Forums

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,574

shingi_70

Bomb Shell and Spider woman who's going to be going by Black Widow now.

I'm probably only going to follow the Ultimate stuff and read everything else in trade. I'm a bit surprised that only three books were announced and not a fourth mini series.

Read the marvel point one and the best story in it was the silver surfer which feels like doctor who in the Marvel U.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SavoirFaire

I was certain this Cataclysm event was going to end the Ultimate universe and throw a few choice characters into the 616 universe. I guess I should actually follow these things more closely

I have found myself drifting away from comics/marvel lately (only pick up Avengers/New Avengers now, because of Hickman). I'd definitely give a new surfer book a try, good to know that is on the horizon.

SavoirFaire

Nintendo Network ID: rdean1209

shingi_70

You weren't alone I could have sworn Galatus was going to eat Ultimate Earth and a few people like Miles shadowcat were going to be thrown into 616.

I'm pretty Muxh Marvel free but I do usually check out whatever my friends are reading which has been the Hickman and Xmen stuff.

If your looking for something similar to the ultimate universe try Earth-2 which is an alternate DCU book that ate starts off in a big way. (The trinityb are killed )

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Tasuki

Some interesting news in the world of Marvel and DC entertainment this week

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/01/the-week-in-spandex-ave...

One of the oddest pieces of news is that the character Quicksilver is confirmed for both Avengers: Age of Ultron and Xmen: Days of Future Past but played by different actors. Which brings up the question who owns the movie rights to the character. Now in case you didn't know Quicksilver is the son of Xmen villain Magneto (who's twin is the Scarlet Witch) which you would think that being Magneto's son would mean that the characters movie right's is Fox's since they own the movie rights for Xmen. Now comes the complicated part after Quicksilver and his sister were introduced in the Xmen comics they were recruited by Ironman and become part of the second Avengers. So now you would think that as part of the Avengers their movie rights are owned by Disney.

So now the biggest question is if they are doing that with Quicksilver is it possible that we might see Wolverine or maybe even Spiderman in future Avengers films or even one shots? If thats the case why did Fox pull Wolverine out of a cameo in Captain America? It also could just be a loop hole since Quicksilver was in both so both studios have the rights but what is even more confusing is why use different actors? Also the other strange part is Scarlet Witch is (so far) not in Xmen: Days of Future Past.

What do you guys make of this bit of news and whole owns what rights to what character?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

the_shpydar

This is somewhat old news. The conventional wisdom is that they may be referred to just as Pietro and Wanda Maximoff in the X-films, while actually going by their code names in the Avengers-films. Also, their connection to Magneto will likely not be mentioned or referred to at all in the Avengers films.

Also, just a correction, but the two were actually recruited by Captain America (not Iron Man) to join the Avengers in Avengers #16, where they, along with Hawkeye, became the new Avengers line-up along with Cap (Thor, Iron Man, et al had chosen to leave the team).

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Platypus

No-one seems to be talking about this one. Do you guys think Big Hero 6 will be a good film? I thought it sounded terrible when I first heard Disney would be making a Marvel film, but the studio seems to be making great movies again. It's by far the least talked about Marvel movie so far. None of my friends had even heard of it.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

SavoirFaire

My guess is we are getting hank pym as the crazy old scientist and Scott Lang as the guy that tries to put his inventions to use. I can't see us getting wasp out of this, which is a shame. Perhaps we will get a Cassandra Lang out of it tho.

SavoirFaire

shingi_70

Well Wright's original pitch for the film would have been it too take place in the 60s as well as the present using too Ant-men. Its probably going to be Hank finding Pym Particles and building the suit. Marvel's called it a heist film so Lang is going to still the suit use it for thiefing tha they team up to save the day.

I'm thinking a Batman beyond Scenario. I think were going to get Cass Lang but she's going to be only a little kid.

Watching the new agents of shield and the show has gotten much better in the last two episodes. The current one is really good doing a ton of world building into shield and super science in the MCU.

WAT!

ELI-ASH

Im like a total noob to american comics. I want to read "The Avengers","Spider-man" and 'X-men'. but each has like 5 or 6 titles. What series is the current best for each of those titles?? I heard spider-man is getting a reboot soon.

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

the_shpydar

ELI-ASH wrote:

Im like a total noob to american comics. I want to read "The Avengers","Spider-man" and 'X-men'. but each has like 5 or 6 titles. What series is the current best for each of those titles?? I heard spider-man is getting a reboot soon.

For Spider-Man it's an easy answer — Superior Spider-Man is the current "main" book (the only other actual Spider-Man book right now is Superior Spider-Man Team-Up; any other Spider-books do not feature Spidey). However, if you just jump in now you'll likely be confused, as it's playing off the past year or two of continuity with Doc Ock having transferred his mind into Peter Parker's body. Peter is going to be returning soon, and the series will be rebooted as Amazing Spider-Man #1 once again (Superior itself having been a re-boot of the original Amazing title).

Now, with Avengers, it's a bit more complicated. the "main" Avengers books are currently (I believe) Avengers and Avengers World (both written by Jonathan Hickman). Most of the other Avengers books (Mighty, New, Secret, A.I., etc) have different line-ups and focus on different stories, while Avengers and World are built around the "core" Avengers (read: those featured in the movies) and are the main books for the continuity of the Marvel U. Personally, I prefer Avengers Assemble, which just feels more "Avengers-ish" to me (though, if you've never read any Avengers books in the past, this will not necessarily be the same for you).

With X-Men, it's even more complicated, since there's different "strands" of X-Men teams going now. The easiest way to describe it is the "Cyclops faction" vs the "Wolverine faction". Personally, the only two X-books I read are Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men (both written by Brian Bendis), which focus on the "Cyclops faction" teams, including the time-displaced Original 5 X-Men. I can't really speak to the other books, since I haven't and don't read them, but I think Wolverine and the X-Men might be a good place to start on the other side. Then you also have books like All-New X-Factor, and the X-Force books, which kind of sit to the side of the X-books (like Secret Avengers or Mighty Avengers do for the Avengers-books).

When it comes to Avengers and X-Men, the best way to decide which ones to read is to see what team line-ups each book has, as well as the writer's style. Like for me, the main reason I prefer Avengers Assemble over the others is that I'm not really a fan of Hickman and the stories he tells, even if he is an excellent writer, and I read the Bendis X-books because I like Bendis's style and have always preferred Cyclops over Wolverine.

Pretty much all the Marvel books are getting either reboots, either "hard" (the launching of a new series or the re-numbering of an ongoing) or "soft" (just starting new "jumping-on point" storylines within the existing series) right now, so you can jump into most of them without worrying all that much about past storylines (though familiarity with past storylines and continuity obviously helps).

I hope any of what I just wrote is helpful. With Marvel's nine million Avengers or X branded books, it can be a bit confusing to explain.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

shingi_70

What shot said for the most part.

For spiderman wait till April for Amazing Spiderman #1

Xmen read a wikibif AXX pick a side and follow either Wolverine or Cylops. Wolverine and the Xmen or Uncanny Xmen in particular.

For Avengers I would have said Avengers Assemble but its being canclles so try Avengers World.

WAT!

SavoirFaire

I will say if you like a really long view storyline (2-3 years) then hickman's avengers work should be rewarding. He writes avengers and new avengers and (maybe?) avengers world. I am enjoying his storyline and look forward to how it will play out, however it is a long haul pair of books, so it may be tough coming in a year into his run. I personally loved hickman's fantastic 4 run (what I read of it) so he is the main reason I am sticking with avengers now.

SavoirFaire

shingi_70

Hickman's Avengers titles are good but to get the most out of the them you'll probably have to read a three books. Dude does big concepts and while I think Infinity was a bit too high concept for its own good, the main titles keep a fine line between being really expansive and regular talesm

WAT!

CanisWolfred

You know, I have my qualms about Comic books, but I think my biggest one is how many sub-series, reboots, and "Jumping points" there are within a lot of the big series. I feel that it kind of does the opposite of what they're trying to do (make these franchises more accessible) and instead just makes things more confusing for new customers. Sure, maybe it's better than having to go through hundreds of issues just to get caught up with the story, and I know keeping stocked on early issues can be a major pain, but maybe the solution should instead be to focus on shorter self-contained stories? They have talent, they have the resources (specifically the internet, Amazon/Kindle, Comixology, etc.), you'd think that'd be the way to go...

Though I guess in the end, that's what the other guys are for. There are plenty of Graphic novels and non-big-name comics to read. I just gotta put more work in to find them...or at least find the good ones...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

@CanisWolfred

Trade Wait my friend and read the comics in big voulmes, or follow the side universe or books that are easier to follow like Smallville, Earth-2, Ultimate Marvel, or the Beyond Books.

WAT!

ELI-ASH

decided to jump in the comic band wagon i bought about 20 or so titles. the majority form Marvel, 2 from DC and 2 from Image. all are march releases. is that a common practice to order stuff 2 months in advance??

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

the_shpydar

The "cover date" on a comic is always 2-3 months ahead of when the comic actually releases.

No one knows why.

(Actually I think it has to do originally with the way the market/magazine stand business side of comics was run back in the day, and it's a practice that's continued to carry over to today.)

The Shpydarloggery

shingi_70

Yeah its called making a pull list at a comic shop so they can make the correct amount if orders.

So what all books did you order.

WAT!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic