Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,881 to 3,900 of 12,088

Socar

crimsontadpoles wrote:

@Socar: Amiibo are still required for unlocking on disk content, so it still counts as physical DLC. The biggest issue I have is that if I only want the extra content, then I have to pay the full price of the amiibo. There's no DLC option to pay a fairer price just to get the extra content without a figure.

In what games would you need Amiibo to act as a DLC on disc content? I can't seem to know of any and I can't even think of one either. And even then, the aim of the brand is to make it a collectible as well as an interaction and you don't have to buy multiple Marios to play different types of Mario games now do you?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

AlliMeadow

Socar wrote:

crimsontadpoles wrote:

@Socar: Amiibo are still required for unlocking on disk content, so it still counts as physical DLC. The biggest issue I have is that if I only want the extra content, then I have to pay the full price of the amiibo. There's no DLC option to pay a fairer price just to get the extra content without a figure.

In what games would you need Amiibo to act as a DLC on disc content? I can't seem to know of any and I can't even think of one either. And even then, the aim of the brand is to make it a collectible as well as an interaction and you don't have to buy multiple Marios to play different types of Mario games now do you?

Splatoon and Mario Party 10 both have on disc Amiibo content. I really don't care for the Amiibo, but they are selling well, which is good for Nintendo. I have no problem with some content being locked away behind Amiibo as long as it doesn't exceed what they did with Splatoon.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

GamecubeMan

Its extremely hypocritical if you complain about other companies having on disc dlc and then not batting on eye about amiibo...

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

@GamecubeMan: The content unlocked by amiibo in Splatoon is minimal. I think you can clearly differentiate DLC tactics when other games sell you entirely game modes through DLC. Still, it'd be nice to have an option to buy just the DLC without buying the amiibo. I haven't played Mario Party 10 but I'm guessing it's not that bad.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

GamecubeMan

@Freeon-Leon: I agree it is not nearly as bad. The only thing that Im afraid of is that Nintendo will continue the practice of amiibo festival. However, I imagine the sales will tell Nintendo will lead to no more of this amiibo required games such as this.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

jump

Socar wrote:

crimsontadpoles wrote:

Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Yoshis Woolly World etc

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@Freeon-Leon: Mario Party 10 has an entire mode locked behind amiibo. The 'classic' party mode, where you aren't sharing a car with all the other players.

Octane

Freeon-Leon

@Octane: Hmm, it sounds bad, but when most of the copies were bundled with a Mario amiibo and the fact that you can use a Smash range amiibo makes it less "evil' IMO. Or you can always borrow an amiibo from a friend and use it, right?

@GamecubeMan Yup. I hope Amiibo Festival had opened Nintendo's eyes.

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Socar

@arronishere: Again, the games mentioned still don't feel the DLC disc. I don't have a Wii U but I can tell that the DLC that MK8 has as of now is far huge than the amiibo one.

Again, this really doesn't sound similar to Capcom's on disc dlc really. You are buying a figure that besides the beautiful design, gives additional features.

Nintendo themselves didn't know the Amiibo would sell that huge until now.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

crimsontadpoles

Socar wrote:

Again, the games mentioned still don't feel the DLC disc. I don't have a Wii U but I can tell that the DLC that MK8 has as of now is far huge than the amiibo one.

Splatoon feels like bad DLC practice. Amiibo in it unlocks extra missions that boosts the very small amount of single player in that game. Most amiibo content appears to be created specifically for the amiibo, but with this game I could easily see those Splatoon missions being in the base game if amiibo didn't exist. Even worse, you need to buy 3 different amiibo in order to unlock every mission in the game, bringing up the price of these missions close to the price of the game itself.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

jump

Socar wrote:

@arronishere: Again, the games mentioned still don't feel the DLC disc. I don't have a Wii U but I can tell that the DLC that MK8 has as of now is far huge than the amiibo one.

Again, this really doesn't sound similar to Capcom's on disc dlc really. You are buying a figure that besides the beautiful design, gives additional features.

Nintendo themselves didn't know the Amiibo would sell that huge until now.

You're right at the prices they charging for on disc dlc it's far worse compared to other companys, skins and weapons cost about £1-3, a third of the price of Amiibo and are generally given away as a pre order bonus.

I actually find the amiibo cheaply made. Link has a bendy sword and shield with an ugly stick shoved into his hip. The Yarn Yoshi is nice but they hacked the price up even more and they already cost more than the likes of Skylanders.

They've been selling out for well over a year, why has Nintendo just realised they are successful now? If that's the case Ninty really don't know what they are doing.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Whydoievenbother

Here's a scenario that On-Disc DLC is justified (It hurts me to use "On-Disc DLC" and "Justified" in the same sentence unless there's a "cannot be" in between them):
Let's say a Splatoon 2 is released for $25, BUT in order to get the multiplayer, you have to pay $30 of On-Disc DLC. This would ask less cash from the player, and Nintendo would get more money from it. It's a win-win proposition (maybe not for the distributor though, there has to be a better way for them).

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

Grinding, if used well, can be fun so long as:
The combat is fun
The grind isn't forced on the player
The grind is an option to help progression I.E. Instead of trying to beat the gym leader in pokemon by skill alone, grind to take some of the difficulty off
Leveling doesn't require ridiculous amounts of experience points.

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

What's wrong with easy modes? They're for people who aren't good at games like the game in question. For instance, I'm no good at platformers, but I enjoy platformers. If it wasn't for easy modes in games like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, I'd never finish any of them.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

LzWinky

I think DLC is justified as long as I get $40 (3DS) or $60 (console) worth of content

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Eat_Pie

@DarthNocturnal
You can restart the game if your characters die on Classic Mode. That's how I play.

Eat_Pie

Zizzy

TingLz wrote:

I think DLC is justified as long as I get $40 (3DS) or $60 (console) worth of content

Does that include cost of the DLC? Or are you just talking about free DLC?

Zizzy

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1585-6021 | Nintendo Network ID: Zizzy147

Dave24

MrMario02 wrote:

Grinding, if used well, can be fun so long as:
The combat is fun
The grind isn't forced on the player
The grind is an option to help progression I.E. Instead of trying to beat the gym leader in pokemon by skill alone, grind to take some of the difficulty off
Leveling doesn't require ridiculous amounts of experience points.

1. No amount of FUN is going to overshadow the tediousness of grind period.
2. Well, it's never forced directly
3. Well, that's the POINT. For what else would you grind?
4. Well, it's good as long as it's fun, right? Right?
If there would be no EXP "barrier" (for the lack of better word) and higher lvl req for reaching every lvl, the game would be broken and unbalanced.

Dave24

LzWinky

Zizzy wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Does that include cost of the DLC? Or are you just talking about free DLC?

All DLC

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ThePirateCaptain

I don't mind if DLC is an addition to a complete game, but unfortunately some companies have given DLC as a whole a bad reputation. As far as amiibo goes, the one thing that gives it a pass from me is the fact that one amiibo can be used to unlock content in multiple games.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic