Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 3,146

Venus_Adept

People in NintendoLife are very kind but for this time im going to believe you guys and feel proud of my english if someone conplains about it in the future i will say "You are wrong, my english is good, @nintendobynature and @Blitzenexx says that" 😁

Venus_Adept

NintendoByNature

@Venus_Adept quote Me on that! No one takes stuff extremely seriously around here so I think you'll be ok. It's a gaming fan site after all. If anyone says anything, just be honest and tell them the truth that English isn't your first language. They'll understand 😊

NintendoByNature

Heavyarms55

@Venus_Adept I find that the people most likely to insult someone because of their language skills are the people who have never even tried to learn a second language. You should be very proud of yourself.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Ralizah

Completed Zero Tolerance on the Sega Genesis (I'll be playing a lot of Genesis games these next few months, because 8bitdo's M30 controller, fashioned after a Saturn controller, is so brilliant that I don't want to stop using it!). That makes it the eighth game I've completed in 2019. Anyway, the game is a sort of a Wolfenstein clone from 1994 where you select from a few different playable characters to help stop an alien invasion of Earth. It plays about as well as other shooters from that generation: there's no real aiming involved, and you'll hit your mark so long as you're facing the right direction. Given that this was an early console FPS, your character is unwieldy and controls like a tank, with movement being heavily momentum-based and there being a complete lack of diagonal movement or strafing. This focus on momentum kind of breaks down when enemies attack you, because a bite from even the smallest alien will send your character flying backwards across the room you're in, and making it difficult to effectively retaliate.

The game takes places across 40 increasingly sprawling, maze-like levels, starting on an alien-infested spaceship and then transitioning to battles in a building on an alien-invaded Earth. With a variety of gameplay elements, such as fires that block paths and can be extinguished with fire extinguishers, optional night-vision scopes and life form scanners that you can use to hunt down enemies, it seems like there's a lot of space for creativity here, but the game neglects to take advantage of its design elements in novel ways. It would have been cool, for example, to allow the player to use the TNT in this game to demolish specific walls in a given level and create shortcuts, but instead they're relegated to damaging enemies, and they take so long to activate that they're pointless next to even the weakest in-game guns.

The game has a focus on hunting down and killing every enemy in the game: it will tell you how many enemies there are on a given level in the on-screen HUD and, upon completely eradicating all of them, you're given a password in the start screen, presumably from which you can pick the game back up later. It's an unnecessary if you're not going for 100% completion (the game doesn't seem to reward you at all for doing this) or don't care to use a password in a given zone, and, to be honest, in the late game's often labyrinthine map, I simply opted to bypass most of the enemies and gun for the exit.

Death is handled in an interesting way in this game. If your character dies, he stays dead permanently, and you're tasked with selecting another one of the playable characters to continue the quest. If all of the characters are killed, then it's game over.

It's not terrible for an incredibly old console FPS if you keep the technical limitations in mind. Draw distance is so poor that you often can't clearly see enemies until they're right on top of you (thankfully, they'll appear on your bio-scanner when they get close, and you'll often notice them there long before you can visibly distinguish them from the pixelated backgrounds). The framerate is low to begin with (seems well below 30 in-game, from what I can tell) and only gets worse as multiple enemies crowd the screen, often turning the game into a kind of slideshow. There's also no real creativity to the campaign, and enemy variety is largely aesthetic in nature. The chiptune soundtrack is infectious, though, and I felt compelled to keep coming back and shoot more aliens.

4/10

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

Just finished bayonetta 2 for the first time. First in general in regards to the series. I can't believe I slept on this series. It was such a great game i can't wait to start bayonetta 1

NintendoByNature

D3adPool

Most recently I finished God of War. It was pretty good, but not quite as great as some make it out to be. I played Red Dead Redemption 2 right before that, and in my opinion that’s a much better game.

Right now I’m just playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online. There’s a pretty good eShop sale and I’m probably going to get Starlink (on sale for $30 digitally), Mario Rabbids (on sale for $20 digitally), and South Park: The Stick of Truth (on sale for $15 digitally). Unfortunately I broke my memory card by keeping it in my phone case (long story) so I can’t store many games until I get a new one.

D3adPool

Ralizah

@D3adPool Mario + Rabbids is probably my favorite exclusive on the system. I was shocked by how good it was. $20 is highway robbery.

Venus_Adept

@Ralizah i'm looking forward to Mario+Rabbid i know i will love it and seeing your words entrust me even more to get it.

Venus_Adept

Ralizah

@Venus_Adept Great. Be sure to post your impressions when you start playing.

Venus_Adept

@Ralizah Thats for sure 😉. I'll create a thread called "Mario + Rabbids as whacky as cool"

Edited on by Venus_Adept

Venus_Adept

Tyranexx

Detective Pikachu - This was a nice, relaxing game there was a little on the easy side for the most part, but this Pokè freak enjoyed it nonetheless. The game was decently written and had some entertaining scenes with action sequences thrown in. The Pokemon in particular were animated pretty well. The ending left a little bit to be desired but wasn't bad. I'm disappointed that Harry Goodman is still missing, but I suppose this leaves the game open for a sequel. The sleuth-smart, coffee-loving Detective Pikachu definitely does a lot to carry the adventure.

Overall, I'd recommend this one for anyone who is 1. A fan of Pokemon, and 2. Enjoys detective/mystery games with a bit of action thrown in once in awhile. I had a pretty good idea about who was responsible for occurrences in the game a little over halfway through (and was correct), but there are plenty of smaller cases to work through as well.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

Finally came to the end of Tales of Vesperia and I have to say, all the positive things people said about it were well earned. It certainly took me some time to get used to the combat system, and while it's not my favorite style by any means, I did really enjoy it once I got the hang of it (and actually unlocked a few arts)

The most notable thing I want to say about the game is that this is the anime game I have basically always wanted. I am a huge anime fan and this game actually felt like playing through a really good anime.(however most actual anime games based on shows end up as lazy 2D fighters or just no where near this level of production quality). The story, while nothing particularly original, is very well done, and a reminder of why many of these ideas are so popular in the first place. But what really drives the game for me are the characters. Each one of the main cast is so thoroughly well developed. It's certainly refreshing having a lead character be an open anti-hero. Estelle's innocence and openness contrast so well with Yuri's grim outlook. Then you have the cowardly hero in Karol, the tsundere researcher Rita, aloof and sexy Judith, suspicious old man Raven's humor had me laughing all throughout the game. Patty's hilariously bad comparisons to random fish things, and even Flynn's self-righteous determination coupled with his own doubts. Everyone was so dynamic and well done that I can't help buy love them. And Repede being an actual party member despite being a dog was an awesome touch!

A couple drawbacks keep the game from being perfect though. It annoyed me that there was no formal system to keep track of quests. I feel like you can't stop playing this game for a long period of time, or you will be totally lost. I didn't play for a mere 3 or 4 days at one point and when I came back it took me about a half hour to figure out where I was. Worse for side quests, which I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking were totally absent from the game! (they aren't, there is just no traditional quest log of any sort) Also the joystick on the menu was way too sensitive and often jumped around. I ended up using the D-pad. A very minor thing, but it just shouldn't be a thing to start with.

Less of a drawback and something I actually enjoy - though I think has fallen out of popularity in recent years - this isn't your story. This is very much a Role Playing Game. It's not your story, it's Yuri and Estelle's story and that of their friends. I really like that. You don't make the decisions, they do, and you play their story out. But I know games where you create your own character and self-insert into the story are seemingly much more popular today.

I think this game absolutely deserves the 8/10 NL gave it. Though I would more give it an 8.5 or a 9. Largely based around awesome characters, solid story, fun battles, and good music.

One last minor thing - there was an audio balance problem in this version (I don't know if other consoles have it too) but whenever one of the beautiful premade anime cutscenes happened, it was way quieter, which is really annoying since the whole idea was to add dramatic effect. A big battle scene shouldn't be quieter than a conversation. Just turn the volume up, problem solved. But I shouldn't have to.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NintendoByNature

Just beat metroid fusion last night. Man was SA-X hard until you figured out a good place to stand when shooting her.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Diddy64

@nintendobynature Congratulations for clearing Fusion. Did you get surprised about the sudden change that had a certain someone (not the SA-X)?

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

As for my most recent beat game, it was Super Smash Bros Ultimate. The next time that I unlock the characters, all will be in World of Light. The CPUs are so perfect that it is unfair The ending of World of Light was in some ways both predictable and unpredictable, but I did enjoy those battles. They were epic battles and the fact that you could use that special character (it's a secret) was really cool. 😊

Also the sheer number of music in this game is impressive. Breath of the Wild, Super Mario, Metroid and Donkey Kong and other new music's/remixes are spectacular to hear. I still haven't purchased them all but on a game as this one, it's best to not unlock everything quickly, so that you have reasons to continue playing it more than having to wait for friends and/or family to come to play it (I don't have unlimited internet sadly ).

The stages all look better than ever. Seeing Great Bay, Four Side, Kongo Jungle and others with enhanced graphics make them look gorgeous. I wish they had included a bit more more stages. Preferably, new big stages like Hyrule Temple but perhaps in Smash 6 they can make a bit more. Hopefully we get a new director because Sakurai has been looking forward to make Kirby games and I think they should let him do that because it's his franchise after all.

The lack of modes is a bit underwhelming, but overall I think that the game is fantastic. With many highly requested Nintendo characters like Ridley, Isabelle, Dark Samus and King K. Rool in Smash, I am sure that many people are having a good time playing these and the rest of the characters. Not to mention that Joker from the last entry of the Persona series is coming to Smash Ultimate and who knows what other surprise characters Nintendo has for the rest of the year.

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games:

NintendoByNature

@SamusLv7 thanks! And which part are you referring to? I honestly space out during cut scenes or text lol. Are You talking about just before the last metroid battle?

NintendoByNature

Diddy64

@nintendobynature Actually, I refer to what happens after you beat Ridley. When you talk to the computer. It was unexpected what you saw right?

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games:

Diddy64

@nintendobynature That was also unexpected but even more unexpected was the decision of the computer. Because what the computer choose to do was something that would never happen if Samus was just a normal human right?

Undergoing games:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic