Forums

Topic: Old school gamers over 35?

Posts 101 to 114 of 114

Zeldafan79

Why you whipper snappers with your mypods and your online gaming! In my day we played games on our box TV's and if we wanted to play two player we sat there in front of it together like real friends! Oh and what's all this i been hearing about DLC? We had that in my day too. We called it Dusty Lame Cartridges. Now scuse me while i go put in my favorite movie short circuit and fix me a bowl of Count chocula!

80's kids rule!😜

Zeldafan79

App

@Zeldafan79 no, 90's kids rule!

Edited on by App

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Blooper987

@Zeldafan79 @Apportal wish I grew up in the 80’s or 90’s. So much better than things are now. Also I would’ve loved to be there during the SNES days.

Blooper987

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

App

If we're all adults here, does that mean we can use language If so:

crap

Edited on by App

App

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

ivory_soul

I'm 30 and grew up with the 16-bit era. I honestly don't think I missed much during the 8-bit era. It really didn't age well outside of a few select games. As I get older I interact with younger people who grew up with Xbox 360/PS3 and I can see why the industry is changing the way it is and why everyone wants instant gratification. I do understand that tech needs to advance and things change, but I miss the simplicity. The PS1/N64 era was during most of my childhood and I do miss it. 30 years and I have only met one game collector in person who doesn't work at a retro game store? I feel isolated in the game world. Sorry, just random thoughts.

ivory_soul

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul

darthstuey

I’m 48. Started out in late 70s with Adventure and Combat on 2600 then jumped to C64 for many years. Retired mid 80s but then in the early 90s I got into the NES and Gameboy. Never stopped since then until the birth of my first son in 2003 when I honestly thought I would never game again. I sold my entire collection, including a boxed Virtual Boy and Jaguar CD for about 30 quid each.
Got back into it again and have since built up a reasonably well stocked games room.
I mostly play homebrew carts on the Jaguar these days but I love stuff like Dark Souls, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn as well as the many super indie titles on offer. I have every Nintendo console and handheld once again (bar the Virtual Boy- I opted to buy a Vextrex instead of rebuying one.)
Fav game of all time is Tempest 2000 by the genius that is Jeff Minter.

Edited on by darthstuey

darthstuey

Twitter:

DreamStar

ivory_soul wrote:

I'm 30 and grew up with the 16-bit era. I honestly don't think I missed much during the 8-bit era. It really didn't age well outside of a few select games. As I get older I interact with younger people who grew up with Xbox 360/PS3 and I can see why the industry is changing the way it is and why everyone wants instant gratification. I do understand that tech needs to advance and things change, but I miss the simplicity. The PS1/N64 era was during most of my childhood and I do miss it. 30 years and I have only met one game collector in person who doesn't work at a retro game store? I feel isolated in the game world. Sorry, just random thoughts.

I respectfully disagree with you ..The 8bit era was an amazing era,to me a lot of 8 bit games aged quite well ..I am in my 40s and I have been playing video games for almost 40 years ,and collecting video games for 26 years ..I also have never worked in a retro game store,although I did once think about opening my own store ..Than I wisely realized I probably would not make any money ,because I probably take home a lot of my stock ..

Edited on by DreamStar

DreamStar

Scrubicius

@DreamStar ahhh 8-bit was good but the 16-bit did Rock with Super Mario World, Starfox or the Star Wars.

Scrubicius

Switch Friend Code: SW-0206-3193-2438 | My Nintendo: Scrubicius | Twitter:

DreamStar

Scrubicius wrote:

@DreamStar ahhh 8-bit was good but the 16-bit did Rock with Super Mario World, Starfox or the Star Wars.

Oh ,I completely agree ..The 16bit era was certainly when video games started to develop into the fine industry we have today ..But the 8bit era will always hold a special place in my heart ,because it is when I had the fondest memories of waking on Christmas mornings or birthdays and opening up a brand new game ..With the smell of the plastic baggie,and seeing the printed manual that came with that game ,and the fact the games were more about quality,than just about graphics ..Sure some of those memories carried over into the 16bit era ,but not quite like the 8bit era ..Also when I first saw the 1989 firm “The Wizard “that made me fell even more in love with the 8bit era ..I mean SMB3 was amazing ,it still is ..

Edited on by DreamStar

DreamStar

Slowdive

@DreamStar I share your sentiment. Nothing can touch the memories I had when I played The Legend of Zelda for the first time, that huge world...full of secrets. Super Mario Bros. 3 was and still is...magic. The Super NES-era was amazing as well though.

You can take me out of the '90s, but not the '90s out of me.

sdelfin

@DreamStar Many 8-bit games have aged very well. But I also think many have not. I think when people say that the 16-bit era games have aged better, it's important to remember that the design principles that were common in the 1990s were the result of the experimentation that happened in the 1980s. They wouldn't have known what ideas worked without trying them. The 16-bit era was a refinement of what came before. But I also think it was great to have experienced the NES and Sega Master System when they were current and there were a lot of possibilities at that time. I just played Super Mario 3 two weeks ago. Still magic.

sdelfin

DreamStar

sdelfin wrote:

@DreamStar Many 8-bit games have aged very well. But I also think many have not. I think when people say that the 16-bit era games have aged better, it's important to remember that the design principles that were common in the 1990s were the result of the experimentation that happened in the 1980s. They wouldn't have known what ideas worked without trying them. The 16-bit era was a refinement of what came before. But I also think it was great to have experienced the NES and Sega Master System when they were current and there were a lot of possibilities at that time. I just played Super Mario 3 two weeks ago. Still magic.

I agree that the 16bit games certainly aged better in regards to how many of them look on modern HDMI TV sets ..But that being stated in my opinion the 8bit era has nostalgia that the 16bit era simply does not have ..Please don’t get me wrong the 16bit saw and produced a lot of nostalgic Master Pieces in it’s own right ,but that nostalgia does not have the charm that the 8bit has ..To add to your statement many of the 16 bit titles have aged well ,likewise many of them have not ..Especially on the Genesis ..Please don’t even get me started with the N64 ,which 90% of the library by today’s standards just plain suck in the graphics department..

Edited on by DreamStar

DreamStar

lizardbish

35 year old here. Hi! I have an older sister so when I was a kid I actually played a Commodore 64 and various Game and Watch that were hand-me-downs, but I was very young so I don't remember much about them. But I do remember I kept doing back to play again and again.

My first proper consoles were the Mega Drive and the Game Boy. That's where the obsession really began.

Switch friend code: SW-7938-2538-6283
Now playing:
Hades (Switch)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic