Forums

Topic: Game Awards 2021

Posts 21 to 40 of 103

Zuljaras

Aaaaand as much as I want Resident Evil Village to win the GOTY I am 99% sure it will NOT happen.

http://castletoria.com

Tyranexx

@TheJGG While I can't objectively say whether GoT or TLOU2 deserved GoTY more since I haven't played them (though I have viewed gameplay footage), my main issue was it seemed unfair that the latter seemed to sweep so many other categories where I didn't feel it quite earned some of that based on other nominees. Though I admit my own bias does come into play. Not to mention what I do know of TLoU2's plot seems...messy. And not always in a good way.

Many of this year's nominees are amazing in their own way IMO, so I hope the results are more balanced this time. I suppose we'll know in a week.

@kkslider5552000 To clarify: By "more", up there, I didn't mean the majority vote; I still agree with having a jury panel to help moderate. But 10%? Unless a game's vote is nearly unanimous, I don't see how this would have much impact. Why bother with a popular vote at all if the jury will significantly override most of those decisions anyway? I think the ratio should be less lopsided. Not 50/50 perhaps, but at least more than 90/10.

I put no stock at all into the IGN Best Videogame Ever tournament. Those matchups were laughable since the beginning. Of course it was gonna be a crapshoot. XD

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Switch)

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

kkslider5552000

Tyranexx wrote:

Why bother with a popular vote at all

Correct. They shouldn't.

I have enough negative things to say about the critic's takes on some things. Popular vote is not the answer. Even the idea of Ghost of Tsushima over Last of Us 2. Yes, that would've been better (especially for game direction) but "Things would've been much better if this heavily marketed Sony game won over this other heavily marketed Sony game" is not my idea of a solution to this problem.

But to be fair, I'm under the assumption that the Game Awards is even trying to be that level of legitimate, when it rarely actually does.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

VoidofLight

Like, the people's vote rarely matters with TGA most often than not. It's usually decided by the board that nominates the games moreso than it is on the people. Voting for the TGA is effectively just the illusion of choice. It's why I only usually watch for the game reveals, and not the actual awards, since the awards aren't even good.

If anything, it makes for a fun time to make fun of with friends, but if you're watching alone.. it's just kinda empty and sad.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

BeyondKnight

I do hope we get a surprise of ports of WW, TP and Xenoblade X, I know it's just speculation and possibly a dream, but one can hope

Edited on by BeyondKnight

BeyondKnight

IceClimbers

Predictions: Nintendo shows a trailer for the Mario movie but no games.

Microsoft reveals a new 1st party game and a new trailer for an existing game (Avowed? Hellblade II?)

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

VoidofLight

@IceClimbers I doubt the Mario Movie will get a trailer, given that the movie doesn't release until next November. Movies don't get trailers a year before release generally.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

Tyranexx

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Tyranexx wrote:

Why bother with a popular vote at all

Correct. They shouldn't.

I have enough negative things to say about the critic's takes on some things. Popular vote is not the answer. Even the idea of Ghost of Tsushima over Last of Us 2. Yes, that would've been better (especially for game direction) but "Things would've been much better if this heavily marketed Sony game won over this other heavily marketed Sony game" is not my idea of a solution to this problem.

But to be fair, I'm under the assumption that the Game Awards is even trying to be that level of legitimate, when it rarely actually does.

Seems as though, on the whole, we both disagree with some of last year's critics in some form. As for popular votes, in general I'm not against them but can certainly understand how a full popular vote could be abused as well, hence why I'm still okay with a jury. But as that's still made up of humans, even the jury wouldn't be free from bias.

...I'm probably lending this too much thought even if they're trying for some form of legitimacy. Long work day, so no solutions are forthcoming right now.

VoidofLight wrote:

but if you're watching alone.. it's just kinda empty and sad.

This hit last year's me right in the heart.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Switch)

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

NintendoByNature

@VoidofLight yea well see. Not expecting too much, but I'll tune in either way to see what Nintendo shows, if anything.

NintendoByNature

VoidofLight

@Tyranexx I remember having to watch it alone, and getting kind of bored halfway through, due to how empty it was, and how drawn out it was starting to feel. I still feel that drawn out feeling, but with a few others, I feel better watching it, given that we can easily make fun of stuff with one another.

Tyranexx

@VoidofLight To be fair, some of it had to do with me voluntarily quarantining before the holidays so that I could spend time with loved ones with little risk. That said, regardless it certainly did seem drawn out last year.

FroZtedFlakerZz

Up to you whether or not you think it's legit, but there has been Sonic Frontiers speculation and that eye emoji seems kinda suspicious to me
Still going to assume nothing Sonic related happens just because though

Also Samus Hunter (acclaimed leaker) said we may have a zelda concert, which would be pretty cool

@VoidofLight that stinks, Scott deserves that, I expect Dream will win too, how come the board won't allow it?

Edit: Sorry about the image being a link too, don't know another way to do it. (lol took it off cuz it wasn't working anyways)

Edited on by FroZtedFlakerZz

Games I'm playing right now:
Zelda BotW - Switch (always)
Hyrule Warriors AoC - Switch
Fortnite - Switch
Minecraft - Switch
Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4

VoidofLight

@FroZtedFlakerZz Samus Hunter isn't credible. They just pass speculation off as "Leaks", and then piggyback off of other actual big leakers in order to seem credible. Their acclaim to fame was Monster Hunter Rise, when that leaked, even though all the info was leaked by someone else beforehand, and it was publicly seen by all before Samus Hunter started to "leak".

Also, yeah it sucks that Scott isn't allowed to be there this year, but I feel like it was probably to rig it in Dream's favor. Pitting Dream up against a few people no-one knows, so more people would vote for him or something. Wouldn't be the first time Dream cheated to get something within his favor.

StarPoint

@VoidofLight By Scott do you mean Scott the Woz? Or someone else?

Currently playing:

Metroid Prime Trilogy
DKC Returns

VoidofLight

@StarPoint Yeah. Scott the Woz.

StarPoint

@VoidofLight Ah yeah, I agree. I figured Dream would be up there, and I know he's gonna win, but he does not even come close to deserving it. He has one of the worst fanbases out there and he's constantly in the middle of some insane drama. I have no idea how he got picked for "having a positive effect on the community." I just voted for some other random person who I've never heard of before. Scott would be a perfect pick, and that's probably why he's not on there. Just how it goes with these events, unfortunately.

Currently playing:

Metroid Prime Trilogy
DKC Returns

FroZtedFlakerZz

@VoidofLight ah ok, I had heard they were credible, good to know then
Also more tweets from Geoff, Sega, and someone who does Sonic art basically confirmed Sonic news

Games I'm playing right now:
Zelda BotW - Switch (always)
Hyrule Warriors AoC - Switch
Fortnite - Switch
Minecraft - Switch
Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4

NintendoByNature

Some things I DONT want to see. Dozens and dozens of dlc trailers. However, I fully expect this show to have a ton of that.

NintendoByNature

Solaine

I just want some entertaining trailers to watch, don't really mind what they show as i think there was never a big reveal for me there anyways

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Magician

I assume we won't get much in the way of announcements from the big three. Mostly third party announcements for PC, Series X, and PS5. With maybe two or three indie games that might make their way to Switch. My anticipation and enthusiasm for the show are super-low at the moment.

Switch Physical Collection - 869 games (as of January 22nd, 2022)
Currently playing: Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic