Forums

Topic: Ace Attorney Series

Posts 381 to 400 of 484

CinnamonRobin

JayArr wrote:

All in all Investigations was pretty good in my opinion. It doesn't get much love from the people on this site though....

I liked it! I want to replay it but I can't as my sister is currently playing it (or rather was playing it several months ago, then stopped but won't let me delete her save file in case she wants to pick it up again...).

Has anyone heard anything about whether Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is being localised or not? The fact that the 3DS is almost out, plus the facts that it's a niche game, the first one was only localised in English for the whole of Europe and we haven't seen or heard anything about it outside Japan yet even though it's already out there is all making me quite nervous...

CinnamonRobin

kkslider5552000

Objection_Blaster wrote:

PREDICTION: You will mostly like it/dig it until the last case. Then you will not.

What? The last case was the only one that had a really good challenge or felt epic (outside of the ending of case 4).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Turnip

i love all of the ace attorney games! >:3

Cringing is really fun.

Gameday

much love for the ace attorney games much love.

Stay Gaming My Friends ~
(Youtube) https://goo.gl/RZezjr
Nintendo Switch: 2899-5745-8667
Xbox - Gameday J
PSN - Gameday_J
3DS: Gameday
Steam: Gameday_J

3DS Friend Code: 0705-5371-1465 | Nintendo Network ID: Gameday_J | Twitter:

Objection

I greatly look forward to Layton vs. PW and AAI2 (yes I'll still probably get that.) I'm really just a huge fan/supporter of anything Shu does at this point.

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

HolyMackerel

@Objection_Blaster I asked about this earlier in the thread and got no response, but after a little digging it looks like Shu Takumi had nothing to do with AAI and AAI2. Seems like he moved on to Ghost Trick and Layton Vs. Gyakuten. Just putting that out there.

HolyMackerel

Objection

Oh I'm aware of that, I was referring to the PW vs. Layton and/or AA5 if there is one. Perhaps Shu not being involved in AAI is part of the reason I (and others) believed the story/concept wound up faltering at least some.

theblackdragon

Objection_Blaster wrote:

Perhaps Shu not being involved in AAI is part of the reason I (and others) believed the story/concept wound up faltering at least some.

i had no idea he wasn't involved at all... that would certainly explain why i hated it. now i don't feel so bad for doing so :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bass_X0

I believe the story suffered due to the artificial lengthening just to increase gameplay time.

I'm pretty sure there are many scenes that could be shorter and not lose any impact from a storytelling perspective.

Edited on by Bass_X0

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Objection

Well, that too would have made it a lot better.

But I also feel that I was so excited for the newness (gameplay) and the fan service (cameos and junk) that I was overlooking that I wasn't really into the core gameplay. Enough to play it once but not enough to play through it multiple times like the core games. Hopefully this won't be the case with AAI2 but I'll sadly be waiting for reviews on that one.

Singularity

Well I personally adored Ace Attorney Investigations. Edgeworth is my favourite character in Ace Attorney, and so maybe I'm a little biased, but I thought it was a fantastic game with just enough change to the typical Ace Attorney formula to stand out. The story was great in my opinion, and I liked the way all the cases connected. You never really got that with any of the other games, aside from perhaps Trials and Tribulations (and only then because of Godot.)

The music was some of the best and the visuals were great too. I think Kay was definitely the weakest "sidekick" so far but at least we had Gumshoe too, and I liked the way it implied that Edgeworth, Kay and Gumshoe were the new Yatagarasu, in effect. The cameos were all pretty good, and Lang was a great character. I also really enjoyed the last case too; it was maybe a little long winded and sure, Alba was a little too much like Gant, but it was really quite gripping and I liked the way it all slotted together.

AAI wasn't quite as good as Trials and Tribulations or Ace Attorney, but it was certainly better than Apollo Justice (awful characters, poor decisions regarding Phoenix Wright and the lack of any real cameos from Edgeworth, Gumshoe, etc) and Justice For All (which was only really fantastic on the final turnabout. I hope the second AAI gets translated too because the plot sounds like it will be excellent due to focusing more on Edgeworth's past and personal life (which garners it instant brownie points with me), and I've listened to the music and honestly consider the Objection! theme to be the best since Ace Attorney's. A few people at Court-Records.net who can understand Japanese (lucky buggers) have also said it's much better than the original, and thankfully more difficult too

Singularity

theblackdragon

Singularity wrote:

AAI wasn't quite as good as Trials and Tribulations or Ace Attorney, but it was certainly better than Apollo Justice (awful characters, poor decisions regarding Phoenix Wright and the lack of any real cameos from Edgeworth, Gumshoe, etc)

them's fightin' words Apollo Justice is my favorite of the series so far and i love it to bits. Unlike AAI, it didn't have to resort to hitting you with cameo after cameo to get you through it, the characters were much more memorable (and likeable), and that last case blew me away for srs. :3
sequel plz, Capcom

BEST THREAD EVER

Singularity

I really disliked Apollo. He was completely, utterly shadowed by Phoenix. I get that he hasn't had as many games as Phoenix but even so, by the end of Ace Attorney I felt like I knew Phoenix Wright and loved his character to bits. Not with Apollo, he just felt like a conduit to carry on Phoenix's story. Phoenix developed greatly between the first and last case of Ace Attorney, and there was some good chemistry between him and Edgeworth. Apollo didn't develop at all and always ran to Uncle Phoenix whenever there was trouble, and when I finished the game I still felt like he was a bit of a greenhorn. He didn't even save the day at the end of the game, it was all Phoenix. Not to mention that Klavier wasn't a very good rival since you were pretty much pals. It was interesting having a prosecutor who wasn't a complete bastard for one case, but not for the others. Sure, Phoenix and Edgeworth became good friends again at the end of Ace Attorney but subsequent cases pitting you against him still felt tough because he didn't pull any punches.

Also, I disliked the way Capcom handled Phoenix's story. Trials and Tribulations ended fantastically and Apollo Justice destroyed that. Alright, two or three years being disbarred would have been fine and dandy but seven?! Too many. And I also thought it was a bit weird that we never saw anyone from the original trilogy; am I seriously supposed to believe that Edgeworth would let his best friend live like a vagrant, or that Maya wouldn't be visiting all the time, or that Gumshoe wouldn't be dropping in with provisional insta-noodles? And the whole thing with Iris was completely forgotten about; T&T ended with the implication that the two would get together after she was released from jail. It's possible that it all happened off-screen but that's just not good enough; even seeing Edgeworth slightly older leaving after having hung out with Phoenix and making a quick, few second appearance would have set my mind at ease. Too many cameos are bad, but there needs to at least be some continuity.

/rage

Don't get me wrong, I still loved Apollo Justice. Being the worst Ace Attorney game is not a bad thing at all, it's still better than most DS games out there, and it had some great music and a good plot. And I want a sequel definitely, one which will hopefully embellish Apollo's story a little more and get Phoenix out of the picture. But it's my least favourite Ace Attorney game, out of them all.

Singularity

Objection

I think the best thing about AJ and/or what I got the most ouyt ift was the new "body language/Gotcha!" system and the way it continued Phoenix's story. To be honest, Hobo-Phoenix is a super-bada** and I loved him. Apollo is basically Phoenix in another skin and is used to show a darker story after the trilogy. I personally would like an AJ2 and not for AJ at all, I'd like CAPCOM to use him like they did in AJ/GS4, as an instrument to show Phoenix, but continue that and show the matured Maya and company. Ahh, mature Maya <3 looking forward to it. But I do also plan to give AAI2 a chance it sounds like CAPCOM took fan feedback to heart with it.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Singularity

The "body language" system was pretty good, and added something interesting to the game. Still, I play these games for the stories and characters, not the gameplay. And Apollo Justice should be primarily about Apollo, or it should just be called Phoenix Wright. For Gyakuten Saiban 5, I think that there should be a lot more focus on Apollo and if Capcom can't let go of Phoenix, then his story should be told in cases where we play as Phoenix rather than Apollo, since I'm assuming he'd take the bar exam again. We'd still see him in Apollo's cases and vice versa, but it would mean that we'd get coverage on both characters, something Apollo sorely needs right now.

And a worthy prosecutor to go up against. Someone as complex as Godot, developed as Edgeworth and nasty as Von Karma would be excellent. I actually think that Klavier was part of the reason why I never really thought Apollo had become a great attorney by the end of the game as I had with Phoenix. Klavier didn't put up much of a fight and often seemed to help Apollo out, and so when I won it didn't feel like this huge triumph I felt when prevailing against early-Edgeworth, Franziska, Godot and Von Karma. Not Payne, though. Never Payne.

Edited on by Singularity

Singularity

theblackdragon

I do agree that Apollo himself isn't much of a lawyer (yet), but then I don't really feel that was the point of the game. Any new person coming into AA4 as the main character would have some gigantic shoes to fill, so they didn't really bother — they created an entirely new style of story (in comparison to the original trilogy) and used Apollo Justice to showcase the greatness that is Phoenix Wright himself. I love Hobo!Feenie, he is seriously amazing and deserved every bit of his mentor-ish role, which was fantastic IMO. After having spent the entire original trilogy playing the fool himself, he finally got to be the guy in the know, kinda pulling the strings himself, and to me that was a satisfying thing to have play out before me. that's why it's my favorite, haha :3

As for no Maya, Iris, Pearl, etc. — if it'd been two or three years of disbarment, i would've been more suspicious at the lack of any of his friends hanging around, but seven plus him doing the vagrant thing, yeah I can see some leaving him to his own devices and the others staying far away so as not to wreck everything he was trying to do (or hell, them being busy with their own careers during the events of AJ, lol). Edgeworth, the Feys, and everyone else all played their story out through the original trilogy, and it was an awesome story at that, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing. AJ was a much-needed break from the existing tales of craziness and woe, I thought. If/when we see another main-series sequel, I'd definitely like to see (or at least be told?) what happened to the bigger players (namely the aforementioned Feys and Edgey), and also to see perhaps a stronger (wiser?) Apollo taking the helm for reals, haha. idk how they'd manage to wrangle that all together without Shu Takumi, though. I want a sequel, but not if he's not there directing it and making it as awesome as everything else he's had a hand in.

I did feel it was odd that there were no other cameos than Phoenix and Ema, but in retrospect I do think it was the best choice in terms of Apollo Justice. AAI was pretty ridiculous in the cameo respect — Butz and Oldbag are best served in small doses, not continually used over and over. Give some other characters a chance to shine. I liked how they reused Adrian Andrews and Lotta Hart over the course of the original trilogy, they fit with the cases they were used in very easily. In AAI they had to talk pretty fast to make it believable — even the connection between Gumshoe and Kay felt like a stretch to me. IMO, it would've been better just to use some new characters that didn't get in the way of poor Edgey's natural greatness. Edgeworth isn't some newbie pulled in off the streets, he's a solid fixture of the original trilogy and he deserved better than what AAI handed him — for crap's sake, the final case is supposed to be the best of what the game has to offer, and that was just a horrid, drawn-out mess. Hopefully Capcom will fix everything in AAI2; the Gregory Edgeworth thing has me intrigued and i don't want any cameos of annoying people screwing that up.

i get where you're coming from, though. being the weakest game out of an otherwise excellent series (usually) isn't a bad thing, i guess. i was just messing around with the 'them's fightin' words'; i just found it funny that we were on the opposite sides of that particular fence. plus, i don't get to use that phrase enough :3

BEST THREAD EVER

Singularity

Well, Takumi is working with Level 5 on PW vs PL, and so hopefully he'll be inspired enough to go back and finish Gyakuten Saiban. I would like a third Gyakuten Kenji though, because I think Edgeworth deserves a trilogy to wrap everything up. Then one or two GS games to end the series perfectly; although I don't really want it to ever end it has to at some point, really. Then a Steel Samurai action game can be born.

I read an interview Takumi gave recently and he's obviously very still much in love with Ace Attorney, so I can't imagine him just abandoning it. He's made Ghost Trick and had a break, and he's doing something a little different with PW vs PL, hopefully when he's done with that he can return to the series.

Singularity

theblackdragon

i would play the hell out of a Steel Samurai beat-'em-up. no lie :3

also, i want more Ghost Trick tooooo~ he just needs to clone himself a few times and start cranking out all these games he needs to make already D: D: D:

BEST THREAD EVER

Singularity

I think Ghost Trick ended perfectly and unlike Phoenix Wright was very self-contained. A sequel could be done but it would feel a little... forced.

Singularity

theblackdragon

true, but the gameplay and the quirkiness of the characters had me just as hooked as the actual story. i'd love to play another point-and-click game like that even if it had an entirely different story and cast of characters behind it, it was really a lot of fun IMO.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.