Forums

Topic: Concern: Where's the hype for Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

Posts 101 to 120 of 148

Bolt_Strike

Stomatopod17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Morphbug wrote:

Oh there was also that, not all the features introduced in the second generation came back.

Most of the features they got rid of in 3rd gen were replaced in some way. Pokegear was replaced with the Pokenav, the berries they got rid of were replaced by new ones which did the same thing plus more, most of the Apricorn Balls were replaced and they added new, more useful ones like the Repeat and Timer Balls. The only things that weren't replaced were the Day/Night system and transfers.

I'd argue that later generations were even worse with this, because some of the things they got rid of were more useful and weren't replaced. This is especially true of 5th gen which removed not only the usual gimmicks like the Poketch and Secret Bases, but also berry trees and even trainer rematches, and in turn offered few notable improvements in terms of content and gameplay mechanics. They weren't just replacing regional gimmicks like most regions do, they were stripping content for the purposes of an unwarranted "fresh start" for the series.

That would be 6th gen who removed ALOT of things..

The most notable is a way of transfer, which eventually pokebanked fixed but took forever for us to get it... No contest, no bases, nothing like that.. they removed ever lasting weather from gen 5 abilities.. ALOT of move's base powers and accuracy was changed for worse. No form of battle subway or anything like that.. just battle maison which is overly difficult and full of hax. list goes on.

In leafgreen and firered there was no day/night timer.. which is why umbreon and espeon were imposible in those two games unless traded evolved.

6th gen removed a few things as well, that's true, but I'm more forgiving of 6th gen because they actually added things to the gameplay. Between the 3D gameplay, Fairy type, Mega Evolutions, the PSS, Super Training, and Pokemon Amie, it genuinely feels like an improvement despite the fact that it lacked extra content compared to most games. But like I said, 5th gen didn't really make any significant improvements, and certainly didn't make up for what it removed. In other words, 6th gen felt like two steps forward and one step back, whereas 5th gen was more like half a step forward and two steps back.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Blast

I can't help but praise Pokemon Platinum over and over. There was this really cool Pokemon thingie that was on your wrist and it was full of nice and quirky apps. More apps got unlocked as you did stuff. Customizable Pokeballs..... Battle Frontier... Play against gym leaders when you want.... you got your own home and people would actually visit your own home. Poffins.... that contest where Pokemon did stuff that wasn't battling (I forget the name). Beeries... That cool underground area.

THE MUSIC!!! OHMYGAWD! THE MUSIC!!!!
That cool online area where you could talk to other people across the world and play games!!!!

Just so many epic things packed in one game.

You know how everyone has that one game that they would rebuy if it got remade in better graphics and content? That's Pokemon Platinum for me. Oh, I played that game with my friends for so many hours....

Edited on by Blast

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

To be honest i'm not hyped for this, but i'm still looking forward too it though when it comes out this year.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

ZurrrrBlattTron

Pokemon platinum was my first game too! I had Platinum first and then got Emerald from a friend and I didn't like it at all felt less inspired than Sinnoh and it didn't keep me in long (I literally stopped after I beat the fourth gym leader) even black and white entertained me more but like I said I'm definitely giving oras a shot as it looks much more polished this time

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

FlaygletheBagel

I-U wrote:

Blast wrote:

Or is it because people are getting burnt out on Pokemon games?

That's where I'm at. Even though Hoenn is one of my favorite regions and has my favorite generation of Pokémon, it's releasing way too soon following X/Y for me. X/Y pretty much drained me. With the extra Super Training, it took me longer than usual to beat the Elite Four. I haven't even bothered with whatever the post-game may be let alone try to develop a more competitive team.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I beat Gen II-III, but completely skipped Diamond and Pearl. I ended up picking up Black, but realized I wasn't even having fun about 70% of the way through. I did beat Black 2, but almost painstakingly. Then I got hyped for all the new features in Y and the 3D animations, so I hoped it would be different. But nope, I still have about a third of that game left and don't really want to touch it.

I don't know, maybe I just don't like Pokemon as much as I thought I did, or maybe I just get burnt out on those games within a single playthrough. Gold and Silver are great though--I could play Gen 2 over and over, but that's about the only one.

Games I'm playing: Hotline Miami 2, Smash Wii U, GTA V, Dying Light, Resogun

Recently completed games: Hotline Miami, P.T., Shovel Knight

Games I want soon: Zelda U, The Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture

3DS Friend Code: 5429-7042-7857 | Nintendo Network ID: AmateurSalad8

Ralizah

I'm not nostalgic at all for that gen, as I missed out on playing those games completely, so I'm not sure at this point why I'd buy them. I doubt they'll have features I loved in X and Y, like extensive trainer customization, friend safaris, or being able to skate around a huge city with dynamic camera angles. And the things I disliked about X and Y, such as AWFUL 3D implementation and a lack of compelling post-game content, will probably still apply here. As such, I'll wait for reviews before making my decision.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Bolt_Strike

Blast wrote:

PK O/A got some spotlight during Nintendo's Digital Event but you know what? I honestly didn't really care when I saw the footage. Looking back on it... that REALLY bothers me.
Lemme say that, I'm a HUGE Pokemon fan and that my favorite game of all time is actually Pokemon Platinum. But even I've noticed that I'm not really that excited for PK O/A. Do you guys remember the massive hype X/Y had? Oh, man. It was INSANE. I don't have that O/A....

Yes, I do think that people are starting to get burnt out on Pokemon, if by "people" you mean "people you see on the internet". Most of the people talking about Pokemon on the internet are the older fans, most of who have played tons of Pokemon games already. So naturally, playing dozens of games of the same "beat the 8 gyms, beat the evil team, beat the Pokemon League" formula gets tired after a while. So it should be no surprise that that group of Pokemon fans is starting to get tired of the series.

Unfortunately, the older fanbase is a vocal minority that Game Freak doesn't really care as much for, they're targeting younger audiences that haven't really played as much Pokemon games and are more easily pleased. So they can afford to just make the same kind of games over and over again and not really care about the consequences, little kids will just throw money at it without them having to exert that much effort.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Blast wrote:

PK O/A got some spotlight during Nintendo's Digital Event but you know what? I honestly didn't really care when I saw the footage. Looking back on it... that REALLY bothers me.
Lemme say that, I'm a HUGE Pokemon fan and that my favorite game of all time is actually Pokemon Platinum. But even I've noticed that I'm not really that excited for PK O/A. Do you guys remember the massive hype X/Y had? Oh, man. It was INSANE. I don't have that O/A....

Yes, I do think that people are starting to get burnt out on Pokemon, if by "people" you mean "people you see on the internet". Most of the people talking about Pokemon on the internet are the older fans, most of who have played tons of Pokemon games already. So naturally, playing dozens of games of the same "beat the 8 gyms, beat the evil team, beat the Pokemon League" formula gets tired after a while. So it should be no surprise that that group of Pokemon fans is starting to get tired of the series.

Unfortunately, the older fanbase is a vocal minority that Game Freak doesn't really care as much for, they're targeting younger audiences that haven't really played as much Pokemon games and are more easily pleased. So they can afford to just make the same kind of games over and over again and not really care about the consequences, little kids will just throw money at it without them having to exert that much effort.

Most of the older fans are more serious players, when introducing new pokemon and elements to the games it completely either makes it overly complicated or just too "gimmicky" I guess.. mega evolution seemed a little bit odd and rediculous at first which turned off alot of anti-legendary fans.. I'd get bored of pokemon too if every single player in battle spot just uses the same three pokemon as the last player.. particularly kangashkan.. this makes a pokemon either useful, or extremely worthless ruining diversity.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Also, ever since 5th gen, the games have started pandering even more to kids at the expense of older fans. Stuff like linear region design, limits on trainer rosters (gym leaders never have more than 3 Pokemon, Elite 4 never have more than 4, etc.), and the 6th gen EXP system aren't exactly popular with the older fans.

Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

I actually like the EXP share as a key item now.. I never HAD to farm wild pokemon EXP for hours and hours until they reached the same level as my main starter pokemon. That and super training definitly are very helpful to even older players. But yeah.. the E4 and champion were definitly lazy this gen.. 5th gen not so much.

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Stomatopod17 wrote:

I actually like the EXP share as a key item now.. I never HAD to farm wild pokemon EXP for hours and hours until they reached the same level as my main starter pokemon. That and super training definitly are very helpful to even older players.

It'd be a good solution if it didn't screw up the pacing that much, if you turn it on from the beginning and go through every single area and beat all of the trainers, you end up 10 levels higher than everything by the end. Literally, I did that and my Pokemon were in the low 80's by the time I beat the game. They really need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Stomatopod17 wrote:

But yeah.. the E4 and champion were definitly lazy this gen.. 5th gen not so much.

There wasn't much difference between 5th and 6th gen's Elite 4, they all had 4 Pokemon and both of them could be fought in any order. And while 5th gen did have 5 Pokemon through Challenge Mode, Challenge Mode was poorly implemented so most people couldn't use it, so it's almost as if it wasn't there at all. That leaves the only differences between the two being the levels and the Pokemon choice, and aside from the pacing issues I just explained, there's nothing inherently worse about the team design in XY than there was in 5th gen.

Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Stomatopod17 wrote:

I actually like the EXP share as a key item now.. I never HAD to farm wild pokemon EXP for hours and hours until they reached the same level as my main starter pokemon. That and super training definitly are very helpful to even older players.

It'd be a good solution if it didn't screw up the pacing that much, if you turn it on from the beginning and go through every single area and beat all of the trainers, you end up 10 levels higher than everything by the end. Literally, I did that and my Pokemon were in the low 80's by the time I beat the game. They really need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

True my aegislash was around 86 after I finished the post game (which really wasn't a good one..at all..) but it definitly saved time as I remember my common lead would be level 30 and some of my pokemon in my party would still be low 20s and onces my lead dies my entire team is swept at a gym or E4.. and training them to higher levels isn't as quick and easy as it sounds.. EXP share's new mechanics made this a little easier.

plus you're forgetting that the EXP share's mechanics also control the EV horde training so that your whole party gains evs rather then doing 1 at a time (still have to do 1 at a time but it isn't as long either. So long as you want all these evs in their same stats. This definitly speeds up the already annoying competitive breeding/training.)

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Stomatopod17 wrote:

But yeah.. the E4 and champion were definitly lazy this gen.. 5th gen not so much.

There wasn't much difference between 5th and 6th gen's Elite 4, they all had 4 Pokemon and both of them could be fought in any order. And while 5th gen did have 5 Pokemon through Challenge Mode, Challenge Mode was poorly implemented so most people couldn't use it, so it's almost as if it wasn't there at all. That leaves the only differences between the two being the levels and the Pokemon choice, and aside from the pacing issues I just explained, there's nothing inherently worse about the team design in XY than there was in 5th gen.

You're right there my bad, they do only have 4 (I was thinking they had 5..)
Atleast though the pokemon used back then were worthy opponents.. never have I been able to beat the E4 in one go like in x/y.. seriously none of the pokemon have high stats or anything and the typings for them alone were easy to counter. They're all frail and don't hit that hard.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Benlo

I'm really excited for these remakes! I feel like these remakes could fix a lot of the problems that X and Y had, mainly the post game. I'm also really excited for the reintroduction of secret bases. My only concern is that I hope they keep the character customization in, that was one of my favorite parts of X and Y.

Check me out on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperFrigloBros

3DS Friend Code: 0216-0790-7236 | Nintendo Network ID: benlo7 | Twitter:

LzWinky

Untitled

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Sleepingmudkip

Untitled all the hype in this Christmas tree

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

LzWinky

I'll show a lot of hype if they bring back the Battle Frontier in these remakes

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

What kills me is that there is literally so much potential in the Pokemon games. Like honestly.. we could be having epic tales of betrayal, romance, power, friendship, etc while staying true to what makes a Pokemon game awesome. If Gamefreak is too afraid to do stuff like this then they need to do a spinoff series for Wii U or 3DS.

Master of the Hype Train

LzWinky

I felt that X and Y were going somewhere with the story...then they realized they wanted to have a half-donkeyed story and fell apart towards the end. No really, it had such a great set up only to cop out in the end.

Edited on by LzWinky

Araquanid

I think gamefreak is trying too hard with mega evolution.. While the x/y storyline outside mega evolution with team flare and all was bad.. mega evolution's whole introduction is rather.. meh who cares.

It'd be different if maybe you heard about mega evolution and everybody were SEARCHING for a keystone the entire game than finally got it after the E4 but with this whole story of trying to figure out the "Mystery of mega evolution!" is like trying to learn about what causes a sandstorm in the game.. with no definitive explaination in the end wasting your time..

The mystery is! You press a stone, a pokemon evolves, they revert back when weakened or their job is done, I'VE SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF LIFE!

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Blast

Unca_Lz wrote:

I felt that X and Y were going somewhere with the story...then they realized they wanted to have a half-donkeyed story and fell apart towards the end. No really, it had such a great set up only to cop out in the end.

The story was borderline garbage. It had potential but it fell apart. X/Y player customization was pretty cool. I luv creating my own Trainer video and changing outfits. Why the heck isn't Gamefreak showing more of that in PK O/A? I'll just assume its there....

Master of the Hype Train

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.