Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,108

PCkid

@bimmy-lee Awww, you're touching. You know what, you should put your experience at the service of others.
I think you'll fit perfectly in the role of a guru.
Me, myself and I... Please, never change...

PCkid

bimmy-lee

@Cob ...erm, I mean @PCkid - Another one that doesn’t make any sense. Tell you what, you keep posting lame takedown videos in a music appreciation forum, and I’ll keep thumbing right past them so I can continue learning about music that others appreciate.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Forgotten_Arctic

silence.

Nothing is better than playing a game and having a character say something like, "What was your name again? I forgot. Oh! Forgotten!"

Forgotten Arctic

3DS Friend Code: 3154-0349-0002 | My Nintendo: Forgotten | Nintendo Network ID: forgottenarctic

bimmy-lee

@ForgottenArctic - That’s an interesting one. How silent is your silence actually? Every time I think I’m in silence, I begin to notice a lot of quiet noise. Nice “little known band/artist” thread by the way. It was along the lines of what I was thinking with this one, but this became something a little different, but equally as interesting.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Forgotten_Arctic

@bimmy-lee Thank you!

Nothing is better than playing a game and having a character say something like, "What was your name again? I forgot. Oh! Forgotten!"

Forgotten Arctic

3DS Friend Code: 3154-0349-0002 | My Nintendo: Forgotten | Nintendo Network ID: forgottenarctic

BougieBeetle

Well this conversation got a little heated! Let me try to bring it back with one of my favorite chill-out VG compositions.

I actually find intellectual property to be a deeply fascinating topic, and I've studied it extensively, but I'm not sure this is the right venue for it.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

bimmy-lee

@BougieBeetle - Yeah. I was trying to protect the integrity of conversation in this thread, and keep it from devolving into a debate about IP. Unfortunately in the process, I fell into that exact trap. The other individual has a history of derailing conversations under a different user name.

At any rate, I wanted to share this with you in the Chit Chat thread the other day, but it didn’t seem like the place. A friend of mine sent me a massive book titled, Folk Songs of Another America. It focuses on primitive music in the upper Midwest (IN, OH, MI etc) from 1937-1946. It’s accompanied by a DVD about Alan Lomax’s travels through these states, and a four disc music set, three of which are his field recordings from this trip.

It’s been really fascinating so far as most of Lomax’s recordings in the states are from the S/SE and Appalachia, where music styles were already beginning to blend into the basis for blues, bluegrass, and country. The recordings here are much more central to the different groups that settled the upper Midwest, specifically Irish, German, and Dutch, yet you can still hear a where these different folk styles are starting to blend together due to these people suddenly becoming friends and neighbors. Truly fascinating, and well worth a library rental or purchase if it interests you.

limby-bee was a jerk.

skywake

Been listening to a lot of Beastie Boys recently. Specifically "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two" which I've only very recently got into after ignoring it for a while. Not sure why I didn't get into this sooner, very much my kind of musics

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

bimmy-lee

@skywake - I too have been on a major Beasties binge for the last month or so. I also originally ignored Hot Sauce Committee for unknown reasons. I haven’t given it a fair listen, so you’ve convinced me to give it a couple spins. They seem like kind of a forgotten band at this point, I even sort of forgot about them for years, but man some of their albums are seminal works of the 80s and 90s.

limby-bee was a jerk.

BougieBeetle

@bimmy-lee That's really fascinating! I admittedly don't know all that much about folk music, but I've liked what I've heard and I'm interested in learning more about the traditions. I'll have to look into that stuff you mentioned.

One "folk" artist I do have a soft spot for is Joanna Newsom, I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but this song is fabulous if you ask me.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

bimmy-lee

@BougieBeetle - Whoa, what an unusual, slightly disjointed sound. I’ll listen to more of her stuff, thanks! There’s kind of two different folk sounds, old folk music, like in the book I mentioned, which is rooted in bluegrass and blues, and then folk revival, which came about in the 60s and is still practiced today as evidenced by Joanna Newsom. Her voice does slightly remind me of some of the primitive folk singers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

DenDen

Slipknot - IOWA

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Ryu_Niiyama

First of the month, which means the database and payment systems are on fire (I work for a real estate company) so had to pull out the MJJ. Off the Wall.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic