Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 9,620

GeekDude

How do you set up a wiki page?

GeekDude

Ralph

GeekDude wrote:

How do you set up a wiki page?

Once you have signed in click on contribute and then 'add a page'.

Edited on by Ralph

Ralph

Pixelrobin

@zorkzedork No easy way exists I believe... But you can tey to use bgfill to "Black Out" The scrolled part, or load a new background.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Ralph

@Bluerobin2 I should have mentioned that I tried using BGFILL but it wasnt very smooth because it can't use fractional numbers?

How do I load a new background and stitch it all together?

Ralph

ramstrong

zorkzedork wrote:

@Bluerobin2 I should have mentioned that I tried using BGFILL but it wasnt very smooth because it can't use fractional numbers?

How do I load a new background and stitch it all together?

How about just make sure it doesn't scroll that far? That would be my first choice.
If you want a black out, then put in a condition that if your location is on the left, then blackout the right side. If your location is on the right, then blackout the left side. I don't see what fraction has to do with it? Maybe you can post code for a more detailed explanation on how things work, but AFAIK, it's a simple scrolling application.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Discostew

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@Discostew I summon thee

For what?

zorkzedork wrote:

How do I stop backgrounds from "wrapping around" when using BGOFS? I have made it so that the player can't walk to these areas but they are still visible.

Are you looking to have the background stop scrolling, or have them fill in with a particular tile (like Final Fantasy IV does when in towns/dungeons)?

For the former, you'd need to keep a record of where the background currently is, and have a record of the area's dimensions. Then, check each frame to see whether the area that is to be visible is going to scroll off the end. If so, then prevent the background layers from scrolling at all in that direction.

If it is the latter, then you're likely going to have to fill those areas yourself. In such a case, your program will likely require dynamic updating of the backgrounds, based on the character's location in it. There are a couple of ways you can go about this. One would be to actually make your map/level area bigger to fill in those spots, but keep a sort of record as to the area the character can move around in. Another is to simply fill in those areas with data when "out of range" of the map area.

It's unfortunate that the DS's (and GBA's) 2D hardware is not like the SNES's 2D hardware, the latter allowing a sort of "repeat" for regular backgrounds where if the background scrolls off far enough, when under "don't wrap" mode, it would fill in the outside regions with the first tile in the tileset. I had to review the documentation of them all to make sure this was correct, and this is not built-in to the DS/GBA hardware.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Pixelrobin

@Discostew wow you did what I asked without knowing! I fixed the "Slingshot" glitch. It was a simple little fix. I feel so stupid . I was also wondering, What are some realistic methods for AI? The typical "Move Toward" Just won't cut it for battle wood. I'm not asking for code, just ideas. Also, is it possible to fix the 1-frame glitch now that I fixed the bigger one?

Thanks.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Ralph

Here is the code that isn't working for me:
http://pastebin.com/bKRfp5TZ
My attempted solution is under the label "outofbounds"
I could post the QR codes of the program and the background if you need it.

EDIT: The bits about touch screen input were just me experimenting but I forgot to delete them, just ignore them

Edited on by Ralph

Ralph

Gimmemorecoinz

No one responded to my question yet about the issue I'm having with putting custom tiles into petit computer.
Is there a tutorial on using your own custom tiles floating around on the web somewhere? I'm talking about importing them and all that, specifically.
And getting them on the screen.
Just not sure what i'm doing wrong.
I did notice though that whenever I use load for a bg it fills the background on my top screen with the same repeating tile. I'm not sure why.
Did I use maybe the wrong format in ptc utilities? I used a CHR file for the BG.

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

swordx wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

it seems like i've missed out on alot the last few weeks.. I had a tooth removed. it hurts. I had it removed piece by piece and it's healing now.
I'm really happy to see how active this forum is still.
I have more free time on my hands again to program and I'm getting back slowly to working on legend of zelda lttp more seriously.
There's alot of things I have to add , I just did a play through of the original lttp, the first part of the game and first dungeon. I realized I may have to
change the way I'm doing this game. There might still be some pallete issues at first because ptc utilities is buggy with how it exports sprites.
I'm without a laptop right now to so I'm looking into a replacement but I'm short on money.
I would like to form a better project file or folder that I can keep on a usb or something with me that way working on it from anywhere is never an issue.
Oh. That's right. I noticed my youtube video about lttp for petit computer got alot more comments than I was expecting. So I commented back and posted the QR codes in the comments. For those of you who might have missed out or might want the link again here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93YhyV3XvTY

In the near future, like in a couple of days I might want some help with developing this remake of zelda. There's a couple things I'm going to have problems with mainly with making sure the sprites get formatted properly into petit computer and making sure that the right sprites are in memory for me when I need them. Maybe Discostew you can help me out there pretty soon? That's one of the things holding me back actually is I'm still getting that glitched pallete issue with link swinging his sword.

Can I have the QR codes to just your sprites? I plan on using unique sprites for my game, and I'd love to use yours to start with. My sword animations are more like the original Zelda, and I HATE that. I hope your project tuns out well! You don't have much yet, but I see potential!

The qr codes for the sprites are in that image file... it has all the QR codes. in it. It has to for the sprites to be loaded. :3

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

swordx

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

swordx wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

it seems like i've missed out on alot the last few weeks.. I had a tooth removed. it hurts. I had it removed piece by piece and it's healing now.
I'm really happy to see how active this forum is still.
I have more free time on my hands again to program and I'm getting back slowly to working on legend of zelda lttp more seriously.
There's alot of things I have to add , I just did a play through of the original lttp, the first part of the game and first dungeon. I realized I may have to
change the way I'm doing this game. There might still be some pallete issues at first because ptc utilities is buggy with how it exports sprites.
I'm without a laptop right now to so I'm looking into a replacement but I'm short on money.
I would like to form a better project file or folder that I can keep on a usb or something with me that way working on it from anywhere is never an issue.
Oh. That's right. I noticed my youtube video about lttp for petit computer got alot more comments than I was expecting. So I commented back and posted the QR codes in the comments. For those of you who might have missed out or might want the link again here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93YhyV3XvTY

In the near future, like in a couple of days I might want some help with developing this remake of zelda. There's a couple things I'm going to have problems with mainly with making sure the sprites get formatted properly into petit computer and making sure that the right sprites are in memory for me when I need them. Maybe Discostew you can help me out there pretty soon? That's one of the things holding me back actually is I'm still getting that glitched pallete issue with link swinging his sword.

Can I have the QR codes to just your sprites? I plan on using unique sprites for my game, and I'd love to use yours to start with. My sword animations are more like the original Zelda, and I HATE that. I hope your project tuns out well! You don't have much yet, but I see potential!

The qr codes for the sprites are in that image file... it has all the QR codes. in it. It has to for the sprites to be loaded. :3

Oh...ok thank you! I'll modify the Link sprites, and I'll use your sword animations. They're very nice!

swordx

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

No one responded to my question yet about the issue I'm having with putting custom tiles into petit computer.
Is there a tutorial on using your own custom tiles floating around on the web somewhere? I'm talking about importing them and all that, specifically.
I did notice though that whenever I use load for a bg it fills the background on my top screen with the same repeating tile. I'm not sure why.
Did I use maybe the wrong format in ptc utilities? I used a CHR file for the BG.

The most likely reason why your are getting a repeated tile across the entire background layers is because you are only loading the "tileset". There are two parts to backgrounds. One of the tileset, and the other is the "map" that holds information about which tiles are shown in which area on it. The layers start at the default value of 0, and that refers to the very first tile in the tileset. So, if you have an non-empty 8x8 tile in the top-left corner of your tileset, then that is what is likely being repeated. The tileset is just a reference for the background layers. You must assign the tiles from the tileset into the background layers to form your levels/maps/etc., whether that is via loading SCR files (which you can make with SCRED or PTC Utilities), or form them manually via BGPUT commands.

Discostew

Discostew

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@Discostew wow you did what I asked without knowing! I fixed the "Slingshot" glitch. It was a simple little fix. I feel so stupid . I was also wondering, What are some realistic methods for AI? The typical "Move Toward" Just won't cut it for battle wood. I'm not asking for code, just ideas. Also, is it possible to fix the 1-frame glitch now that I fixed the bigger one?

Thanks.

Eh, AI is a complex topic. If you're looking for realistic methods, then don't expect it to be simple by any means. For my project, most of the enemies have simple AI, which are based on their current "state". Like, for the yellow Metalls, they have a couple of states. One is "wait" mode, which is them waiting for Megaman to get close enough. Another is "surprise" mode, where they wake up and fire at him. The last is "charge" mode, where they run at him. They start in "wait" mode until he gets close, then the state changes to "surprise" mode. After that mode executes, the state changes to "charge "mode. After that last mode finishes, it resets itself back to "wait" mode, where it will go through all that again when the time comes.

The 1-frame glitch I'm referring to is where it seems like all the sprites are offset by one frame against the background, where when the background scrolls, it scrolls for one frame, then the next frame, both background and sprites scroll, then at the end of background scrolling, all sprites do one more frame of scrolling. This is based on timing of when the background scrolls and when the sprites get positioned. If you have the background scroll early on, and then do sprite scrolling after a major amount of processing is done, then it'll be likely that sprites are scrolling one frame behind. I believe that PTC updates all sprite information in one go each frame, and that setting the information only holds them until a certain time each frame when it does them all in that one go. The problem is that the smallest unit of time we can read is on a frame-basis, meaning we don't have a good approximation as to when this happens. To be brutally honest, I've given up on trying to fix this issue for months. It really isn't a problem for me as it's only limited to 1 frame and not more.

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

The most likely reason why your are getting a repeated tile across the entire background layers is because you are only loading the "tileset". There are two parts to backgrounds. One of the tileset, and the other is the "map" that holds information about which tiles are shown in which area on it. The layers start at the default value of 0, and that refers to the very first tile in the tileset. So, if you have an non-empty 8x8 tile in the top-left corner of your tileset, then that is what is likely being repeated. The tileset is just a reference for the background layers. You must assign the tiles from the tileset into the background layers to form your levels/maps/etc., whether that is via loading SCR files (which you can make with SCRED or PTC Utilities), or form them manually via BGPUT commands.

I'm not trying to use a map file. Though I guess using map files would make everything easier right?
I'm kind of lost here since I was trying to use BGPUT. It seems to work for me if I use the command with default game tiles but not when I try to replace
the tiles in BGUO with mine.
is BGU0 a tileset? o.0 I didn't load the pallete for my tiles. And yeah even when I change the information the bgput doesn't work i just get repeated filled tiles. Maybe I'll mess with it more and try to figure it out.

Gimmemorecoinz

Discostew wrote:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

Thanks.

Eh, AI is a complex topic. If you're looking for realistic methods, then don't expect it to be simple by any means. For my project, most of the enemies have simple AI, which are based on their current "state". Like, for the yellow Metalls, they have a couple of states. One is "wait" mode, which is them waiting for Megaman to get close enough. Another is "surprise" mode, where they wake up and fire at him. The last is "charge" mode, where they run at him. They start in "wait" mode until he gets close, then the state changes to "surprise" mode. After that mode executes, the state changes to "charge "mode. After that last mode finishes, it resets itself back to "wait" mode, where it will go through all that again when the time comes.

The 1-frame glitch I'm referring to is where it seems like all the sprites are offset by one frame against the background, where when the background scrolls, it scrolls for one frame, then the next frame, both background and sprites scroll, then at the end of background scrolling, all sprites do one more frame of scrolling. This is based on timing of when the background scrolls and when the sprites get positioned. If you have the background scroll early on, and then do sprite scrolling after a major amount of processing is done, then it'll be likely that sprites are scrolling one frame behind. I believe that PTC updates all sprite information in one go each frame, and that setting the information only holds them until a certain time each frame when it does them all in that one go. The problem is that the smallest unit of time we can read is on a frame-basis, meaning we don't have a good approximation as to when this happens. To be brutally honest, I've given up on trying to fix this issue for months. It really isn't a problem for me as it's only limited to 1 frame and not more.

I could help with AI but not right now. :3

Gimmemorecoinz

Are there any tutorials made on using custom tiles in petit computer at all? Or even maybe some forum posts that might be helpful? example code?

damolii

@Gimmemorecoinz If anyone had had information on custom tiles, they would've told you. Don't be impatient. As for your recent question, check everywhere. Petit wiki, blogs, and other people's codes on the qr sharing thread. You'll find it eventually

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

I'm not trying to use a map file. Though I guess using map files would make everything easier right?
I'm kind of lost here since I was trying to use BGPUT. It seems to work for me if I use the command with default game tiles but not when I try to replace
the tiles in BGUO with mine.
is BGU0 a tileset? o.0 I didn't load the pallete for my tiles. And yeah even when I change the information the bgput doesn't work i just get repeated filled tiles. Maybe I'll mess with it more and try to figure it out.

Yes, each of the slots of BGU (0-3) are considered tilesets, and BGPUT is what you use to place a tile from the tileset onto the layers. The tileset may look off if they used a custom palette, but using BGPUT should still write the tiles nonetheless. How exactly are you using BGPUT?

Discostew

randomous

This is just a random question, but if you were to make a still minimap for a game where each pixel of the map represented a sprite, would you sample the sprite to get the most significant color, or would you define an array that simply translates the sprite IDs into colors you chose? Or maybe something entirely different... I don't know. It's just a matter of opinion/situation I guess.

randomous

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic