Forums

Topic: Nintendo admits its casual focus with the gaming industry has failed.

Posts 121 to 140 of 180

sdcazares1980

I have been saying this for a very long time and some people won't even want to admit that this is the reason why Nintendo has been viewed as a second-class console. And please, spare me the argument about how many Wii units are sold compared to the HD counterparts; just because it has sold more, doesn't necessarily mean that people will play them more.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any casual games, but the fact of the matter is if that you're selling a video game console, you must appeal to the traditional audience more than the casual audience. If you want to make games for the casuals, make them for the iPhone; that seems to be a better market for them.

sdcazares1980

LzWinky

sdcazares1980 wrote:

I have been saying this for a very long time and some people won't even want to admit that this is the reason why Nintendo has been viewed as a second-class console. And please, spare me the argument about how many Wii units are sold compared to the HD counterparts; just because it has sold more, doesn't necessarily mean that people will play them more.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any casual games, but the fact of the matter is if that you're selling a video game console, you must appeal to the traditional audience more than the casual audience. If you want to make games for the casuals, make them for the iPhone; that seems to be a better market for them.

Oh really? Then why DID the Wii do so well?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

sdcazares1980

Kage_88 wrote:

What? The dude who wrote this article seems a little butthurt about Nintendo.

Seriously though, I'm sick of these self-righteous 'hardcore' gamers that throw their toys out of the pram whenever Nintendo does something they don't like. Oh, and I like how this little quote from Iwata was omitted:

"On the other hand, we wonder what would have happened to the video game industry if we had not made efforts to expand the gaming population, and whether you would be able to see a bright future for a kind of entertainment in which the number of new consumers was not increasing.

"From these viewpoints, my belief has not changed at all. Without making efforts to increase the number of new consumers and make video games accepted positively by society, we cannot expect a brighter future than now, so we will continue to make these efforts."

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/346121/nintendo-plans-to...

Nintendo's 'casual' strategy has not "failed", as the OP so errenously put it (95 million Wiis can't be wrong). Iwata and Nintendo are just making it clear that there has been a disppointing follow-through regarding software sales, and that they are re-focusing on the "depth" (core) along with the "width" (casual). They are not abandoning their 'blue ocean' strategy. Why would they?

Just because a system sells more doesn't mean people are going to be playing it more. Nintendo's software lineup is the reason why I bought an Xbox 360 because their third party games are vastly superior to the Wii's. I see that you also own an Xbox 360. Admit it: if Nintendo's third-party line were as identical as the Xbox/PS3's, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If Iwata wants to make more casual games for Nintendo, then fine, but remember that he let that idea get into his head to the point in which "hardcore" gamers like myself bought another system. The idea of competition is for people to play their systems more, not just sell them for a cheap gimmick.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980

LztheBlehBird wrote:

sdcazares1980 wrote:

Oh really? Then why DID the Wii do so well?

I've already mentioned about sales. I don't have to repeat myself.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980

WaveBoy wrote:

Cheap gimmick? Man, you could say the same about HD graphics, which could be thought of being a new nice shiny visual gmmick. When motion controls are done right they are outstanding.. When all said and done, it's all about the FUN. Maybe i'm just getting tired of most modern gaming(Many of these traditionally controlled big budget 3D polygon riddled interactive hollywood video game movies do nothing for me whatsoever), but i sold my Xbox after a year and a half since i became absolutely bored with it, i guess it just wasn't for me aside from a few 3rd party titles. While my PS3 is getting absolutely no game time as of late(Actually, since Resident Evil 5. lol ). Different strokes!

It IS about the fun, but it is also about the content and who the audience is. If you think that Nintendo's audience isn't aimed for the casual/family gamer, then you must be absolutely blind. Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying good casual gaming, but I feel that Nintendo's "abandoning" of the "core" gamer is making them reflect on how they got successful in the first place. I'll give the 3DS a pass on this one since handheld gaming is a completely different animal.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980

WaveBoy wrote:

sdcazares1980 wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

Cheap gimmick? Man, you could say the same about HD graphics, which could be thought of being a new nice shiny visual gmmick. When motion controls are done right they are outstanding.. When all said and done, it's all about the FUN. Maybe i'm just getting tired of most modern gaming(Many of these traditionally controlled big budget 3D polygon riddled interactive hollywood video game movies do nothing for me whatsoever), but i sold my Xbox after a year and a half since i became absolutely bored with it, i guess it just wasn't for me aside from a few 3rd party titles. While my PS3 is getting absolutely no game time as of late(Actually, since Resident Evil 5. lol ). Different strokes!

It IS about the fun, but it is also about the content and who the audience is. If you think that Nintendo's audience isn't aimed for the casual/family gamer, then you must be absolutely blind. Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying good casual gaming, but I feel that Nintendo's "abandoning" of the "core" gamer is making them reflect on how they got successful in the first place. I'll give the 3DS a pass on this one since handheld gaming is a completely different animal.

I guess I am a bit blind, because i hardly focus on the Casual side of the Wii. I realise that it's perhaps 50/50, but there are some great casual titles like Wii Sports Resort for example, amongst the terrible none-Nintendo developed pool of casual throwaways. These 3rd party developers like Ubi know that the soccer mom casuals don't know any better and they eat it up anyways! Take Wii Play for example. Isn't it considered the Wii's number 1 selling game still? And why is that? It didn't exactly get raving reviews. Although Laser Hockey I'll admit blew me away the first time i played it, wii pointer pong was all sorts of awesome.

And yess, i'll admit during around E3(09' was it?) with the Wii Music reveal and complete 'casual' focus had me slightly worried. I didn't exactly think Nintendo 'abandoned the hardcore gamer at all, just that it was slightly focusing more on the casual side of things considering the amount of cash they were making off of their casual based titles. Nintendo was still churning out the big hits, but the casual focus took over. That's not the case anymore though.
If anything i felt that Nintendo completely abondoned the 'retro gamer' with the N64. Where were my bloody sprite based titles Nintendo!? 3D Platformer after next, rinse repeat. There were some groundreaking titles, the inclusion of the revolutionary wonderful analog stick and the full scope 3D worlds and Rumble pack. But great titles were few and far between and the console was incredibly lacking in variety which the PS1 actually had......The N64 i feel was Nintendo's weakest effort aside from the few home runs they delivered and the outstanding launch and the innovative gameplay/3D graphics.

And 3DS so far, has been absolutely fantastic. No complaints there, aside from the ho hum launch which i can easily forget. Best portable so far baren none and i haven't even played Super Mario 3D Land, Zelda OOT 3D, Kid Icarus Uprising and Mario Kart 7 yet . lol I guess the 3D effect being the visual and at times gameplay changer has comepletely blew me away in most cases, making the experience far more immersive, fun and magical. 3DSWare and the VC are wonderful additions as well.

But really, we're not going to change anybodies minds. I adore the wii, motion controls when done right are revolutionary and flat out fun, even some of the casual offerings are enjoyable and the 'VC'( hell yes!) ect ect to the point where i completely over look that negative being the casual focus(when there was) because i'm having too much of a blast with this console to care.

It's cool that you're having a blast with the Wii to the point that you don't even care, but I suspect that most gamers like myself don't feel this way. I hate the fact that I would "have to" buy two consoles again if it turns out that both the Xbox 720 and PS4 will have more superior hardware than the Wii U.

sdcazares1980

MAB

Have to agree with the wavesta in this discussion. When you see through all the HD shiny polygons what we are left with is a shallow gameplay experience full of scripted linear pathways to the next 30 minute cutscene. I gave the PS3 a chance for 3.5 years to give me some variety other than FPS‚ FPSRPG‚ FPSMMO until I realized what was happening. I was buying the same crap over and over again, ya know. The Wii has that great variety I was after from the beginning and the few FPS it has are great to control from a gameplay perspective without even worrying about the HD grafx goggles you can give me a PS360 with 500 games and a Wii full of VC games and you can bet ya hyper colour t-shirt I will be on the Wii baby.

And seeing the CASUAL word being thrown around in this thread has resorted me to bring up
STARWARS KINECT

Edited on by MAB

MAB

Adam

I don't care so much about the Wii's lack of HD itself, ribbit, but the attendant lack of third-party support, ribbit. I hope Wii U changes that so we can get all the new fighting games and RPGs, ribbit.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

LzWinky

Adam wrote:

I don't care so much about the Wii's lack of HD itself, ribbit, but the attendant lack of third-party support, ribbit. I hope Wii U changes that so we can get all the new fighting games and RPGs, ribbit.

Ok, this is starting to bug me. Define "third party support". Last I checked, several third parties supported the Wii like Sega and Ubisoft. Perhaps the definition is "third parties that make the big games on PS3 and the 360". Am I correct in assuming this?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

shingi_70

SHOCKING NEWS THE ONLY GENERES ON THE PS3/360 ARE MUTIPLE VARIENTS OF THE FPS. HOW COULD THE LAST 5 GAMES I'VE PLAYED ON SAID CONSOLE HAVE BEEN FEZ, BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM, FABLE HEROES, TRAILS EVOLOUTION AND THE WALKING DEAD. Surely yhose games must not exist as madaussieblok had a ps3 and only found shooters.

And the wii was a gimick I know acendotal evidence but I know people who bought the wii only for wii sports.

HD graphics aren't a gimmick as the power if the hardware allows for more complex experinces to be made.

Kincet star wars is a pretty ***** on rails motion game. As for the 60 fps 2nd that's due to the hardware limitaions of the lens and lack of proccesor in the unit . The orginal dev unit didn't have these limits (did have a few limits like not being able to read a few things) but it was gimped to be cost effective.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

LzWinky

Sony_70 wrote:

SHOCKING NEWS THE ONLY GENERES ON THE PS3/360 ARE MUTIPLE VARIENTS OF THE FPS. HOW COULD THE LAST 5 GAMES I'VE PLAYED ON SAID CONSOLE HAVE BEEN FEZ, BATMAN ARKHAM ASYLUM, FABLE HEROES, TRAILS EVOLOUTION AND THE WALKING DEAD. Surely yhose games must not exist as madaussieblok had a ps3 and only found shooters.

And the wii was a gimick I know acendotal evidence but I know people who bought the wii only for wii sports.

HD graphics aren't a gimmick as the power if the hardware allows for more complex experinces to be made.

Kincet star wars is a pretty ***** on rails motion game. As for the 60 fps 2nd that's due to the hardware limitaions of the lens and lack of proccesor in the unit . The orginal dev unit didn't have these limits (did have a few limits like not being able to read a few things) but it was gimped to be cost effective.

Yikes! We need an editor in this thread pronto!

shingi_70

LztheBlehBird wrote:

Adam wrote:

Ok, this is starting to bug me. Define "third party support". Last I checked, several third parties supported the Wii like Sega and Ubisoft. Perhaps the definition is "third parties that make the big games on PS3 and the 360". Am I correct in assuming this?

Yep no gives a flying well you know aboyt red steel or mario and sonic. (Not saying those games are bad). Even the devs you named don't put there big games on the wii like binary domain and trails evolution.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

LzWinky

Sony_70 wrote:

LztheBlehBird wrote:

Adam wrote:

Yep no gives a flying well you know aboyt red steel or mario and sonic. (Not saying those games are bad). Even the devs you named don't put there big games on the wii like binary domain and trails evolution.

Just Dance isn't a big game? Ubisoft will tell you otherwise

shingi_70

I mean big for the core audience. Its not a game that gets he same people who plan to buy bioshock infinite for the most.

Then again I'm pretty sure you knew that as the conversation was on nintendos attempt to re-capture the core.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

MAB

Sorry SonyBoy forgot to mention the new FPS/3rd person clones that have been banging on for 10 years or more.
Batman - walk here punch dude then walk backwards there punch another dude now watch 30 minute cutscene

MAB

shingi_70

As opposed to Mario go from point A to point B and. Jump o.

And I'm pretty sure you haven't played a batman game as there are entire parts of the game where the howl is too stay out of sight using.

But the. Again the whole hating western and non nintendo banes aren't a new thing round these parts.

WAT!

LzWinky

Sony_70 wrote:

I mean big for the core audience. Its not a game that gets he same people who plan to buy bioshock infinite for the most.

Then again I'm pretty sure you knew that as the conversation was on nintendos attempt to re-capture the core.

Funny, a lot of people bought the sequels too!

Oh, right, they aren't core gamers so they don't count for anything, right?

shingi_70

Well no doubt the game is a top seller its a music based dance game for a system with motion. Those are the new music games. What im saying is take the guys who broswe this site or say neogaf for example. That type of game isnt a gamer game. Im personally fine with it as i like dance central and ubisoft has pretty much said in interviews yhat the money made off of just dance help fund stuff like xriver and rayman origns.

Ans i never said anything but core gamers matter. In fact its quite the opposite but were talking about the core which is most important at the start of a console generation.

WAT!

Aviator

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Batman - walk here punch dude then walk backwards there punch another dude now watch 30 minute cutscene

Mario, walk right. INNOVATION!!

Batman is one of the best games available, and you clearly have not played it.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

LzWinky

Aviator wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Mario, walk right. INNOVATION!!

Batman is one of the best games available, and you clearly have not played it.

Oh yeah? He can walk left or up too in some stages! Innovation ftw!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.