Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,201 to 3,220 of 3,268

HotGoomba

@Snatcher Yeah, the animation is undeniably amazing, but it's Pixar, they always have great animation.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Snatcher

@HotGoomba Great animation, poor storyline and writing.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

🏳️‍⚧️

Anti-Matter

@HotGoomba
Ah, I see.
I have watched it from YouTube.
I prefer gay relationship actually. 😆

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HotGoomba

Snatcher wrote:

@HotGoomba Great animation, poor storyline and writing, excellent cat.

I 100% agree.

Don't click on it.

Snatcher

@HotGoomba Hey I Totally said excellent cat! no, wait I said They totally had an excellent cat what’s happening!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

🏳️‍⚧️

Sunsy

TheJGG wrote:

Please don’t see this movie. Go watch Toy Story again.

Too late, already did thanks to Disney+. I did enjoy Lightyear towards the end more than the early part, the setup was kind of weird. It's not the best Pixar movie I've seen. Will admit, I'm actually glad I went to see a two year old animated movie that I love as my summer theater movie, rather than this one or Minions (FWIW, I'll watch it when it comes to Peacock just to see it myself if I like it or not). It's not a movie I'd go rushing to the theater for or to buy on DVD or something.

Though, the cat was the best character, lol.

Honestly, I felt Luca and Turning Red were better. Lightyear isn't the worst IMO, but I can think of better movies I could watch.

Will admit, Andy's world had really good CGI considering that was the movie he watched in 1995, lol.

Tagging @Snatcher too.

Can someone explain this to me, why on earth do "IMAX enhanced" movies change aspect ratio? First it was Guardians of the Galaxy, then it was Lightyear. Just never experienced it with other movies before, or been to an IMAX theater. All the theaters I've been to are regular ones.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

HotGoomba

Sunsy wrote:

Though, the cat was the best character, lol.

Untitled

Edited on by HotGoomba

Don't click on it.

Mioaionios

Sunsy wrote:

Can someone explain this to me, why on earth do "IMAX enhanced" movies change aspect ratio? First it was Guardians of the Galaxy, then it was Lightyear. Just never experienced it with other movies before, or been to an IMAX theater. All the theaters I've been to are regular ones.

That's because IMAX movies have a different aspect ratio of 1.90:1 instead of the usual 2.39:1. True IMAX is even taller with 1.43:1 but those theaters are very rare.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

Snatcher

@Sunsy Turning red got way to much flack, just because the animation wasn’t light year quality, it took a more anime ish style and it got hate for that, despite actually being a pretty good film.

And I also have to agree. The cat was the best part, I mean, come on, can you even argue that?

🏳️‍⚧️

Sunsy

@Mioaionios Alright, so just a different screen size. Though more or less I was thinking of when aspect ratios change. For example in Guardians of the Galaxy, it's 2.39:1 in some scenes, then 1.90:1 in some scenes. I haven't been to an IMAX, but I've seen this happen in both Guardians and Lightyear on Disney+.

Just never seen that happen before to other movies.

@Snatcher I agree, I don't think it was an anime-ish style that got hate, I remember some were mostly complaining about the characters having "bean mouths." I love cartoons and animation, but those vocal few who complain about something as minor as a character's look, it almost makes me feel embarrassed to be a fan at times.

I have to agree with the cat, it's so hard to argue.

Sunsy

Snatcher

@Sunsy I understand that bean mouths are something people kinda got sick off after Steven universe, but judging the whole movie biased off of it is annoying.

🏳️‍⚧️

Sunsy

@Snatcher Agreed, will admit, I haven't watched many cartoons with the infamous bean mouth that people talk about. The only ones that stick out is Gravity Falls (from the few episodes I've seen, was a good show), and Home: The Adventures of Tip and Oh, which is a cartoon based off the DreamWorks movie Home, which IMHO, is kind of an underrated movie sticking to the subject of movies..

Also, didn't Luca feature the same "bean mouths" as Turning Red, and IIRC, the reception to that movie has been pretty positive in general?

Sunsy

Mioaionios

@Sunsy
When aspect ratios change mid-movie it's because certain scenes were shot with different cameras, in this case IMAX cameras.

Xenoblade Enthusiast

Snatcher

@Sunsy Ikr? It’s kinda why I think it might be a graphics issue. That movie was not trying to look graphically impressive (Though that food) so I guess people got mad at them for that? Idk, I really can’t understand.

🏳️‍⚧️

Maxenmus

TheJGG wrote:

Plot was okay. Kept me engaged because of the interesting setup. Plot twist was decent. But it was literally RPG levels of lazy quests.

I didn't watch this film but I got the plot twist spoiled for me, and I thought it was a brilliant twist... if it hadn't already been done to death over the past decade. The whole 'shadow self' trope is practically a safe by-the-book technique in storytelling. Not saying that going by the book when telling stories is wrong, but when you refrain from including any originality or spice into the mix, I'd much rather dig up some TV show or movie from decades ago with fresher perspectives to spare. Life is short, and I can't support every single movie that comes out if they don't offer me anything new under the sun even if they're competently made films.

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Sunsy

Watched Grease tonight, classic movie, one of those movies my mom and I both like. Mom wanted to watch it and I think you can sadly guess the reason why too.

@Mioaionios Interesting, I always thought it was one camera type and they're changing the aspect ratio for some scenes. Ever since seeing Guardians, it was something I noticed the movie did. Thought it was just something special they did for the movie, but then I noticed the IMAX enhanced on Disney+. Thanks for the answer.

@Snatcher The food in Turning Red always looks great, it actually made my mother want to order Chinese food one night. Me niether, it sounds like we saw two differing opposing opinions. Me being about the "bean mouth," and the you seeing it about the animation.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

Kermit1

@Sunsy I'm going to watch Xanadu on friday. In memory of her, plus I've never seen it and my Mom has and says it's super campy and all the cheese. I love a good slice of cheese.

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

SW-0553-8644-3608 I'm Kermit1 and ask before you friend please

#TeamSlime

Sunsy

@Kermit1 Yeah, mom and I were surprised by the news about Olivia Newton-John today. I never seen that movie either, but I've heard of it. Enjoy the movie!

Sunsy

TheJGG

Snatcher wrote:

The biggest issue with the movie I had was how rushed it felt, and what it could have been.

The movie would have benefited from being more serious, but it was just to silly, even tho it could be when it wanted to.

Oh absolutely. It's one thing I've noticed with American (sometimes Western in general) movies, they always go at breakneck speed. Luca has this problem, though it was used in a good way. Not this time. There's always something that has to happen in the background. Everything has to be necessary otherwise it's not worth doing.

That's not always true. By comparison lots of story-driven JRPGs have more scenes without much story weight, but stuff that builds the world, explores characters more, or just gives them a good time. It's a shame... same with the comedy. I did like Buzz' comedy since there were callbacks to his lines from Toy Story (you're... mocking me, aren't you?). Everyone else is terrible.

@Mioaionios That sounds on point. A lot of action scenes, if not all of them, were due to some mistake. I dunno if they’re trying to send some kind of message about how rookies are just as competent as Space Rangers… but it didn’t land.

@HotGoomba Fair. You’d think that Buzz would be a little more serious in his own movie. But Buzz has always been a comedic character. His defining trait was always acting like a Space Ranger despite actually being a toy, if that doesn’t say comedy I don’t know what does.

I feel like the humour was surprisingly basic compared to what Pixar is known for though. The Incredibles was really special since it had both adult and child comedy. Slapstick and also twofold jokes that were funny as a child and then when you grew up. This by comparison feels a little cheap humour wise.

@Sunsy I think up until a certain point I would have said it was a decent movie. But introducing the new cast ruined it. Shame, the set up as you say was pretty interesting.

@Maxenmus Yeah I knew the whole plot of the film before I saw it… I just didn’t care all that much. That’s the issue with some films nowadays, they’re not even bad enough to get a reaction out of me, just apathy. But ah well, you’re right.

Xenoblade Novel

Currently playing?
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5)
Nintendo Switch Sports
Animal Crossing: NH (NS)
Breath of the Wild (NS)
LEGO Star Wars (NS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Maxenmus

Today I learned that The Boss Baby got an Oscar nomination... over five other anime films in 2018.

The Boss Baby. Let that sink in.

Thank god I've stopped watching the Oscars for a decade now, but it also goes to show how little appreciation American award shows have for foreign Japanese animated films. Yeah, Japanese, not "foreign" 'coz obviously a bunch of French animated films got tons of awards. It's just "anime" 'coz they're still considered to be this weird, weeaboo niche for basement dwellers, apparently.

Edit:
Let's see, in Oscars 2022, we have four American animated films (Encanto, The Mitchells vs The Machines, Raya and the Last Dragon, Luca) and one Danish animated film (Flee). Not a single anime in sight.
Untitled

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic