Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 461 to 480 of 3,149

RR529

Front Mission Evolved (360)

Beat it back on Saturday, and I have a huge write up of my thoughts in the Xbox One/360 thread.

It's a decently fun mech game (you get to upgrade it as you play through the story). It's not the greatest game ever, but worth a look if you're into the genré/theme.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

Front Mission Evolved (360)

Beat it back on Saturday, and I have a huge write up of my thoughts in the Xbox One/360 thread.

It's a decently fun mech game (you get to upgrade it as you play through the story). It's not the greatest game ever, but worth a look if you're into the genré/theme.

Hey, if you get a chance, pick up one of the Armored Core games if you haven't played any of them. They're much more complex, with a lot more customization options and longer campaigns. The controls are also a lot more complex, though, but at least it allows for more options once you get used to it. The missions can get a repetitive, too, but you're supposed to be trying out different machines and setups, anyways. And don't expect the story to get any higher a calibur than what you saw in Front Mission Evolved. I wanna say the story used to be good early in the franchise, but now it just tries too hard to be Ace Combat w/ mechs, and just winds up losing itself in its own lore.

I'm pretty sure Armored Core: For Answer is on the 360, and it should be in the bargain bin by now. I liked that one, though I prefer Armored Core V and Verdict Day due to the higher focus on urban combat. I'm not sure if Armored Core V is cheap yet, and I thought Verdict Day was PS3-only...oh, it is on the 360. Okay.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Vinny

WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2007): From one of my favorite Nintendo series, it uses the Wiimote in every way possible, even including some nunchuk microgames.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

@CanisWolfred, I was actually considering Armored Core 4, but opted for FME because the reviews tended to say it was a bit more beginner friendly. When I'm in the mood for it again, I'll probably pick up Armored Core 4 next time.

Oh, what's for Answer in relation to 4? Is it unrelated, a sequel, or an upgraded version?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

@CanisWolfred, I was actually considering Armored Core 4, but opted for FME because the reviews tended to say it was a bit more beginner friendly. When I'm in the mood for it again, I'll probably pick up Armored Core 4 next time.

Oh, what's for Answer in relation to 4? Is it unrelated, a sequel, or an upgraded version?

I didn't think they were directly related. I hope not, at least. I didn't care for Armored Core 4. It had a lot of performance issues and frontloaded a lot of bad missions, IIRC.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RevolverLink

Finished vanilla Dark Souls II. It's a fine game, and in some ways better I think it's mechanically than Dark Souls, but on the whole I agree with the general consensus that the DS1 is far superior.

I've worked my way through most of Crown of the Sunken King, but I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel because holy crap, are the boss fights the worst. I feel like they both embody the worst tendencies of the boss fights from the main game.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Now you just need to get the Genocide ending.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Blue_Blur

I beat Octodad: Dadliest Catch. It was a really fun game!

Also got to the end of Rhythm Heaven Megamix. I wasn't a fan of the story, but the rhythm games were great!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred That's a shame. It's one of the best routes in the game. It's fully brings the game together as a fantastic metatextual satire of classic JRPGs. It's also the only route that has a satisfying (and extremely clever) final boss fight.

I suppose not playing it has its merits, though. The game does pretty much personally implicate you, the player, in the atrocities you commit in the game, and successfully seeing a genocide route through to the end permanently "taints" future playthroughs on that computer.

Talking about this makes me want to play it again. Such an awesome little game.

Edited on by Ralizah

faint

Cyborg Hunter on the master system. It has some strange control choices. I had to get my second controler out of storage so I could change weapons in one player mode with the 2nd controler if you can believe that.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Nah. It changes the game in legitimately cool ways that are worth experiencing. I understand if you're not comfortable with it, though.

Not too many games have ever inspired a sense of guilt in me. The only recent one I can recall is VLR. Betraying Luna always felt like the emotional equivalent of kicking a puppy, but you have to do it to progress the game.

edhe

The last two games I beat were The Last Story [Wii] and Soleil (Crusader of Centy) [Megadrive].

The Last Story, being one of the big three Wii games everyone in the West (and particularly North America, where it seemed increasingly unlikely) was clamouring for, lived up to my expectations, although I did have to start a new save file after coming back to it.
The battle system - the game's main feature was initially tricky, but by the time I got to the last bosses, I was utilising most of the battle systems, although it has been said elsewhere that the bosses all have a very specific way to beat them, not allowing you to beat them in a wide variety of ways. I imagine I'd have been exclusively using the crouch-slash move otherwise. Moreso, during battle, your allies would usually repeat a phrase telling you how you should take out the boss, so nothing really stumped me, apart from the final boss, which was such a damage sponge, I could only resort to level grinding to boost my damage a bit.

I liked most of the characters - Lowell being a particular favourite (good voice actor, love the accent). Syrenne's character trait (laddette, obsessed with 'booze'), coupled with her accent kind of grated on me, but she had her moments in the story. I suppose Lowell could be accused of the same thing - a one-track character obsessed with one thing - 'girrels' (girls, in Scottish), but he softens up at the end too.

Throughout the game, there were lots of diversions and sidequests to beat, which is always a plus for me in these sorts of games - I managed to get through all missions (including the post game ones), by the time I had finished with the game, but the real fun starts in the New Game+, where you can restart the game with all your money (something I was able to max out quite easily anyway, through selling iron, etc.), all of your weapons and armour. Furthermore, the bosses are beefed up, and you are rewarded special materials which allow you to upgrade certain weapons and pieces of armour past their hard limit of Lvl. 9 to, supposedly, level 99. I've yet to beat it a second time, although I'll get round to it someday for posterity.

Soleil for the Megadrive - freshly beaten as of this morning, although I had to fight several faulty gamepads in the process (one had a non-working B button, one had a non-working C button, and one (the current one) would occasionally stop letting me go up - I actually threw it in the bin, and was going to leave it there, but I decided against it, and it worked the next time I plugged it in, although it would still occasionally fail) before I could.

First impressions - obvious Link to the Past wannabe - albeit made 2 years later, and nowhere near as pretty or well presented. I even called my character Link. One of the main differences is that you enlist the help of various animals (monsters) which give you abilities like faster movement (which, in turn allows you to jump larger gaps), flaming swords (when thrown) and a decoy to draw enemy attention away from you.

The story starts out very formulaic - you are a 14 year old boy who has come of age, and is heading off to the castle to receive a sword from the king. Your next task, is to earn three medals (the latter two requiring the ability to jump, and to run-jump, respectively) from a nearby fighting school in order to receive a "holy sword". However, in the process, you are cursed, losing the ability to talk to humans (but gaining the ability to speak to animals and certain sentient flowers), and you are now tasked with reversing the spell. Sometimes, figuring out what you had to do was a bit difficult because the NPCs could be a bit cryptic at times, and you had to speak to certain people to trigger certain events. I did have to consult a FAQ at times, I have to admit.

Eventually you regain your ability to speak to humans, but another problem has presented itself, and you go on to solve that, with the help of your animal friends.
Throughout the game, there was a clear coexistence narrative, with my character at one point seeing things from a monster's perspective, and that set it apart from any other game of its era that I've played. At times, I really felt sorry for the monsters, which in any other game would just be fodder for the sword.

To top it all off, there were some nice set pieces throughout the game with some funny dialogue in some instances - one example being where I was required to transport a fox, a bird and a flower across a metaphorical river without any of them eating each other. On beating it, the three remark how they are happy to finally be able to leave the room, having been trapped in there for the sole purpose of being a test of your wits.
It continued to surprise me to the end with these little touches, and in the end, while I can say for certain, that it isn't as pretty as the Legend of Zelda, it's its own game, it takes itself much less seriously, and it's well worth playing.

EDIT - Throughout a lot of the game, you were unable to understand human language - I found it quite funny how there would be moments where you'd go into houses, and people would be talking amongst themselves, but you'd have no idea what was going on - for example, at one point you enter a house, and a hero is talking with the occupants, raises his sword, and leaves. No idea what he was saying.
Similarly, on the first visit to this tower, you are able to take an express lift up, but on the second visit, some guards are blocking the way, and you have to take a detour. As far as I know, there is no way of finding out what they are supposed to be saying, but it's a nice touch.

Also, I just read the back of the box, and it claims there are "...over 80 hours of absorbing game play...". This is patently false.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Vinny

De Blob for the Wii. A platformer where everything around is you grey and you must paint it all.

You must get enough points to get the next area in the level by painting buildings and playing the challenges, until you get to the end of it. The levels are quite lengthy, they can be around 30, 40 minutes long.

The worst flaw of the game is that you have to waggle the Wiimote to jump. It gets quite annoying. It feels they wanted to have motion controls in the game just for the sake of having them.

Aside of that, it was a very fun experience.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

Whydoievenbother

InFAMOUS (PS3)
Great Sandbox game with lots of variety, some fun missions, and an interesting story.

@Vinny Have you tried De Blob 2 by any chance? It fixes the waggle to jump nonsense. Also, highly recommend it to any fan of the original.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

SuperPaperLuigi

Just finished Phantom Hourglass for a third time since its release. Before that, Over G Fighters and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. Not sure what to play next.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

Vinny

@MrMario02 I played it a bit recently. The only waggle control in the game is the you use to shake enemies off, what is a huge improvement. It also seems to be more platforming focused than the first game. I am liking it so far.

Edited on by Vinny

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic