Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 9,620

InsertPi

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

I think we should start a group. A group dedicated to making quality games on petit computer. Group projects often turn out better than those made by single people. I'm proposing we start such a group and create an online chat system, or an online forum dedicated to said group seperate from nintendolife so that progress can be made. :3 and awesome games can be produced. Either that, or we all just have meetings online using chat software that works in real time.
Real time chatting is often more productive as well.

Here's a temporary chat I've created on tinychat. I don't have an account. http://tinychat.com/qbj56
You can talk about Petit computer in here, and get live responses while I'm in there. I will save the URL and return to it frequently.
Be polite in the chat. And please wait to have questions answered. If you have a question and I'm logged in I will try to respond ASAP.
Some of you may get answers to your questions faster this way. I'm willing to teach what I understand so far about Petit Computer as well.

Love this idea! I think everyone should have their own "specialty" in creating games, so we only create what we're good at. Example - @Hairmanban19 and I can do stuff with text, @randomous can do stuff with sprites, etc. This way, a game is well done in all areas. One problem - Safari says that the tinychat link is not a valid address. Maybe something else for live chat?

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

InsertPi

Ok, if the other link does not work for you, I have created another live chat. No signup required. Just enter your username and join. Petit Computer Chat.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

CargoSushiimira

bobliefeld wrote:

It's not that hard to learn programming with Petit Computer + it's very rewarding. You'll probably have a hard time finding someone who wants to program your ideas as those of us who are programming have plenty of ideas of our own.

Yeah but, if you have a team of programmers, and a scenarist or two, that makes a great game, if you have a cooperative team too.

she/her

3DS Friend Code: 2535-4799-7014 | Nintendo Network ID: ImCargo

Hairmanban19

I'll try to post my first person RPG around 3:00 PM today.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Hairmanban19

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

I think we should start a group. A group dedicated to making quality games on petit computer. Group projects often turn out better than those made by single people. I'm proposing we start such a group and create an online chat system, or an online forum dedicated to said group seperate from nintendolife so that progress can be made. :3 and awesome games can be produced. Either that, or we all just have meetings online using chat software that works in real time.
Real time chatting is often more productive as well.

Here's a temporary chat I've created on tinychat. I don't have an account. http://tinychat.com/qbj56
You can talk about Petit computer in here, and get live responses while I'm in there. I will save the URL and return to it frequently.
Be polite in the chat. And please wait to have questions answered. If you have a question and I'm logged in I will try to respond ASAP.
Some of you may get answers to your questions faster this way. I'm willing to teach what I understand so far about Petit Computer as well.

Love this idea! I think everyone should have their own "specialty" in creating games, so we only create what we're good at. Example - @Hairmanban19 and I can do stuff with text, @randomous can do stuff with sprites, etc. This way, a game is well done in all areas. One problem - Safari says that the tinychat link is not a valid address. Maybe something else for live chat?

Yeah,we could make the most awesome games if we did that!

Hairmanban19

TexMurphy wrote:

@Hairmanban19 @IAmAPerson620
Graphics... To start off, use GCLS to clear the screen of any graphics (pixels) that you may have added. To place a point (pixel) of color to your screen use GPSET 127, 95,7 . You should get a pixel in the center of your top screen. The first number is the x coordinate followed by the y coordinate. The last number is your color. To draw a line you don't need points to connect to. Use GLINE 0,0,255,192,7 . This will draw a line from (0,0) to (255,192). That is a diagonal line from the top left to the lower right. The fun part is using variables instead of hard coded coordinates.

Thanks,i might start making stuff with graphic commands now.

Slayer

Nobody was in the chat room so I just left. Is there some group making a game of some sort? The only game group I know is the Pokémon one. I just want to make and finish something, I have never released a game in my life.

I have nothing really to say about myself.

Pixelrobin

There will be a live chat on my website, but its taking awhile because im hand-coding it.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Pixelrobin

On the other hand, working as a group on PTC doesn't require a live chat. It has been accomplised on this simple forum quite well. Please explain how a live chat would improve this. Technically, we cannot program the same program, differently, at the same time while talking about changes to others. Its overkill imo.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Gimmemorecoinz

slayer wrote:

Nobody was in the chat room so I just left. Is there some group making a game of some sort? The only game group I know is the Pokémon one. I just want to make and finish something, I have never released a game in my life.

Didn't you see the username coder1? That's me.
I left myself logged in all night long.
I just woke up btw. :3

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

Bluerobin2 wrote:

On the other hand, working as a group on PTC doesn't require a live chat. It has been accomplised on this simple forum quite well. Please explain how a live chat would improve this. Technically, we cannot program the same program, differently, at the same time while talking about changes to others. Its overkill imo.

That's not entirely true. People can work on different pieces of code that are part of the same project, simultaneously.
Also. There's another thing. Solving some issues together as a group is faster.
So if one person is working on a part of the game and they mess up, they can join the chat and get INSTANT answers to the issue.
And an instant solution is formed.
Once that happens, the instant result allows progress to be way faster.
So for instance, instead of waiting all night and all afternoon long for a response on the forum, they can join the chat that second.
And probably get a response within the first few minutes they've logged on, not only a solution to that issue but help with whatever they're working on period.
Most people who work in groups and program use IRC or something like that along with SVN code sharing bases to work on the same solution together as a team and they make progress far faster than they would if they just connected using a forum and never chatted in real time.
There's also a certain appeal to being able to have a real time chat that forums don't offer. That appeal is, you can ask people personal questions or get to know them faster, and better. You can also learn more what their skills are by talking to them about issues they've had with petit computer and like I said.
Basically people just learn faster when they can chat in real time.

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

if everyone joins the tinychat chat room that I created and lurks there. You'll eventually see others log in. Just be patient if you leave then somone else joins and they see no one and they leave because of that then a third person joins that's three people that could have been in there that left because "no one" was in there.

And like I said I'm willing to teach people in real time on there. So be patient and join and stay in there for about 16 hours, just leave yourself logged in and if you see activity chat back. :3
Also I think my computer booted me out of inactivity and made the chat invalid. Here's the link again it should be up again: http://tinychat.com/qbj56

and by the way I made a third video showing my progress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-5hWrUeaA8

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

Gimmemorecoinz

wait a minute. are most of the people in this thread attending school, or high school and have busy lives ,where they can't just go online when they want to?
and are most of you either in school or trying to hold up a job? I know that's a personal question. I live in canada and I have alot of free time. I basically don't have to work right now and I Just wake up and do whatever. I'm thinking , also there might be some time zone differences since this is a UK hosted website I think? So when I'm awake are most of you asleep? It's 1:41 pm at the time of this post.

ramstrong

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

That's not entirely true. People can work on different pieces of code that are part of the same project, simultaneously.
(snip)
There's also a certain appeal to being able to have a real time chat that forums don't offer. That appeal is, you can ask people personal questions or get to know them faster, and better. You can also learn more what their skills are by talking to them about issues they've had with petit computer and like I said.

I think Bluerobin2 is right since he's speaking from experience. Furthermore, I have had experience trying to teach someone via chat, and it's not the solution either. When we're talking about programming, you need to explain program's evolution. Fine, if the person you're teaching has some rudimentary programming skill, but for a newbie, you need some kind of animation, or at least some extremely verbose explanation.

The conflict that happens when you work in a computer program simultaneously can be mitigated somewhat with proper program structure. If the program structure is modular, then people can work on different modules, and not conflict with one another. You have to keep in mind, though, that Petit Computer is BASIC. You use global variables, and unless the coders maintained full discipline in coding, there's bound to be conflict. You cannot have local variables, and therefore safe in using them in your work. How disciplined are you in maintaining conflict-free code in BASIC?

It's true that for some heavy-duty discussion, chat is better than forum, which is why I requested it for our tutorial website. But that's not a solution to all. I find chat transcripts is full of filler, while forum transcripts is usually full of information. So chat is good for exploring issues, while forum is good for spreading information.

And somebody suggested that we stick with specialization. I think that's stupid. We're not here as professional programmers putting out our best work. We are here to learn new skills, and help others along the way. To say that if you're no good at something, you can't do it, is at best, insulting. People grow and change, and what skills you don't have today, you will have someday if you keep at it. Besides, I'm good at everything. So is Morphtorok and Discostew. Bluerobin2 and Randomous are on the way up, and rather quickly at that. Let's not pigeonhole people, shall we?

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

There will be a live chat on my website, but its taking awhile because im hand-coding it.

Are you using Python? You don't really need to have sophisticated chat system. Something like a rolling "guestbook" is fine. Besides, it helps with getting a transcript.

Petit Computer Journal

Gimmemorecoinz

ramstrong wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

(snip)

I think Bluerobin2 is right since he's speaking from experience. Furthermore, I have had experience trying to teach someone via chat, and it's not the solution either. When we're talking about programming, you need to explain program's evolution. Fine, if the person you're teaching has some rudimentary programming skill, but for a newbie, you need some kind of animation, or at least some extremely verbose explanation.

The conflict that happens when you work in a computer program simultaneously can be mitigated somewhat with proper program structure. If the program structure is modular, then people can work on different modules, and not conflict with one another. You have to keep in mind, though, that Petit Computer is BASIC. You use global variables, and unless the coders maintained full discipline in coding, there's bound to be conflict. You cannot have local variables, and therefore safe in using them in your work. How disciplined are you in maintaining conflict-free code in BASIC?

It's true that for some heavy-duty discussion, chat is better than forum, which is why I requested it for our tutorial website. But that's not a solution to all. I find chat transcripts is full of filler, while forum transcripts is usually full of information. So chat is good for exploring issues, while forum is good for spreading information.

And somebody suggested that we stick with specialization. I think that's stupid. We're not here as professional programmers putting out our best work. We are here to learn new skills, and help others along the way. To say that if you're no good at something, you can't do it, is at best, insulting. People grow and change, and what skills you don't have today, you will have someday if you keep at it. Besides, I'm good at everything. So is Morphtorok and Discostew. Bluerobin2 and Randomous are on the way up, and rather quickly at that. Let's not pigeonhole people, shall we?

On the specialization topic. I assumed everyone would learn more as they went. I don't think I want to pidgeonhole people either.
A set of global variables through the whole project can be posted.
I did infact plan on having things modular.
A live chat would give users who struggle and have to wait 3 days for an answer to their simpler questions a way for them to get answers immediately, making it easier for them to overcome some issues.
for instance, a few issues I've had with petit computer, could have been answered in one sentence quite easily but I spent a week or two sometimes, trouble shooting and/or waiting for a response to a question I posted about some issue I had.
With a live chat, that wouldn't be the case.
And so, my project was delayed by however long it took someone to answer my question, or for me to somehow figure it out on my own.
To be fair though most of my questions are not very basic they are quite specific and technical. :3

swordx

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

wait a minute. are most of the people in this thread attending school, or high school and have busy lives ,where they can't just go online when they want to?
and are most of you either in school or trying to hold up a job? I know that's a personal question. I live in canada and I have alot of free time. I basically don't have to work right now and I Just wake up and do whatever. I'm thinking , also there might be some time zone differences since this is a UK hosted website I think? So when I'm awake are most of you asleep? It's 1:41 pm at the time of this post.

I live in the U.S....but I'm going into highschool (Freshmen year) this September.

swordx

Hairmanban19

UntitledUntitled Here are the QR codes for the demo of my first person RPG. There is about 5 different areas and one battle(thoughts,comments.etc) (ideas,suggestions.etc)

ramstrong

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

A live chat would give users who struggle and have to wait 3 days for an answer to their simpler questions a way for them to get answers immediately, making it easier for them to overcome some issues.
for instance, a few issues I've had with petit computer, could have been answered in one sentence quite easily but I spent a week or two sometimes, trouble shooting and/or waiting for a response to a question I posted about some issue I had.
With a live chat, that wouldn't be the case.
And so, my project was delayed by however long it took someone to answer my question, or for me to somehow figure it out on my own.
To be fair though most of my questions are not very basic they are quite specific and technical. :3

You answered my post quick enough. And I answered your post quickly, too.
Chat is great if you can get people together at the same time, and as your posts indicate, that's quite a challenge in itself.
No such trouble with forum/guestbook.

Petit Computer Journal

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic