Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2020

Posts 81 to 100 of 156

Zuljaras

@Octane I agree about the graphics. It is really the best looking game this generation.

If I have to compare the story on the other hand I would compare it to the 8th season of Game of Thrones and how the fans reacted to it

Anyway I would love to see some new game announcements. I hope for some Elder Scrolls 6

Edited on by Zuljaras

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 Controversial decisions regarding narrative/character choices ALWAYS generate some level of fan pushback against the writers, regardless of how internally consistent the twist or change is with the fictional universe of the piece of media in question, so unless you intend to legitimize every bit of fan outrage out there, I don't think that's necessarily a productive path to go down.

I've not seen a convincing argument for the game being poorly written. What I have seen is people getting caught up in the fictional logic of that work and then misdirecting their anger at the writers. Considering the direction ND decided to go with the game, I'd argue that's, if anything, a sign that their approach to the game was successful.

@Dezzy I mean, it has way outsold previous Zelda games, ranks near the top in most audience polls of their favorite Zelda games, and was a critical darling, so I'd argue it's not divisive, even if most of the hate comes from disgruntled fans who don't want the series to evolve past the formula of OoT/ALttP (although you're very right that early pushback, and especially the review bombing campaign after launch, was motivated by Sony console warriors angry that a game exclusive to a different ecosystem was being lavished with so much love and attention).

Unfortunately, even a tiny group of deeply disgruntled fans can make their minority opinion seem more common than it actually is.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jump

@Balta666 That seems like bad logic, there's numerous kart games that don't sell as well as Mario Kart but that doesn't mean the kart racing formula is unpopular. Immortals isn't BOTW or even Zelda for it to make that comparison to it nor did Immortals get the same kind of must play reception as BOTW.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

Problem with a lot of the legitimate TLOU2 criticism is that it's also being drowned in a lot of hate. I'd be a millionaire if I got a dollar for every time I read "Neil Cuckmann", "leftist agenda", etc. whenever TLOU2 was mentioned. The amount of outrage before launch when people thought Abby was a trans person says enough, and it wasn't even true. So yeah, I definitely feel that it hurts legitimate criticism. No game is perfect. I distinctly remember how my criticism of BOTW was often dismissed because I was a "troll", and I was out there just to spite "Nintendo fans" or something like that

Octane

jump

@Octane you mean you're not a troll?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Balta666

@jump I would say kart racing is a bit different as the competition is not very good in comparison. Immortals on the other hand is both very similar and highly praised by everyone I saw talking about the game.
I am not saying it should be expected to sell as much a botw but so far the rumour mill is saying is not selling well at all (and it did sell better on PS4 than switch in the UK which surprised me)

jump

@Balta666 You can replace Mario Kart/kart racing to any other genre/game combo if you wish, it's just an example of making an apples to oranges comparison.

If anything you can say Immortals failed to get the attention of BOTW fans it was clearly aiming for. Immortals reception is nothing compared to BOTWs, it's in the 70s on Metacritic whilst BOTW is the 90s (with several reviews specifically saying it's not as as good as BOTW ) without nowhere need the same kind of hype/event feel.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Ralizah

@Balta666 I mean, BotW is one of my all-time favorite games, and even I barely have any interest in Gods and Monsters.

Besides, if you wanted to make the same fallacious argument in the opposite direction, you could say that the reason Genshin Impact is so successful is because it reminds people of Breath of the Wild.

Moreover, it's not like BotW sold well at launch and then dropped off. It has sold well for years and years. Far more than any of the other Zelda games. And, as I pointed out, it regularly tops, or comes near the top, of Zelda popularity polls, usually only behind something like Ocarina of Time.

Balta666

@Ralizah the new paper Mario is also the best selling One in the series but I would say no one is going to say it os the best One. Things sell well on switch (and above all first party titles).
Look I am far from saying botw is a bad game (as I said I myself have put more hours into it than any other Zelda game) but it is also true that for many people, myself included, it is hard to look at it the same way following the honeymoon period.
Hence for the famous "just not a great Zelda game".
And I would like if I was not expecting the sequel to stop the weapon degradation and add some tradicional dungeon and story progression.

Edited on by Balta666

Magician

Smash DLC character announcement confirmed for the show tonight.

My guess is Ryu Hayabusa, since we've had rumors of a current-gen port of the Ninja Gaiden Black trilogy floating around for a while now.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/the_next_super_smas...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

I'm guessing Fortnight Guy, hoping for Spyro, Rayman or Ryu Hayabusa among the more likely picks. Though, as this is TGA, whatever series it is will almost certainly have a strong western fanbase (like Persona 5), so Ryu may be out since his fanbase is far stronger in Japan.

EDIT: Also, mentioned this on the Nintendo Switch thread, but Pokemon Go has a TGA event, so TPC is probably there in some manner.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

PikaPhantom

@Magician @link3710
Ninja Gaiden Black trilogy was rumored for March, which may better line up for the next character slot - regardless I think Hayabusa is coming, whether he's announced tonight or not

PikaPhantom

Blooper987

It's gonna be a popular Japanese character whose slowly been increasing in popularity in the West

Atelier Ryza
Danganronps
Ace Attorney
Tales of
Ys

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

EngineerMario

Doom slayer because Today is the anniversary of the Doom series
Crash if they announce the new game for switch
Bomberman one of the 1 switch games
Waluigi will be last
Rayman the 2 game is in speculation
Shovel Knight new amiibos
Ridley if the metroid games announce
The Rabbids 2 game coming out in the future
Dixie kong
Paper mario game came out in aug
Do you agree

EngineerMario

Ralizah

@Balta666 Literally every factor points in the opposite direction. It has sold well consistently for years, far better than other Zelda games (most games tend to sell well on Switch, but this is the first time a mainline Zelda has outsold that generation's mainline Mario game; and most Switch games outsell their predecessors by a couple million copies, not by 5 - 10 million + copies). It consistently ranks near the top of most public polls on favorite Zelda games. It's the second most critically acclaimed game in the series.

Literally all you have to argue against the mountain of evidence that it's not only a loved Zelda game, but the most loved game in the series since Ocarina of Time, is "I don't like it, and a game that seems like it might borrow some elements from it isn't hugely popular." While simultaneously ignoring other, more successful games that might seem like they borrow some elements from it, lol.

At some point, you just have to accept that your opinion is the not the commonly accepted one.

As to Paper Mario? I've heard multiple people express the opinion that TOK is their favorite game in the series. I have no idea how widespread that opinion is, but I also have no reason to think older games in the series are necessarily more popular with the majority of gamers.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

I'd be a millionaire if I got a dollar for every time I read "Neil Cuckmann",

Ha. I did laugh at that though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

PikaPhantom

@nerdface Honestly, I'm not sure which of the 2 - just that a Ninja Gaiden trilogy was rumored

Edited on by PikaPhantom

PikaPhantom

MPSSislit

@kkslider5552000
Okay, thanks for letting me know.
I feel like I saw an article last year saying there were going to be around the same number of announcements at last year's Game Awards. I just didn't know if they've started increasing the number of game announcements the past year or two?

@Grumblevolcano
Okay, that makes sense.
I was about to be surprised if Gears Tactics scored bad, because (almost) every Microsoft published has done well the past few years.
Dang, which Ubisoft game was that, Just Dance?
Also, have you posted your predictions about which announcements will happen and which game will win which award yet?

@Dezzy
Okay, thanks for letting me know.
Oh, I know. I'll probably won't even care for like 3/4 of the announcements.

EDIT:
@EngineerMario
That's a pretty good list, and pretty good theories as to why those characters could make it.

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic