Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 56,381 to 56,400 of 96,507

reporterdavid

@Zuljaras i went to the toystore today and the lowest 2 rows had games with only downloadable games (just the box, no cardridge!) which you could buy.

Have a nice day. Voiceactor: The Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (Neema 2019) - The Torchlighters: The Story of John Newton (Vision Video 2022)

Zuljaras

reporterdavid wrote:

@Zuljaras i went to the toystore today and the lowest 2 rows had games with only downloadable games (just the box, no cardridge!) which you could buy.

Unfortunately this is a pretty common practice for the Switch

For PS4 and Xbox One only some games have codes inside for separate games (Spyro Trilogy) but they at least offer a full game to play right from the physical disc.

On the Switch there are games that are released in both forms like Little Nightmares 1 or Toki. They have both "Code in a box" and a regular box with cartridge. While others like Maid of Sker is available ONLY as "code in a box".

They do that for marketing purposes or in other words "shelf space".

So we can say this is Switch exclusive "feature" for now.

We all know that discs are cheap and that is why other consoles have something playable in the box but to invest in an empty plastic box and shipping is idiotic. If they can't make a proper physical edition they should just distribute it digitally only.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Anti-Matter

@Zuljaras
You can get Spyro Reignited All 3 games in disc from CTR + Spyro Reignited bundle (PAL version only).
Just remember, look at the back cover of Spyro Reignited and texts on the disc, you should find year 2019 to make sure you get the All 3 games in one disc. Don't buy the 2018 version.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter That is some nice info! Thanks! I did not know that!

If I am ever to get those games I will definitely watch for this!

EDIT:
And as we speak about physical games here is my gaming haul for the last 2 weeks!

Untitled

But every day I am thinking more and more about Metroid Dread. I still need to finish Fusion on my GBA

Edited on by Zuljaras

reporterdavid

@Zuljaras I saw it but skipped it. I think it might be nice, but it has to be a personal choice.

Have a nice day. Voiceactor: The Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (Neema 2019) - The Torchlighters: The Story of John Newton (Vision Video 2022)

Anti-Matter

@Zuljaras
Code in box games are like a direct insult toward physical games collector.
Not just only wasting the plastic material, the games also will be disappeared in the future.
If you find Switch games with code in box and no physical cartridge, don't ever buy those products.
Moving on and get the other version (PlayStation or XBOX version).

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Zuljaras
Code in box games are like a direct insult toward physical games collector.
Not just only wasting the plastic material, the games also will be disappeared in the future.
If you find Switch games with code in box and no physical cartridge, don't ever buy those products.
Moving on and get the other version (PlayStation or XBOX version).

Damn right! Those are really insulting

dmcc0

@Anti-Matter Although I do think it's a bit pointless and a waste of plastic, I do kind of see why they do it - visibility on store shelves without the cost of the cart. For those that don't mind digital, just have a display box in-store and sell the code without the box would be a better idea.

It makes zero sense for online retailers to sell a code-in-a-box version though and to then ship you an empty box! If there was an option for them to just email me the code that would be way better.

I've actually bought 2 games as code-in-a-box; both were on my eShop wish list but were somehow cheaper for the "boxed" version. I'm ashamed to say they were bought online too so doubly wasteful. I did get both for the price of one of them on the eShop though, so there is that I suppose.

dmcc0

Sunsy

On the subject of "code in a box," I still find it amusing that the physical release of Apex Legends, titled Lifeline Edition and Bloodhound Edition, on Xbox and PS4 actually bothered to include the game on a disc.

I did get the Lifeline Edition digitally on Switch and PC because I like the game and I main Lifeline, I just find it amusing that EA of all companies put the game on a disc, while the competitor Fortnite sold a code in box for their "Deep Freeze Bundle." Though, I love jokingly saying "Epic sold Fortnite players an empty box for a free game" with my friend, lol.

@MarioLover92 Good movie if you ever get a chance to watch it. That's cool. I never got any physical stuff from Club Nintendo, I did get a few Wii and 3DS games with it, and Earthbound on Wii U because of the program. My Mario hat came with the mustache out of felt, but I still have the hat. It's something I wore one Halloween.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

1UP_MARIO

Mario vs donkey kong tipping stars was a code in a box but was a great deal as they gave you a code for Wii u and 3ds.

Untitled
Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

MarioVillager92

@BruceCM I'll try to remember. Currently I'm at the part where I fight the Alucard clone.

@Sunsy All righty cool. I only watched a couple live-action Disney movies, namely Mary Poppins and the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake. (I kinda like the animated one more, TBH.) All the other ones I've seen, they're all animated.

I do remember getting some games from Club Nintendo as well. I think I got Dr. Luigi as a platinum reward one year? Can't remember all too well, lol, the physical rewards I got were way more memorable. I miss Club Nintendo, by the way. Many of the rewards were really cool to get...My Nintendo feels like a step backwards and it seems like they stopped giving away physical rewards now. I am super happy I got those Metroid Dread posters when they got back in stock...I can't imagine how crushing it would have felt had I not ordered them.

@Anti-Matter @Zuljaras Yeah, I hate those too. I remember when they made Mega Man Legacy Collection in the way that you'd get the first collection on a game card, and you'd have to redeem a download code for the second one. That was the case with the MMX collection too. Couldn't they at least put them in two game cards instead? What were they thinking??? Also, what if I don't have internet access? That would mean that I'm not able to play the second collection.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Zuljaras

@MarioLover92 I must confess ... I envy you so much that you are playing SotN for the first time! This timeless masterpiece is ... no words can describe it!

Also you are in the beginning because you just crossed the long corridor with the floating big eye in the background.

There are some flaws with the game but the again no games is flawless

Have you played the other Castlevania games that came from IGA after SotN? If not I can give you the list to play them all because it is worth it!

PS: Damn I am biased as hell about Castlevania!

Zuljaras

@Link-Hero As I said before this is marketing as it occupies shelf space. That way parents or people that buy gifts can see it and buy it instead of giving someone money and say "there buy whatever you want to the eShop".

Also there is a chance that a clueless parent buys a code in a box without even knowing it because they are not into games. And after that "sorry we do not accept returns for a code in a box"!

See how many reasons are there to screw customers over with plastic waste?

I wish they made them from bio friendly plastic. Or I am in the wrong and the plastic is degradable?

Sunsy

@Link-Hero I have to agree with @Zuljaras on the parents point. For example, they could see a retail copy of Fortnite and think "my kid loves Fortnite, he has an Xbox, I'll give him this for Christmas," without knowing that the game is free to play, and cosmetics can be bought digitally too. I would be easier to get a gift card for digital currency that way.

I like Apex and wanted the Lifeline Edition, so I just bought it digitally. Parents could be shopping for gifts might not know these things could be bought digitally and think a physical copy is the game itself.

This is what I think at least, I don't think every parent thinks this way. I think having digital cards for games works better than an empty case, like an eShop card with the game code on it.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

reporterdavid

@1UP_MARIO the first WIIU/3DS combo game? wow...

tekoii

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween

@MarioLover92 Would be fun. Have a good time with it though ^^! When backlogs attack, the movie. LOL. Right, the GBA ones I heard are definitely more intense, but idk I'm a sucker for that classic pixel art. Oh nice, I heard good things about Persona 4 also. I played bits of 5 but life hit at the time. If you do end up playing LM3, have fun its pretty grand!

@Tyranexx Ahh right, I'm a bit opposite of that with 1 vs 2. The more level based design threw me off for a bit, but I do NEED to finish the game. Right? Love me my new characters. Polter-Kitty was terrifying lol. Still team pup. Ah man, I'm stuck right now choosing my next stream series, Pokemon, Captain Toad, or SMT5. I may just got SMT5 cause it's the big exclusive but meh meh meh. Ahhh okay, I totally see that as a criticism, there isn't enough diversity in that verticality either, though I did appreciate shifting from horizontal to vertical progression. Goodness that buzzsaw...the Devs knew it too lol. Yea, it's an interesting enough and fun mechanic, bit of a missed spot, but this game feels huge. On the next floor the boss was frickin awesome. You can see it in my stream, but I ended up doing a "Father-Son Kamehameha". XD Really a top-notch game for me!

@Anti-Matter Ahh i see, didn't know that about the PS1 era of DDR. I didn't start my DDR journey until PS2 and arcades lmao. But for one thing, this is the reason I really love Stepmania cause it gives me access to what is essentially DDR with unlimited songs, and customization options for the savvy.

@Sunsy Me too, but I can't play any of them outside of emulators because in my fam we tend to give hand me downs, and a lot of my stuff was given away growing up.
This is why I hoped Nintendo would give us some of the classic so I can experience them properly. Some more base NSO stuff would be nice, where's my SMRPG and Earthbound!!
Thanks, but the track was made by NoteBlock. I only adapted the LM3 Remix to a themed video about Magic. If you do watch it, lmk some of the details you notice

Edited on by tekoii

🍄 MK8D ▶️ Youtube 🎨 DeviantArt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic