Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 12,088

iKhan

Here's an unconventional unpopular opinion.

I fully expect Rollercoaster Tycoon World to be a good game. The fact that Infogrames (now Atari, Inc.) delayed it while in the financial turmoil they are in, and that they are consulting with Chris Sawyer is a really good sign to me.

And if Sonic Boom is any indication, the developer behind a game isn't always fully responsible for how good or bad it is.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

iKhan wrote:

I fully expect Rollercoaster Tycoon World to be a good game. The fact that Infogrames (now Atari, Inc.) delayed it while in the financial turmoil they are in, and that they are consulting with Chris Sawyer is a really good sign to me.

And if Sonic Boom is any indication, the developer behind a game isn't always fully responsible for how good or bad it is.

I thought I read somewhere that Sawyer wasn't involved with the development of RCT World, I could be mistaken though. That would definitely be good news.

Octane

CrazyOtto

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that Sawyer wasn't involved with the development of RCT World, I could be mistaken though. That would definitely be good news.

As a fan of the RollerCoaster Tycoon series, I've been hoping for an RCT4 for a while, I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

iKhan

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

It's kind of a rollercoaster of a story (he he). First they said he was, Then Sawyer said he wasn't. Then the announcement trailer came out. Then they officially announced he was on the facebook page.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm not sure if I was looking at a fake fan page or not.

EDIT 2: Okay I read a bit more into some interviews. The hype is somewhat gone. They are using that accursed word "streamline", which is basically a death sentence for a business sim game. When are they going to figure out that what made games like Sim City and Rollercoaster Tycoon so damn fun is that you had a massive degree of control. The game was complex, but that was it's appeal, as you learned different strategies understood different features that helped make the park yours.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

Here's big one that has a good chance for discussion

Traditional turn-based JRPG combat is boring for single player games. Fighting generic enemies gets really old fast, so you really only need to focus on strategy for bosses. Additionally, they kind of feel like they blend the worst of both worlds between full action and full strategy (like with a map, like chess, or in games, Fire Emblem). They maintain the monotony just attacking mindlessly from action games, with the show waiting of strategy. It really only shines in things like Pokemon's multiplayer, where both players are intelligent, and it can genuinely play out like a full strategy game.

That said, I think it would be amazing to see if someone could make a Real-time strategy RPG or Tower Defense RPG. Actually, now that I think about it, that would be an absolutely amazing genre for a game based on the Ender's Shadow Universe. Imagine a story about characters like Bean, Alai, Petra, Virlomi, Peter Wiggin, Suriawong, and Han Tzu. You're party adjusts over time with the story. Enemy encounters go into an RTS fight, where you must control the armies the different former battle school students lead. Each party member could have equipment that could be "equipped" that affects the strategy play. Wow I'm getting carried away.

Edited on by iKhan

Freeon-Leon

Pikmin 3 isn't a short game. I guess it could feel like that if you only play games to beat them and not to enjoy them

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

CanisWolfred

Birthday_Boy wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Birthday_Boy wrote:

It's not exactly that retail should be 4x better, but it should be 4x more impressive which in several cases, they are.

I have yet to find a retail game released in the last 5 years that was 4X as impressive as VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, or Shovel Knight, gameplay wise. I mean, there are plenty of games that are longer, but do they actually make good use of its time? Does every level, every challenge, every step of the way just blow me away like these games do, with hardly a hint of filler? To me, that is a much more important accomplishment than sheer volume or graphical fidelity.

Shovel Knight has filler. A good amount too. Like the entire hard mode, or a fair amount of their achievements. The fact that every time you set a cheat code, you always have to go through the first level. That's all filler to me

That is not filler. I'm talking stuff that has no purpose. Levels that aren't that different from the last one, long stretches of nothing, cutscenes that only extend the plot instead of advancing it. Pointless little gameplay elements such as having to restart whole levels when you die at a boss, or overly-long boss battles with no checkpoints, that do nothing but prolong the game rather than enhance it. That is filler. Hard mode is not filler. It's purpose is to make the game more enjoyable for those who desire a greater challenge. Cheats are not filler, they're there to enhance the experience. You want see filler? Play any retail game that averages over 10 hours.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

Kodeen wrote:

iKhan wrote:

That said, I think it would be amazing to see if someone could make a Real-time strategy RPG or Tower Defense RPG.

If you're willing to get away from the J and play on a PC, the Spellforce games are exactly that.

Hmm, the story doesn't seem all too interesting. I don't think fantasy works that well in the western style.

Dreamz

@iKhan
I agree a bit, but I found the Grandia-style turn-based combat in Child of Light to be fun. Wizard101 also has a really interesting turn-based combat style, it's only the animations themselves that get boring due to repeitition.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

iKhan

Dreamz wrote:

I agree a bit, but I found the Grandia-style turn-based combat in Child of Light to be fun. Wizard101 also has a really interesting turn-based combat style, it's only the animations themselves that get boring due to repeitition.

I've played a bit of a Child of Light demo. Something about that game overall just didn't click with me, but in regards to the battle system, I think it still has the same core problem I have with other turn-based battle systems. There is simply a lot of waiting involved.

Now, I don't necessarily mind waiting if it means time to either strategize or see the payoff from your strategy. But most enemies in a typical turn-based system don't require strategy, so it devolves into semi-mindless button pressing with waiting in between. That's why, if it's menu based combat, I prefer something along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles, where there is almost always something to do

Edited on by iKhan

shingi_70
  • Halo 4 is the best of the four mainline games when it comes to Campaign.

-Camelot is wasted on Mario Sports games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CaviarMeths

shingi_70 wrote:

-Camelot is wasted on Mario Sports games.

Not sure if that's unpopular, but I somewhat agree. I like the sports games, but man, those Shining Force credentials and the Golden Sun IP.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LzWinky

Achievements and trophies are horribly overrated

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

I'd rather have Mario Kart Super Circuit than the DKC trilogy on Wii U VC.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThePirateCaptain

Mario Kart: Super Circuit is vastly superior to both Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Shambo

I want Mario Kart with 2 characters on a kart again, or at least the option.

Motion controls made quite some games actually better on Wii than on other systems.

Wario Ware is one of the best gaming series ever.

Game Boy Micro is still one of the nicest consoles ever, despite the fact it did nothing but play GBA games.

Odama needs a sequel.

ZombiU is my favourite survival horror game, since it is just that: survival and horror.

Tingle is hilarious.

Eversince Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect, Goldeneye is just a good memory when it comes to local multiplayer fps-es. But Rogue Agent WAS a fun game.

And it might not be unpopular here, given this is Nintendo Life, but without being a fanboy or loyalist to a corporation, Nintendo has nearly every generation been my overall favourite gaming company, and I like to see familiar Nintendo franchises return and shine most of the time, next to the occasional new faces. Their third party support is often of the most interesting too.

That's it for today.

Shambo

3DS Friend Code: 0473-7756-7818 | Nintendo Network ID: Shambo

BearHunger

@CapnPancakes It sure is. The only thing bad about it is the ranking system, and that does nothing but change the title screen if you get all the 3 starses (I've read).

Edited on by BearHunger

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Grumblevolcano

BearClaus wrote:

@CapnPancakes It sure is. The only thing bad about it is the ranking system, and that does nothing but change the title screen if you get all the 3 starses (I've read).

It is only title screen changes for 3 stars though from what I remember, the SNES tracks are difficult to unlock because of the ranking system too. On a related note, in May Mario Kart 8 will be the only Mario Kart game that has more tracks than Super Circuit.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SkywardLink98

Matchmaking is stupid. Whenever I play online with a matchmaking system one team/person seems to win by a huge margin. I like the concept, I've just almost never seen it work well.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic