintendo_nx_th...

We dismissed him as a fake. But his info matches quite well with these rumors. The NX would be a scalable platform, with the first device being a portable on par with the Wii U. Nintendo initiated the NX to solve the first party game drought problem. The first device won't help with the 3rd party support. But there will be a more powerful x86 based home console NX later (he says also 2017, date unknown) that will attract 3rd party support. Games built for the portable as a baseline can scale to run better on more powerful NX hardware.

I realize we're treating this rumored NX as a hybrid. I personally consider it primarily as a portable. Sure, when you are home you might want to kick back and see the game on the big screen, and those detachable controllers might just explain how a portable can play Just Dance. But the power level classes this as a portable. And Nintendo has the dedicated portable gaming market all to itself. On the other hand, the docking station might mean this NX can run at a higher clock rate when it is not battery-bound, which can crank up its home performance.

Think of the NX as an underpowered home console, and you'd understandably be disappointed. But think of the NX as a powerful 3DS replacement, where Nintendo has no competition and which can do things nobody else can, and things might look up for Nintendo. I still hope to see a dedicated home console NX. But Nintendo would be foolish to reenter that hyper-competitive market where established leaders already have a large game library and user community. Better to build up both the game library and user community with the portable first. Who knows, we might get a home console NX for Christmas 2017.

cwong15

rallydefault

If this is primarily a mobile thing, then I hope to god they just market it as such, and maybe, MAYBE down the line we'll see a "real" home console. I don't know.

But actually, I did want a handheld a bit more than a new home console, so I'm one of the few who is pretty happy with this rumour. I just feel like the home console space is so crowded right now - you have the "twins" that pretty much play all of the same game with a few exclusives sprinkled here and there, and then you always have PC.

But handhelds - we haven't had a new handheld in a long time, and honestly I think the 3DS has some of the coolest, even "deepest" games on it in the last 5 years. Heck, the two Fire Emblems alone have so much going on. If given the chance to keep one game library, the Wii U or the 3Ds, I'd take the 3DS's games hands down. So this rumour, to me, is kind of awesome if Nintendo produces games that are anything like the quality the 3DS has been pumping out.

rallydefault

skywake

Operative wrote:

I fully suspect, if true, their second attempt at getting console and mobile players with a single console is going to fail just as miserably as the Wii U has. The Vita taught us you can't just slap console games on mobile devices. And vice versa.

The Vita had watered down versions of Uncharted, CoD, Assassin's Creed and Little Big Planet. The sort of games that I'd rather play on a big TV. The Wii U had Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon. The sort of games that I'm already playing on my 3DS. Also the Wii U's best sellers and the 3DS' best sellers were largely the same games. And the 3DS has sold almost 60mill units. So I'm not sure it's the same thing at all.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

This thread is getting kinda confusing... can we get a clear picture of what device we are talking about? I have heard of a tablet with two small detachable controllers and a portable device that plugs into a dock to play games on the TV. Both these ideas sound nuts to me, but I am confused on which one we are talking about. (and if it is both, then I guess I should start saving up for a Sony or Microsoft machine now, since I don't think I will be interested in this)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

-Green-

@DefHalan It's apparently both of those. So start saving son

skywake

@DefHalan
From what I understand it has three parts. The first is just the guts of the thing. The second is a dock with all the I/O you need for a home console. The third part is a controller.

How they all click together I have no idea. But I think it's fair to say it's an interesting concept.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@skywake I am just going to have to wait for a offical announcement I think. It just doesn't seem like a good idea from Nintendo

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic