There are no real surprises as Final Fantasy III sells nearly all its initial shipment, though SquareEnix were only expecting to get through 350,000 copies.
In the chart there are also the two Brain Training games accompanied by English Training, Japanese people sure are learning a lot lately!
The official top ten are as follows:
- Final Fantasy III (DS) - 503,051
- New Super Mario Bros (DS) - 65,556
- Rune Factory (DS) - 42,210
- Brain Training 2 (DS) - 41,784
- Cooking Navi (DS) - 37,326
- Tamagotchi 2 (DS) - 30,504
- Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (DS) - 30,355
- Animal Crossing Wild World (DS) - 30,023
- Brain Training (DS) - 22,866
- English Training (DS) - 17,465
Hardware sales are also showing a strong surge of popularity for the DS in Japan. Last week 163,274 DS's were sold, the closest the competition got to this was 29,945 PSP units sold.
Hardware Chart in full:
- DS Lite - 163,274
- PlayStationPortable - 29,945
- PlayStation 2 - 21,829
- GameBoy Advance-SP - 2.719
- GameBoy Micro - 1,819
- Xbox 360 - 1,197
- GameCube - 837
- DS - 410
- GameBoy Advance - 14
- Xbox - 12
So all in all its been an exceptional week for the DS over in Japan, It's quite rare indeed for one system to capture the market to this extent. Lets hope we see something similar in the other territories.