Forums

Topic: Nintendo slaps Metroid 2 remake and 500-plus fangames with takedown orders

Posts 1 to 20 of 33

Bolt_Strike

Ichi wrote:

You could say Nintendo should hire these people behind great fangames. But who at Nintendo should do it? They don't have a proper channel for that, nobody to ensure the quality of these games and to greenlight it. Basically they have to create a whole new division for that. Maybe they just don't see the value in that. I agree they probably should, but it's easy for us to sit on our backs and tell what companies should do without any knowledge of how business works.

I see no reason why Tanabe can't supervise, he doesn't seem to be doing anything. Heck, a year ago he was pretty much begging for a development team, and I'm not sure his situation has changed since then.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

shaneoh

Ichi wrote:

You could say Nintendo should hire these people behind great fangames. But who at Nintendo should do it? They don't have a proper channel for that, nobody to ensure the quality of these games and to greenlight it. Basically they have to create a whole new division for that. Maybe they just don't see the value in that.

It would be a lot of work for minimal payout, they have to sort through all the excrement to find the good ones

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Bolt_Strike

Ichi wrote:

@Bolt_Strike It was a rethorical question...

Three things are needed for this to happen: 1) Nintendo needs to be made aware, and they need to see the possibility and value in it, 2) The higher ups in Nintendo needs to want this to happen, and 3) They need to start a program, like their YouTube program i.e., with a communication team, testers, supervisors and a big boss.

These events might seem very big to us gamers, but they're probably not to Nintendo. They might not be aware of this problem at all, they might not even heard about AM2R. Or maybe they don't see the value in it, or maybe as a Japanese "old fashioned" company it conflicts with some of their other values. Maybe the opinion is split, maybe there isn't a strong opinion one way or the other. And considering how the company is structured a solution like this might prove difficult, as IPs seem to be tied to different "producers".

Point being, this is a very unorthodox practice even among liberal companies, and Nintendo is an "old fashioned" company, we can get mad all we want but we shouldn't be surprised. Nintendo can run the company however they want, and our only right is to voice our opinion. But in the end, Nintendo wants to protect their IP, naturally, so they hire law firms, who do their job indiscriminately within their capacity, naturally. There's nothing unreasonable about it, we're unreasonable because we demand so many things.

Regarding Tanabe, if it seems he's doing nothing these days, there's probably a reason for it. Nintendo is known for burying employees they don't like.

Protecting their IP won't do them any good if said IP doesn't sell. Nintendo needs to get over themselves and adapt to the times, that kind of dictatorial approach to game development is not going to be very profitable for them. They need to be more receptive to what other people are thinking about their products or else they'll lose fans and sales. Yes, we demand a lot but we get to be demanding because it's our money at stake here, Nintendo can only make money by creating a product that appeals to us. That's the way capitalism works.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Ichi wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Protecting their IP won't do them any good if said IP doesn't sell. Nintendo needs to get over themselves and adapt to the times, that kind of dictatorial approach to game development is not going to be very profitable for them. They need to be more receptive to what other people are thinking about their products or else they'll lose fans and sales. Yes, we demand a lot but we get to be demanding because it's our money at stake here, Nintendo can only make money by creating a product that appeals to us. That's the way capitalism works.

Time is always changing. Your money is not on stake unless you put it on stake. You get to be demanding because nobody is stopping you beside yourself. And yes, Nintendo is only making money on products that sells. What's your point?

My point is that Nintendo can't just do what they want and expect people to buy it. They have to listen to what the fans want and appeal to them. Blatantly ignoring the fanbase's demand for a main series game will end up losing them money.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Pahvi wrote:

Agreed on the first sentence. I'd amend the second sentence that ideally they make something the people don't even know they want. Third sentence, not necessarily true.

It's true in this case. Nintendo ignoring a main series game for a mediocre spinoff definitely lost them money.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LzWinky

Untitled

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

Lzeon wrote:

Untitled

Yup. That's what Nintendo's doing to themselves.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LzWinky

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Lzeon wrote:

Untitled

Yup. That's what Nintendo's doing to themselves.

They've been doing it for years and they're still doing fine. I doubt this will impact them that much.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Well, looks like instead of learning to cooperate with fan demand Nintendo is doubling down on the stupid.

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-is-hiring-someone-to-h...

Again, I fail to see how Nintendo benefits from these fangames. If anything, they've caused more problems for Nintendo that could've been easily avoided.

The fan games are doing things that Nintendo doesn't have the guts to include in their games that everyone wants. The biggest example being that fans are making a real Metroid game. Metroid could definitely benefit from the Sonic Mania approach, license a fan developer to work on one for cheap and it won't even matter if it only sells 1-2 million, it'd still be a success for them.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TuVictus

Seriously. But let them freak out. People will continue making fan games and hacks, and I'm glad.

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

shaneoh wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

So what is it that everyone wants?

Although, unlike that episode, Nintendo actually released a quality product.

You have a funny definition of quality.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

You have a funny definition of quality.

Enjoyable, reasonably bug free, yes I can see how my definition of quality may seem alien.

I think it is weird when people's definition of quality is over budget, over priced, over DLC'd, repeatitive, reskined shooters

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

shaneoh

DefHalan wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

You have a funny definition of quality.

Enjoyable, reasonably bug free, yes I can see how my definition of quality may seem alien.

I think it is weird when people's definition of quality is over budget, over priced, over DLC'd, repeatitive, reskined shooters

Or an RPG series with progressively less customisation.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic