Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 4,078

Mioaionios

@Maxenmus
The Oscars still is, and forever will be, a popularity contest. Every award show is a popularity contest.
If a certain movie, doesn't matter how good it might be, doesn't get seen enough, it has no chance of winning. And let's be honest here, most foreign movies don't get seen on a wide scale by the Academy members, this is true for live action movies as well.

Edited on by Mioaionios

Mioaionios

Maxenmus

@Mioaionios So much for "diversity" and "wokeness" I guess.

And people wonder why sometimes there aren't English dubs for anime. If your entire country shows no appreciation for their media, why should they bother to pander to you? There's no profit to be made, no popularity, as you said. Might as well keep the rights to the films within their country.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

HotGoomba

@Maxenmus Let me just say, I'm not big on anime, but the fact that crappy DreamWorks and Disney • Pixar movies are getting Oscars over passion projects and actually good movies is disgusting. There's a reason why nobody takes the Oscars seriously anymore.

Why did Toy Story 4 win Best Animated Feature in 2019 over How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Klaus? Why did Big Hero 6 get the 2014 Best Animated Feature award and not Song of the Sea or How to Train Your Dragon 2? AND WHO THE #### THOUGHT THAT Brave was better than Wreck It Ralph, Frankenweenie, ParaNorman, AND The Pirates?

I feel like everyone at the Oscars council thingamajig is so braindead, that I'm still genuinely surprised (and happy) that Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse won an award over Ralph Breaks the Internet and Incredibles 2.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Maxenmus

Well-deserved American animated films aside, I guess I shouldn't all that surprised that an American academy would favor American and western films films over Japanese or even Asian animated films. Way to keep nationalism and tribalism alive in 2022, folks.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Sunsy

@TheJGG Yeah, I was actually surprised they had a different voice for Buzz too. I guess watching Toy Story, you just get use to Tim Allen voicing Buzz instead of Chris Evans.

Speaking of Pixar and voice acting, I'm surprised John Ratzenberger hasn't voiced in a Pixar movie for some time, given he appears in each one, even if it's a very very minor role.

@Maxenmus To be fair, that channel is very specific to anime content, which as far as I know, is pretty niche here in the US. That's not to say, there's anime movies I loved such as Okko's Inn and A Silent Voice. The other day I watched Girls und Panzer das Finale 2. I enjoy anime, these were movies I liked. If it weren't for Mirai being nominated, I wouldn't have known about it, which is weird since I haven't followed the Oscars for years.

I haven't followed the Oscars for one simple reason, they barely nominate any of the movies I like, and give awards to movies I like. That simple really, 2022 had Luca nominated, but that was very rare chance something I liked got nominated. I don't watch or follow them. Because of that, I was surprised to find out Trolls was nominated for best original song in 2017, I never watch the Oscars so I didn't even know. It's not even mentioned anywhere on the DVD or the Blu-Ray case either. I have Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius, right on front it said "Academy Award nominated." I found out via a featurette for the movie.

Also, I don't think they don't take animation seriously and pretty much see it as the "Disney" category, looking at @HotGoomba's response, it's pretty much is. There's lots of animated movies not by Disney I thought were great, this is coming from a Disney fan too. Sad really since animation from all over can be great. As silly as it sounds, I like the Maya the Bee movies. While it's not an award winning movie series, I loved how it's animated. The meadow world the movie takes place in is beautiful IMO, and it's not even a US-made animated movie, it's from Australia and Germany IIRC.

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

Rambler

@Maxenmus
You are aware that films have to be submitted to the academy - they dont just survey every film released that year then draw up a shortlist. It's a good possibility that may non-american films were not submitted for the animation category.

Why this is the case - well, the Oscars are a total boys' club of Hollywood insiders, friends, and hangers-on, so mainly vote for their own.

For example, how many non-english language best pictures have there been?

Rambler

Maxenmus

Sunsy wrote:

To be fair, that channel is very specific to anime content, which as far as I know, is pretty niche here in the US.

Like I said, it makes sense that the Oscars, an American company, would be more biased towards American and western films than Japanese or Asian films, but that fact doesn't make me, an anime fan and non-American/westerner feel any better. I guess I shouldn't really care whether if Americans acknowledge the quality of anime films or not seeing as I don't even live there, but still, I feel like America is a significant enough of an influence in the world and the global economy that when it doesn't approve something I like (like visual novels for another example), it makes me rather defensive and insecure about it. America is like the big boys in the neighborhood after all in terms of global influence, possibly even more than China on some level. I know America's always trying to tap into China's market, but I still feel like America is still quite a significant economic superpower in 2022 in its own right. Whenever America does something, the world often pays attention to it for good reasons. The country's decisions and pop culture often influence the market of Asian countries too, especially those that try to westernize their society like Japan or even Singapore. Our Singapore news coverage, for example (a South-East Asian country), contains American affairs half of the times. So when American films finally have more Japanese or Chinese actors as the main stars, it makes sense why the rest of the world finally exhaled their bated breath and went, "Finally."

I guess anime is probably more acknowledged and respected in certain non-American countries though, especially Asian countries, but I feel like their influence isn't far-reaching enough to affect the kind of games they would release on Steam (American) for one thing. For another, I just can't help but enjoy American films somewhat more than most foreign films, probably because I grew up on them. So when certain American films or TV shows do decide to incorporate "anime style" (like Into the Spider-Verse and Avatar: The Last Airbender), it does make them that much more enjoyable for me as an anime fan to see my two favorite visual styles come together.

I think it's also why a niched anime YouTube channel like that would be vocal about anime films being left out of the Oscars. People tend to be vocal about their favorite things not being included at the popular table.

Rambler wrote:

You are aware that films have to be submitted to the academy - they dont just survey every film released that year then draw up a shortlist. It's a good possibility that may non-american films were not submitted for the animation category.

Why this is the case - well, the Oscars are a total boys' club of Hollywood insiders, friends, and hangers-on, so mainly vote for their own.

For example, how many non-english language best pictures have there been?

Probably not many, but I've seen a lot of French or Spanish animations nominated, rarely Chinese or Japanese ones. The western biasness is strong.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

jump

Pftt, fake woke Hollywood! If they are really woke then why won't they let the anime about the underage panty and cleavage showing waifu who fights tentacle love demons win best Oscar!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Maxenmus

@jump Way to generalize anime like you did any research at all about your statement instead of coming off like a troll, but okay, you totally convinced me.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

HotGoomba

jump wrote:

Pftt, fake woke Hollywood! If they are really woke then why won't they let the anime about the underage panty and cleavage showing waifu who fights tentacle love demons win best Oscar!

I can name at least two animes not like that

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Maxenmus

@HotGoomba I think a lot of people could. lol It's not that hard in 2022 if one simply pays attention.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Mioaionios

By the way, can we please stay away from the term "woke"?

Mioaionios

Maxenmus

@Mioaionios Fair enough. It's just a term Hollywood (and the vast majority of the world) throws around in interchangeable usage with "diversity," but I didn't mean anything offensive by it. My apologies.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

jump

@HotGoomba You mean like Spirited Away which did win best Oscar? Although I can dozens upon dozens of anime that are exactly like that, I lost interest in the anime thread on here after three pages on people going on about High School DxD.

In any case I was poking fun at the earlier complaints about Hollywood not be woke enough for anime, it's lazy zeitgeist complaining which automatically makes me stop taking things seriously besides Hollywood loves perverts like Harvey Weinstein, underage cleavage waifu should be winning all of the Oscars!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Mioaionios

@Maxenmus
It's not Hollywood that uses the term, it's conservatives who use it as some sort of insult.
I know you didn't mean to use it in that way, no worries there, but when non-conservatives are starting to use it as well, we're only playing to their hands.

Alright, that's enough politics from me.

Mioaionios

Kermit1

Mioaionios wrote:

By the way, can we please stay away from the term "woke"?

Okay, does "new" coke work instead? I'm joking but yeah that word is overused everywhere and we need to broaden our dictionaries.

I watched Awakenings and I thought the whole medical side of things was very interesting to see play out. Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro were pretty good in it, and I thought the whole supporting cast did a good job.

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Maxenmus

@jump Actually, the statement I made that you're trying to distort indirectly with your passive-aggressive argumentative post was that "Hollywood is not diversive enough to include Japanese and Asian animated films." As an Asian myself, I have no idea why I have such desires to see such inclusion, but hey, you're the expert here.

@Mioaionios Honestly, I could barely care about politics. I get that there's some kind of irritation towards conservatives or whatever, but it's all the same to me when it comes to Hollywood agendas trying to force messages that don't make a good story.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Kermit1

This is not film talk this is politics. Yes it includes movies within the discussion but really it's all about egos and what team you vote for.

I am not a political person and if you get some kind of enjoyment out of "politics", how do you wake up every morning.

Ew, that's all the politics talk you will get from me.

@Eel I think this might get out of hand soon.

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Maxenmus

Kermit1 wrote:

I am not a political person and if you get some kind of enjoyment out of "politics", how do you wake up every morning.

I don't exactly consider myself a political person either since I don't even know what those keywords and phrases people kept using really mean (conservatives, republicans, etc.), but I think politics do have enough of a functionality in the world that people can "wake up every morning" just fine enjoying it. Just my two cents.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic