Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 2,677

Xyphon22

So I just saw that My Nintendo has added some new games for free with gold coins. Two I have heard are good and have wanted are Severed and Noitu Love: Devolution. But they are both on 3DS rather than Wii U or Switch. I didn't even know they were on 3DS. Are these games still good and worth getting on an original 3DS?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

SuperLuigi111

roy130390 wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Resident Evil Revelations is a great third person shooter, along with Resident Evil Mercenaries, however the latter is intended for online co-op play. I think there's also a free to play game named Irnfall Invasion but I have never tried it.

Mario 3D land, Sonic Lost World and Rayman 3D are the only 3D platformers that I know.

Damn, was hoping there'd be more than those. A real shame there aren't, this would be a great console for them.

SuperLuigi111

Lloiddd

Yeah the girl at Gamestop told me a year ago when I told her I like MOnster Hunter and that I wanted to buy MH stories she said no, it's good rpg but it's not like MH. lol

FC Switch and 3DS 2810-1724-7536

SuperLuigi111

Anyone played Splinter Cell 3D? Been wanting it for a long time, but IGN said it wasn't great. Anyone feel differently?

SuperLuigi111

roy130390

@SuperLuigi111 Hey, maybe lego Marvel's Avengers will interest you. It's an action adventure game with an open world to free roam in 3D. I will share a post I made on reddit about it for you and anyone interested. It's a long post though.

I discovered this game a few days ago and found myself really enjoying it. I'm not a big fan of Lego games but I have played a few of them and Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4, just to specify) was the one that finally clicked with me. After having such a good experience, I decided to check the portable version since I prefer to play on my 3DS rather than on console, but the results were quite underwhelming when I saw that the portable version of that game was completely different in a bad way. Then, I discovered that the versions of Lego City Undercover and Lego Marvel's Avengers were more faithful and while offering different (and more limited as expected) content they did offer free roaming and most of the features of the console and pc versions, so I decided to try the latter as I had a really good time with the other Lego Marvel game.

These are my impressions of different aspects like gameplay, graphics, content and even soundtrack and sounds.

In terms of content, from my understanding the console version of these games offers more sandboxes to free roam like Asgard and South Africa while the 3DS version only offers New York and the Helicarrier, which are also featured in the console version. Lego Marvel's Avengers was considered a step back in comparison to Lego Marvel Super Heroes since many popular heroes like Spider-man, X men and the Fantastic Four aren't featured in the game and even less characters (including DLC) aren't featured in the 3DS version, like Fing Fang Foom, probably because of hardware limitations. Both console and portable versions (Vita and 3DS are the same version by the way) feature exclusive main and side missions and the portable versions lack co-op gameplay, which personally is the only big negative for me.

The gameplay is completely faithful to the console versions. There are a few limitations like Quicksilver and Speed not being able to run to the top of the buildings. The gameplay is actually expanded from Lego Marvel Super Heroes, featuring a Hulk and other strong characters that can actually do Super Jumps and climbing and many charcters being able to do combinations of attacks between them. The gameplay consists on models seen in third person perspective, with a free camera to move at will with the shoulder buttons and different powers and combat styles between characters. This may be my imagination, but the controls felt more polished and reponsive that on the console version, since I enjoyed flying more and felt less frustrated by doing the time trial missions on this game. It could also be that the missions were more polished in general too. Things like Hulk doing super jumps ad climbing may seem like a small feature after losing so many characters from the previous game, specially to fans, but then again having such a faithful feature from the character than enhances exploration and does justice to him made the game way more enjoyable for me. Using "Igor", wich is an Iron Man armor similar to the Hulkbuster is even better since you can combine Iron Man's flying with said super jumps and climbing. A lot of important characters aren't featured and some appearing won't matter to many people, but I'm sure that for most players, there will be a character that they'll enjoy as fans or at least just for the pure gameplay. I found the puzzles more enjoyable, finding the perfect balance between optional hints and simple yet different puzzles to do that felt more satisfactory to accomplish than the ones featured on Lego Marvel Super Heroes, despite of their simplicity. The game and missions were simply more enjoyable and felt more varied, having the right length to prevent missions from getting boring. There are also many collectibles and characters to find, along with challenges to complete, in case you get bored of the main missions.

In terms of graphics, the game has good looking models and the city is quite detailed. Of course, you can't have as many citizens as on the console versions so the city feels more empty, but still lively enough to feature the constant presence of many citizens and cars roaming the streets. Places that are far away look foggy, but the models manage to appear clearly at the right time, even when moving at high speed. To be honest is quite an impressive version on a handheld, and definitley a massive improvement over the other Lego games that offer a top down perspective and linear gameplay.

When it comes to performance, I didn't find as many problems as in other Lego games. A couple of times the game closed when I tried to make the side quests, thankfully both times right at the start and not while completing them. It also had the occasional and brief framedrops.

The music and sound are good, featuring the main theme of the Avengers film in diferent versions along with other songs. It fits well, it's nothing expectcular. The game features the recorded dialogues of the films so it's a bit weird, however the well done humour makes everything better and fun to watch. The custscenes aren't skippable though. While using Hulk, people are always shouting and running away from you, so the shouts do become a bit annoying. Thankfully, they don't shout with Iron man's heavy armors so you can experience the same gameplay without that inconvenience.

The game is easily a 9/10 for me. Even with less content, it still offers a lot and you can easily play many hours trying to find the collectibles or simply enjoying how fun is to use many characters than can run fast, fly or jump long distances. The game does lack important marvel characters, but honestly, the only downsides for me where the co-op and the fact that you can't replay side missions for some reason. It could also benefit from offering a few henchmen fights every now and then on free roam, in order to keep having stuff to do after finding everything or if you feel tired of replaying the main missions and challenges. It would also be nice if acrobatic characters like daredevil offered a bit more of possibilities when it comes to moving and climbing, since they are way more limited and seem almost useless when it comes to moving long distances.

I really hope people check this game since it's pretty much the best super hero game on portable by a long shot, and Lego Marvel games are probably the most faithful to actually playing a free roaming game with most of your favourite marvel characters. Aside from Spiderman, most of them lack a proper game and this is the closest thing. This version was barely reviewed since reviewers focused on the console version, but it's important to notice that this is one of the few portable games that offer a proper sandbox and that actually show almost the same quality. Most of the times reviewers say "go for the console version since this one is inferior" but not everyone has that posibility or some, like me, don't mind the few limitations in order to have this experience on the go.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Cromulent

I'm looking for some recommendations for open world sandbox RPGs. I don't mind if they are DS or 3DS games. Either would be fine for me.

Nintendo Network ID: Nizumzen

roy130390

@Cromulent Monster Hunter Stories is my favourite game on the 3DS and has a huge open world. The turn based combat is also fine.The same applies to Dragon Ball Fusions, which is quite good too. Xenoblade Chronicles is quite popular but I haven't played it so I can't recommend it.

Other open world games (just not rpgs) are Okamiden, which is a sequel to Okami and offers a Zelda-like gameplay but better in my opinion, (it's an easy recommendation and probably the most beautiful DS game) and Lego Marvel's Avengers 3DS which is quite fun action game with an open world and despite being a lego game offers the most faithful gameplay of some heroes that doesn't have their own game or had bad games.

Cromulent

@roy130390 Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out Monster Hunter Stories as I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I'll also try and get the Zelda games for the DS and 3DS as I've never played those and I feel like I am missing out on that whole thing.

I'm pretty new to Nintendo so I'm quite excited to dig through all of the old games.

Nintendo Network ID: Nizumzen

Viewbob

Can you guys recommend me anything like SMT IV: Apocalypse? It's probably my favorite RPG ever, story and gameplay-wise!

They say being drunk isn't too different from being sleep deprived.
In that case I've been on a two-week bender.

roy130390

@Viewbob Well, it depends in what you consider similar. For example, Etrian Odyssey games share turn based combat and high difficulty, so there's that in case you aren't familiar with them. Etrian Odyssey 4 is considered the best by many, and on discount you can buy it for about 5 dollars. it costs abut 10 if you buy it full price, I think. I do have to warn you, these games have a light story on purppose, so don't expect that to be their focus. Also, most of your party is defined since the start, there's no character/monster collecting.

7th Dragon Code is similar. It's more accesible in terms of difficulty and it has more focus on story but less deep when it comes to customization of character status, abilities and classes. It's also considerably shorter since the Etrian games offer even undreds of hours of challenge. It goes for about 13 dollars, and the times I have seen it on discount I think it costs about 7 dollars.

Then there's the turn based character collecting RPGs. Pokemon is obviously an option but I'm sure you are familiar with it. Monster Hunter Stories is another option (and a better one for me), it became my favourite 3DS game and while the main story is easy the post game and pvp offer great challenge. I enjoyed it way more than any Pokemon game, and had a blast training and personalizing my creatures. The combat is simple to learn but it's hard to learn every mechanic, and you can enjoy quite fun fights full of great strategies. Dragon Ball Fusions is another recommendation and quite similar to what I have said about MH Stories, but the ubalanced characters ( Saiyans make anything irrelevant, specially on pvp), and really weak story make me recommend Stories a lot more. Both games are worth it though, since they offer fun gameplay, unique combat systems ( more fresh than Pokemon) , beautiful visuals and hours of content.

The Shin Megami Tensei games are quite unique, so thi is the closest thing I can offer.

Edited on by roy130390

vswil

@Viewbob
Check out the other SMT games like devil survivor overclocked or devil survivor 2 record breaker. Also i really enjoyed SMT 4 if u didn't play that one go for it because its pretty much the same game mechanics. Theres devil summoner soul hackers which is a playstation or Saturn game not really sure but its on the 3ds.

Playing:
SMT Nocturne
Street fighter 3rd strike
Earthbound
SMT Devil Survivor 2 RB

Viewbob

Sorry, I should have clarified, I've played most of the 3ds SMT games, trying to hunt down Soul Hackers right now. I guess what I'm trying to look for most is similar 3D dungeon crawling gameplay.

They say being drunk isn't too different from being sleep deprived.
In that case I've been on a two-week bender.

Joeynator3000

...I may as well ask here...has anyone bought Battle Cats on the 3DS? I've been playing the mobile version, but the energy and food thing is just...getting annoying. I was curious once I heard there was a $10 version on the 3DS, but of course...they kept the free-to-play crap on it. WHY?!

Anyways, if anyone out there bought it, is it actually worth it?...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

GuyWithATV

I can't decide if I should get Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart DS, and Mario Party DS

GuyWithATV

Tyranexx

It's really all down to your personal preference. Do you get more enjoyment out of various crazy party games, or from zipping around some tracks with Mario & Co.? Try watching some footage online of these games and see which one appeals to you the most. If you decide on Mario Kart, personally I'd recommend Mario Kart 7 if you plan on playing online. The online services for all normal DS games (3DS games are fine) were discontinued back in 2014.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

GuyWithATV

Thanks. I chose Mario Kart 7. I really needed a game to play when I want to relax

GuyWithATV

bluemage1989

You know I've never been that big into portable gaming even though I have owned all of Nintendo's handhelds they were just for when I was staying in hotels while away on work. Even now I still take the 3DS and leave the Switch docked at home. With the 3DS coming to its end soon I'd like to pick up any games I should have played but never did get around to.

I own:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon X
Pokémon Ultra Sapphire
Pokémon Sun
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mario Party: Star Rush
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Star Fox 64 3D
New Super Mario Bros 2
Lego Batman 3
Professor Layton: Azran Legacy

I have Luigis Mansion 3D and Kirby's Epic Yarn 3D on order but is there any classics I should pick up now from anytime in the 3DS lifetime while there still easily available?? I only play two or three 3DS games a year and it would be good to have a backlog to keep me busy on my travels for years to come.

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

Being more of a home console Nintendo fan I don't know much about the 3DS library so thanks for the recommendations. I'll pick up Metroid for sure but I can see it being a long time till I play as I'm a bit burnt out on MetroidVanias in general at the moment. Is Kirby Triple Deluxe the better compared to Planet Robobot?? @linq

bluemage1989

Tyranexx

@Rezwashere: Glad to be of some help. Hope you enjoy it!

@ReaderRagfish: I find it interesting that despite the fact that DQ VII was ported/remade first, it's easier to find than DQ VIII. Is the latter more popular, or were there just less copies of it in circulation?

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

GuyWithATV

I've never played a Pokémon game in my life and want to try out the series. Is the any recommendations you guys have for my 3ds?

GuyWithATV

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic