Forums

Topic: Rock Music Discussion

Posts 261 to 280 of 282

Rambler

@jump
Pantera could get Terry Glaze back and tour Metal Magic?

I was sure the Foo Fighters already had a highly -regarded drummer in them?

Which reminds me of the transformation of Dave Grohl from AD&D enthusiast to rock god

Untitled

Untitled

Although next could be this
Untitled

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I never really gave Metal Magic a listen as I remember folk made fun of it for being their wannabe Van Halen album, is it any good? I'm not a huge fan of them but Vulgar Display Of Power was always one of those albums I went to when I was in one of those moods.

I always go for the "I didn't know Alanis Morrissette was the drummer for Nirvana" joke.

I can't see Grohl drumming, they like long sets I think it was 3-4 hours last time I saw them (yet even with all that time no Nirvana songs?!?) so double duty seems abit much especially as Grohl always blows out his voice on tour so he needs to rest as much as he can.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
Tbh - Pantera are not really my thing in any form. However do find it fascinating that they went from "Woo! Rock all nite!" glam to things like Walk and ***** Hostile. It's a teenage thing - I wasn't in the metal camp, although we had Faith No More as a bridge.

Singing drummers are a small band of rock stars. I can only think of The Eagles, Husker Du, and, er, China Drum.

4 hour sets! That's VFM. Get a tour with the Cure and the Boss and you would have a mini-festival of three acts.

Edit: Dave could do Marigold as a Nirvana song - it's just him anyways?

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Speaking of The Cure I saw them a few weeks ago and they only played for 3 hours which sounds like alot but the first time I saw them they play it was for 5 hours. These old rock stars can't hack it anymore! They did the thing I hate of playing new songs (which is fine as I don't need greatest hits) but they were songs from their new album they haven't released yet so you're hearing them for the first time.

I got a shirt from the gig as I'm sucker for a band shirt of what I though looked really cool but I've heard two comments from different people asking why I am wearing a Harry Potter shirt.
Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

I saw Napalm Death support Skindred and Volbeat (that's basically a mini festival line up!) a month or two ago, and their grumpy down to earth take us as we are vibe has really won me over to becoming a fan now after years of just seeing them as another core metal band which I sadly ignored.

Plus their band shirts slaps so I just bought myself one!

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

I kinda slept a bit on the last Idles album, didn't really click on the first listen. But today The New Sensation came on shuffle and damn, that bass..... bit of a grower this album I think....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake I’m surprised you didn’t like Crawler. It’s the “let’s win back the fans” album after Ultra Mono’s lukewarm reception which has largely worked.

I think it’s a great album with The Beachland Ballroom a great addition to their set lists.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jump

I got message from a mate about seeing a band I’ve not heard of before and I’m bloody smitten with them after giving them a listen! Bloodywood, an Indian Bollywood metal band.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

Bloodywood sounds like when you've been at for a bit too long

Rambler

Rambler

Found out that this is on YouTube!! One of my fave albums of the 90s. If you're into that 90s screamo / post-hardcore thing, especially the UK version, then this should be up your street. It's almost post-hardcore with screamo vocals, so should appeal to Jade Tree / Deep Elm records fans.

Rambler

jump

@skywake you just need to complain that is back when they use to make real music to really feel your age. Lol

As you’re the resident Aussie rock expert, do you know The Lazy Eyes and Vacations by any chance? They been added to All Points East festival I’m going to and I gave them a quick listen on Spotify. The Lazy Eyes are cool, I’m enjoying them but with Vacations I was shocked to see they have 8+ million listeners, is that bots or is there an album that helps them “click”? They also added Amyl & The Sniffers but I’ve been a fan of theirs of ages though.

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

@jump
Vacations I hadn't heard of TBH but The Lazy Eyes I have. Although I kinda feel like they just kinda blend into the over-abundance of psych-rock that seems to be everywhere here ATM. Tame Impala, Pond, King Gizzard and the dozen or so other bands and side projects in their orbit

Amyl & The Sniffers though, been fairly popular for a while. I mean, obviously not Tame Impala tier popular where everyone from Swifties to Bogans to Soccer Mums and Hip-Hop heads listen to them. But I'd say popular enough that anyone who is into Rock and hasn't been living under a rock for the last 5 years has them in a playlist. Probably like Pond tier popular. Popular enough that you wouldn't be shocked if they played it before the ad-break at the footy if it wasn't, you know, someone screaming "out comes my knifey"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake Yeah, The Lazy Eyes aren’t gonna set the world on fire (but not every band needs/wants to) however I do like that Imaginary Girl song.

I’m really stumped by Vacations then. They have a lot more listeners than loads of major international acts like Arcade Fire, Haim, The National, The XX, London Grammar, Christine & The Queens etc yet seem bang average and even their fellow music loving countrymen don’t seem to know them. They must be on one of those rubbish Spotify playlists so people are playing them without listening to them.

In the UK Amyl & The Sniffers have easily eclipsed Pond in popularity, I think it’s their pub rock sensibilities which makes it easy to cross over with all British guitar music listeners. They seem to pop up at a lot of festivals I’m go to in higher positions than the last time I saw them. Good for them, the first time I saw them was basically at the back of a pub where I chatted with them for a bit afterwards and they seemed really nice.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

I’m came across an article which has a price listing for loads and loads of bands you can book.

Ghost are shockingly cheap for an arena band. You can get the legendary Yardbirds for a song. You can book Black Sabbath (so they are technically still together?) but what’s the point since Ozzy will just cancel it. To book Avenged Sevenfold it is twice as much as Slipknot? How are The Steroephonics charging a million a show, it’s not the 00s anymore. Cradle Of Filth are only 3k, I’m tempted to get enough mates together to chip in to hire them for a private gig. You can book Spinal Tap for some reason. Lost Prophets are listed eww…

https://lambgoat.com/lists/5/how-much-it-costs-to-book-your-f...

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jump

Ooh! A new podcast recently launched called 2 Promoters 1 Pod. It's hosted Gav the guy that runs Damnation Festival and James who runs the ArcTanGent and 2000 Trees festivals where they discuss things like bands getting upset by font size on a poster, how Slayer took the bees wack reforming after breaking up 3 years later.

Nicolai wrote:

ian_beale

jump wrote:

I’m came across an article which has a price listing for loads and loads of bands you can book.

I book for a couple of smaller festivals and these prices are wildly out of line with reality. Clinic are listed for 45K - I booked them for 1K. Similarly, there's no way in hell anyone is paying Conan 20K. I know the article says that these are "fly in" prices, but I suspect that they're "fly ins that they really don't want to do". Like: how much would you charge to fly to Dubai to play a private show for an oil company?

On the flipside, I think you'll need to find an extra 0 for that private CoF set sadly.

Edit: it also think Lord Spikeheart (who's great, but is yet to release a solo album, and would probably draw about 200 people in London) would charge the same as King Crimson (who sold out 2 nights at the palladium (totaling around 4,500), with tickets starting at £80)

Edited on by ian_beale

ian_beale

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic