Forums

Topic: New Nintendo 2DS XL Worth It in 2019?

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

JukeboxJoystick

I'm currently debating on whether or not to pick up a New Nintendo 2DS XL. I currently own the original Nintendo 3DS, and have been using it for nearly 7 years. It has been showing signs of age recently, and I've been thinking about getting a New 2DS XL. I do own a Nintendo Switch, but I've missed out on a ton of 3DS games and want to return to it, as the only Nintendo Switch game revealed for this year I'm determined to pick up is Super Mario Maker 2. Do you think it's wise to go ahead and get a New 2DS, or just deal with my current 3DS?

JukeboxJoystick

Banjo-

Firstly, 3DS and Switch are totally different things with many people surprisingly preferring 3DS (myself included). Secondly, one of the great features of 3DS is 3D so I would recommend any of the models that have 3D. You have the original 3DS and want a spare one just in case, you can still get a New 3DS (my favourite but hard to find) or a New 3DS XL (I believe these are available everywhere).

Banjo-

JukeboxJoystick

@BlueOcean I brought up the Switch because everyone I've asked before has told me to get a Switch instead, so I just put that in the post to save the trouble of explaining that I already own one. I generally don't use the 3D functions, which is why I'm aiming for a New 2DS, not to mention it's $50 cheaper.

JukeboxJoystick

Banjo-

@GlacierAC Yeah, I was just thinking about all the posts I've been reading recently praising the 3DS and also thinking about how different Switch and 3DS are and the rumours about a "light" Switch... Your post makes perfect sense as it is . Part of my reply was kind of a reflection.

If you don't use 3D and you want a spare console before it is discontinued and you are possibly forced to buy a used one or an expensive new one, why not, it wouldn't be crazy to get a New 2DS now at the recommended retail price if your console seems to be about to break or something. The New 2DS has a nice design and it's cheap.

Banjo-

JukeboxJoystick

@BlueOcean The last time I used 3D in actual gameplay was about 3 months ago, and even then I turned it off within 5 minutes. I doubt I'll be too desperate to get the feature back, but if I do I can always look for a used 3DS. Thanks for the recommendation!

JukeboxJoystick

JukeboxJoystick

@ReaderRagfish Since I've been using it for the past 7 years, it's definitely starting to show its age, specifically issues with the R button and the Circle Pad. I've used both a 2DS and a New 2DS, and I will admit that a 2DS was more comfy for my hands. However, I travel a lot, and it could be very impractical to have to carry that around since it lacks the clamshell design. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

JukeboxJoystick

GuyWithATV

Personally, I think you should consider a 2ds xl. My old 3ds model had defective buttons that came out of nowhere, and your 3ds could have the same story. I upgraded to a new 3ds xl not too long ago, and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

GuyWithATV

Heavyarms55

@GlacierAC I give you massive kudos for using the same 3DS unit for 7 years and only now is it showing signs of wear. How did you manage that? My original 3DS, admittedly was used (but was like new when I bought it) wore out badly after around 3ish years. The A button totally died and the glossy coating was peeling off in several places.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JukeboxJoystick

@Heavyarms55 The most hardcore games I played were Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter, and even then I didn't play a huge amount of either. Other than that, I just kept really good care of it, such as always keeping it in a protected area when I wasn't using it.

JukeboxJoystick

Heavyarms55

@GlacierAC that's interesting. I always felt I have taken good care of my game systems, even my Game Boy Color from way back still works great.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tokiwa

I say go for it if you still play it. I personally keep switching between my N3DSXL and my Switch so i can't see myself without any of them.

If you managed to make your 3DS last that long then i'm pretty a brand new unit will last as long or even more.

Tokiwa

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.