Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 6,555

Losermagnet

@Apportal do you think Prometheus would've been better if all the 'Alien' stuff had been removed? I feel like it's implemented clumsily. Like Scott wanted to do a film about mankind meeting their makers, decided it could work as an Alien movie, and connected the Engineers to the first movie. Also - Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies. I'm conflicted about the subsequent movies, and I'm not sure if there'd be enough material for a series.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

porto

@Losermagnet The Alien bit was fine. It was the cliche plot and lack of interesting characters that really turned me off. Just felt like I was watching another generic action movie with tons of gore in the hope to satisfy the fans of the first films. In some parts, it just seemed like this was one big nostalgia ride. Nothing more.

The only Jurassic Park films I like are the first, second, and fourth. The third was complete trash, and the fifth was really boring. Like, really boring. The first book had tons of material in it that didn't make any of the films. I think they could make an 8-hour series special if they tried hard enough.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Rexenoboy

@WoomyNNYes
Sorry for the very, very late reply but I somehow missed the notification.
I saw Tenet at an IMAX screen in Antwerp, Belgium. Best screen I've ever been to.

Treasure Acquired

WoomyNNYes

@Rexenoboy Hahaha, I think it's funny you found my question 30 days later.🤪(not sarcasm). Oh, a theater, you say. Got ya. I thought maybe you paid to stream it. US theaters are closed in my area (I think they're still closed).

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Rexenoboy

@WoomyNNYes
I only went because I really wanted to see Tenet. Haven't been to the theaters since and I'm someone who went to the movies on a bi-weekly basis pre-covid. I'm a big Nolan fan, so I figured that movie was worth the risk. It was the first screening on opening day and only about 20 people showed up. Everyone was sitting far apart so it felt very safe.

The next movie on my schedule I want to go see is the new Bond movie 'No Time to Die'. Hopefully it doesn't get moved to next year like most other movies. The one after that is Dune, scheduled for mid December. As you can see I'm being very conservative with the amount of movies I'm going to the theaters for this year.

Treasure Acquired

RR529

Over the weekend I watched Ghostbusters (Blu-Ray)!

The Premise:

• Classic 1980's supernatural action comedy that follows a group of paranormal scientists, whom after being fired from their university gig, decide to open up a spiritual investigations & capture business after discovering that ghosts are indeed real & can be contained with the right energy wavelength. Business is soon booming, but with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) seeking to shut them down, and an Apocalyptic threat looming in the shadows, our upstart entrepreneurs have their work cut out for them.

The Takeaway:

• It's stuffed with 80's mainstays like Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, & Rick Moranis, and is just a really good time. Nostalgia probably plays a part as it's been a Halloween favorite as far back as I can remember, but I found myself chuckling along to it all the way through. Some of the sets & special effects are starting to show their seams in high definition, but I found myself still really enjoying it.

The Package:

• It's a double pack that comes with Ghostbusters II (which I'll get to in due time), and while it does have special features I didn't have the time to check what all they entail.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Rexenoboy

@RR529
I love the original Ghostbusters! The sequel is OK but was a big step down from the first one. Still haven't seen the 2016 remake and I'm not sure I ever will. I am looking forward to Ghostbusters: Afterlife though. Currently dated for March 2021, it's a direct sequel to the first two Ghostbusters movies.

Treasure Acquired

Vinny

Not a movie, but I was watching Michael Stevens (Vsauce's series) Mind Field.
It was a YT premium series they said they'd make it free until the end of 2019, but in 2020 it's still free.

Anyway, it's pretty good overall. Basically they get subjects and do scientific style experiments to see the results (sometimes the subject is Michael himself). I felt some of the experiments were kinda meh, some were better.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Rexenoboy

No Time to Die has moved to April 2021.
I'm afraid this will be the final nail in the coffin for a ton of theaters.

Treasure Acquired

Rexenoboy

I'm afraid my prediction of Yesterday is about to come true.
Cineworld, the second largest theater group in the world is closing doors. They lost $1.58 billion during the first half of 2020 because of the pandemic.
The question now becomes if they'll ever reopen again and how many more theaters will follow.

Treasure Acquired

Rexenoboy

@jump
I love James Gunn's movies but Super was an exception. Way too meanspirited for my tastes, I'm afraid.
Toy Story 4, while good, never reached the heights of Toy Story 2 and 3 for me. It had some terrific moments though, like when they first entered the antique store and it feels like a horror movie. Loved that part!

Treasure Acquired

porto

I actually went and got a subscription to Disney+ because of sheer boredom. I ran through a lot of the great Pixar hits, including Toy Story 2, Incredibles, and Monster's Inc, my personal favorite children's films. I also watched the Camp Cretaceous special on Netflix. It's meant for children, but there were actually quite a few deaths, including one of the kids. It was shocking, to say the least.

porto

jump

@Rexenoboy mean spirited is an odd complaint as Super is very James Gunn-ish with its tone and jokes. He has literally had the leading lady of hIs Disney film be called a for the lols, actually thinking about it the guy behind Tromeo and Juliet working for Disney is bizarre.

I thought Toy Story 3 was a complete waste imo, it addresses what was already addressed in the previous film about accepting their short lives of being a toy but with lesser jokes and set pieces. The furnace scene was good though.

Edited on by Eel

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rexenoboy

@jump
Well, meanspirited is how I perceived the film. I've only seen it once though, so maybe I should revisit it.

Treasure Acquired

porto

I almost forgot about Hidden Figures a true story about 3 NASA workers who launched the first man in space. It was a heartwarming story about segregation and racism back then and how much society had progressed. 10/10.

It was also really funny, especially Kevin Costner's character. Literally every character he is I say "I wish he was my uncle."

porto

Blooper987

Got Isle of Dogs from my library! Really liked fantastic mr fox so I’m pretty excited!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

TheFrenchiestFry

Isle of Dogs is freaking hilarious. One of Wes Anderson's best imo

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Vinny

What is the best Napoleon movie in your guys opinion?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

jump

@Vinny Napoleon Dynamite ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic