Forums

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,574

Tasuki

HawkeyeWii wrote:

Thanos was completely different from the guy that gave Loki the army. That was a different alien, not Thanos.

But the guy that gave the army to Loki was indeed working for Thanos I think that is what he is getting at.

Going to start my Marvel Marathon tonight. First up is Iron Man.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Peach64

Not sure how to do spoiler boxes, so...

SPOILER WARNING! AVOID!

I've never read the comics, so didn't know much about the Mandarin, and I loved what they did. There were some guys sat behind me that were very angry about it though, so I can see it splitting opinion. In my original post after seeing, I said this was the closest they've come to getting a great bad guy in a Marvel movie, but I didn't want to say anymore and spoil it. What I mean was, it looked like the Mandarin was going to be a great villain, but obviously they went a different route. While I enjoyed that twist, I don't think the Killian guy was a very good villain at all, he was a bit bland and boring

END OF SPOILER!

Edited on by Peach64

Peach64

SubBronze

HawkeyeWii wrote:

It was probably the worst plot twist I have ever seen in a movie! The plot twist was (SPOILERS) that they totally butchered Ironman's main antagonist!
It would be like making a Batman movie and 3/4 through figure out that the joker wasn't real and was just some actor. I was beyond pissed when that happened!!!!!!!

Like @Peach64, I barely knew anything about the Mandarin, or even the Iron Man comics before seeing it. I saw it with some friends, and they said they really liked it, but agreed that some die-hard Marvel and Iron Man fans would absolutely hate what they did. I feel that people who now little-to-nothing about Marvel outside of the movies would love it, but I completely understand that long lasting fans would feel angry about it. They did this to appeal to the larger audience, and really they are going to gain more fans than loose them with this.

From a general movie standpoint, this was a good move. From a Marvel movie standpoint with an established universe, it was a bad move. I liked it.

Edited on by SubBronze

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

HawkeyeWii

@Peach64 and @Bulby
I can't believe they did that to him! WHY!!! They totally used the Mandarin in the trailers to draw people in and then you figure out in the movie that he was just a joke.
Just to let you 2 know, The Mandarin is to Ironman what the Joker is to Batman.
So just imagine back in 2008 seeing trailers for The Dark Knight and seeing the Joker wreck havoc and everything and then go and see the movie and the Joker is only in it for about 10 minutes and it was just played by an actor in the movie.
Like dang it! why did they do that! They should have just left the whole Trevor thing out of the movie and just kept Killain as the Mandarin.
Right now Ironman 3 stands as my least favorite Avenger movie and the bottom of the barrel for all the Marvel movies.

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

RR529

So, it's a change in character that won't matter to the general moviegoing public? That's fine then, because that's me

I can still understand why you diehard fans dislike it, though.

Could it be that they just don't want any magical elements in any of their movies (in some sort of bid to appeal to a wider audience)? Heck, even with Thor (at least from what I could tell), it seemed like they tried to twist it so that the "magical" elements were more sci-fi in nature.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HawkeyeWii

RR529 wrote:

So, it's a change in character that won't matter to the general moviegoing public? That's fine then, because that's me

Could it be that they just don't want any magical elements in any of their movies (in some sort of bid to appeal to a wider audience)? Heck, even with Thor (at least from what I could tell), it seemed like they tried to twist it so that the "magical" elements were more sci-fi in nature.

It is beyond that though! They could have at least had the Mandarin in the movie without powers. He could ave just been a ruthless dictator. Which would have been awesome, but no the trailers were false advertisement and the Mandarin isn't even in the movie!
What a joke. This movie had the potential of being as good as, if not better than the Avengers, but no they had to get a new director and ruin the entire movie!!! I have never been more excited for a movie to go to and be the most disappointed in a movie ever!

Twitter:

shingi_70

RR529 wrote:

Which is why I can't wait for Del Toro's Heaven Sent. The whole Magic is Science is the most stupid cop out i've ever heard. I don't mind when they work together like in the recent JLD story arc or Lost Odyssey. The stark difference between the two is one of my favorite parts of comics in general.

eh you could have easily had Madariens rings powered by an Infinty Gem and that would have set up Thanos.. Also its not that they deviated since its pretty entertaining. But this is Iron Man's arc nemeiss and the whole point of the Mandarin is too tell a story of Magic vs Technology and how it effects a futurist like Tony.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

HawkeyeWii

@Sony_70
Have you seen Iron Man 3 yet? If not, brace yourself, because Mandarin isn't even in the movie.

Twitter:

SubBronze

@HawkeyeWii I know your angry and its fully understandable, but can you stop spoiling the film for everyone?

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

shingi_70

HawkeyeWii wrote:

@Sony_70
Have you seen Iron Man 3 yet? If not, brace yourself, because Mandarin isn't even in the movie.

Not et but I here the twist is well done despite magic ring powered goodness.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

HawkeyeWii

Bulby wrote:

@HawkeyeWii I know your angry and its fully understandable, but can you stop spoiling the film for everyone?

Yep I'm sorry, but @Sony_70 said he already read the spoilers.
This time I'll put a [SPoiler Alert] Do not read unless you want to know about the movie. It is the worst plot twist ever, considering the plot twist involves butchering the main villain of Iron Man. Why the new director chose to do this and how Marvel allowed it, is completely beyond my comprehension. I actually woke up this morning hoping that seeing Ironman 3 last night was a nightmare, but it took a couple hours and a shower to realize that it was the real movie that I saw. What a shame of a movie. The last Robert Downey Jr. Ironman movie deserved far FAR better than this disgraceful movie.

You might Might enjoy this movie if you know absolutely nothing about comics. The thing is, Ironman comics are the least I know about, but even I knew that the Mandarin was the main villain for him. What a slap to the face to Ironman and Marvel fans alike.

Edited on by HawkeyeWii

Twitter:

HawkeyeWii

Ok I am done ranting and whining about Iron Man 3, I have now moved onto worrying about Robert Downey Jr. and if he will be back for Avengers 2, let alone Iron Man 4.
Apparently RDJ's contract was indeed up after Iron Man 3. There are huge doubts that he will be back for more movies putting him in the role of Tony Stark, but at the same time the directors and owners of Marvel have said "No doubt we are continuing Iron Man in movies, with or without RDJ."
Kevin Feige also went on to say that if "RDJ doesn't come back for more Stark, then we will just "James Bond it""
I don't know about you guys, but I can't imagine Iron Man movies or Avenger movies with Tony Stark in it but without RDJ.
I think if they make another Iron Man movie and it is without RDJ, I am going to try and avoid it at all costs.
They can replace Iron Man, but not Tony Stark.

Edited on by HawkeyeWii

Twitter:

RR529

Wow, Iron Man 3 grossed somewhere north of $170 mil in it's opening weekend in the U.S. alone! (only surpassed by The Avengers, which opened to $204 mil in the U.S.)

Combined with overseas numbers, it made $680.1 mil this weekend, and factoring in the money it made the week prior (since it opened up earlier overseas), it's already surpassed $1 billion (yeah, that's billion with a "b").

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HawkeyeWii

RR529 wrote:

Wow, Iron Man 3 grossed somewhere north of $170 mil in it's opening weekend in the U.S. alone! (only surpassed by The Avengers, which opened to $204 mil in the U.S.)

Combined with overseas numbers, it made $680.1 mil this weekend, and factoring in the money it made the week prior (since it opened up earlier overseas), it's already surpassed $1 billion (yeah, that's billion with a "b").

I know it's awesome! I just really hope this means Robert Downey Jr. will return to play Tony Stark! I am doubtful for Iron Man 4, but I think he might come back for Avengers 2.

Twitter:

Tasuki

HawkeyeWii wrote:

RR529 wrote:

I know it's awesome! I just really hope this means Robert Downey Jr. will return to play Tony Stark! I am doubtful for Iron Man 4, but I think he might come back for Avengers 2.

I dont know for some reason three seems to be magical number for movies in a single superhero series. I mean the only ones I can think of is the Christopher Reeve Superman series, the Burton/Shumacer Batman and the Xmen series. After the second movies those series just went downhill and the fourth movies? I wont even go there. Yeah 3 just seems right for superhero series of course thats my opinion.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

HawkeyeWii

Tasuki wrote:

I dont know for some reason three seems to be magical number for movies in a single superhero series. I mean the only ones I can think of is the Christopher Reeve Superman series, the Burton/Shumacer Batman and the Xmen series. After the second movies those series just went downhill and the fourth movies? I wont even go there. Yeah 3 just seems right for superhero series of course thats my opinion.

Actually it is quite the contrary. The third movie almost always struggles, see Spider-man 3, X-Men The Last Stand, Superman 3, and so on.
Ironman is going down as the most successful threequel of all-time! Which is a huge surprise!

Twitter:

shingi_70

HawkeyeWii wrote:

RR529 wrote:

His contract was for six movies iirc so far he's been in

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Avengers
Iron Man 3 l
He has to appear in Avengers 2 which is probably why the film ended the way it did.

WAT!

the_shpydar

I wonder if Incredible Hulk was actually part of the 6-picture deal. He's only a cameo in it for all of 30 seconds (if that), and I believe the scene was actually shot during filming of one of the Iron Man flicks.

My assumption was always that his deal was to encompass Iron Man 1-3 and Avengers 1-3.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

bezerker99

RR529 wrote:

This isn't shocking to me. Who wants to bet they make another excellent Marvel movie that surpasses this box office total? It's highly inevitable and thus shouldn't produce shock waves.

the_shpydar

bezerker99 wrote:

RR529 wrote:

This isn't shocking to me. Who wants to bet they make another excellent Marvel movie that surpasses this box office total? It's highly inevitable and thus shouldn't produce shock waves.

This.

Also, "highest grossing" means nothing to me, until you adjust it for inflation. Obviously more recent are going to gross higher box-office totals, when you have movie tickets going for $10-$15 a pop.

For example, The Avengers, when adjusted for inflation, ranks at #27 All-time (in the US) — which is still very impressive.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic