Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,581 to 6,590 of 6,590

XandertheWise

about finished watching High School High. not bad for a silly spoof Comey movie poking fun at Dangerous Minds even a little making fun of Stand and Deliver.

after I'm done with that, I'm going watch the 1995/1996 movie Invasion of Privacy. me and my siblings and mom traveled to Salt Lake City one time during 1994 or sometime in 1995 where our mother was trying to get a job as a music teacher over there in Salt Lake City. nice decent city but it was hot there during the summer

XandertheWise

WoomyNNYes

Bought Star Wars 4,5,6 and 7,8,9 on sale for $8 USD each on Apple TV/iTunes. Now that the Apple TV streaming app makes TV/movie purchases easily accessible on TV, and I can watch it anywhere with a roku, this option is quite attractive. (plus that let me rip the 1080p versions from itunes. Although, itunes encryption upgrades still blocks the ripping of movies released 2021 and newer.)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

steruphan

IF is a beautiful, charming and heartfelt story about twelve year old Bea who can see the imaginary friends (IFs) of other children. While her father is in the hospital, she tries to give a renewed purpose to those IFs whose kids have forgotten about them.

Gently directed by John Krasinski, IF is a family film for the ages, one that only comes around once a decade or so. There's no flashy set pieces here, no hyperactive characters that will annoy parents, no reliance on pop cultural references,... only good honest storytelling with a focus on character and emotions.

Technically the film doesn't drop a beat either. The cinematography is gorgeous in its simplicity, the CGI is near flawless, the edit lets every scene breathe and Michael Giacchino's magnificent original score brings everything together into a satisfying whole.

IF is a celebration of imagination and memories and one I will cherish for a long time to come.

I started a Letterboxd account this year where I post reviews for every movie I watch on the big screen. Please feel free to follow me on that platform if you've got an account there. I'll gladly return the favor.
https://letterboxd.com/steruphan

Edited on by steruphan

Shining Light on Stories Told

XandertheWise

anyone else having a problem with Tubi being down for tonight? I tried loading up Tubi like twice on my playstation 4 and a message keeps popping up on the Tubi page saying Oops. Guess Tubi is down for tonight.

oh well, I'm busy with binging on Picard Season 3 on Paramountplus tonight anyway

XandertheWise

Sunsy

Watched Thelma the Unicorn last night on Netflix. Enjoyed this one more than I anticipated. Nice movie that gets rather heartwarming towards the end. Nice story about a pony who wanted to be famous, but seeing that it's not all that it really is, and how hard the entertainment industry can be.

Will admit, I was not expecting a performance of the 2gether song "The Hardest Part of Breaking Up (Is Getting Back Your Stuff)" to be sung in one scene. As someone who remembers 2gether, I feel like I'm the only one who picked up on it. For those who don't know, 2gether was a parody boy band MTV created.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

RR529

Back to School (Blu-Ray) - I'd seen bits & pieces of this before on TV, but realized I'd never seen the whole thing (or much of anything else with Rodney Dangerfield, other than Caddyshack), so I decided to pick this up on BD (a double pack with another of his comedies, which I also watched). I don't think Dangerfield is quite up there as Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, or John Candy when it comes to big 80's comedians, but this was still a pretty fun watch, as he plays a wealthy business owner with a working class mentality who decides to attend college with his son (he skipped out when he was younger to work for his father's clothing business, which he inherited & expanded into a national chain).

Easy Money (Blu-Ray) - the other Dangerfield film in the double pack. This time in the role of a middle class father who has a weakness for various vices (gambling, drinking, smoking, gluttony, etc), however when his mother in-law passes away she leaves the family her $10,000,000 retail empire, but only if he can straighten himself out & refrain from partaking in any of his vices for a year. I didn't much care for the subplot involving his daughter's marriage, but other than that, I'd say I enjoyed this one a bit more of the two films.

Paprika (4K UHD Blu-Ray) - Anime film in which a small group of scientists & a detective get caught up in a case where someone steals a device that let's them go into/merge people dreams, and people start dying after being afflicted with delusions while awake. It's a pretty twisty & trippy tale, and also very gorgeous. Interesting watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

diamond_dog88

Dune Part 2, Ghostbusters Frozen Empire.
gonna rewatch the original Addams Family soon and Addams Family Values.

And the new Road House on Amazon Prime was pretty good.

Had a little skim through some posts on this page, Star Wars woohoo. Not heard or seen many of the others.

Diamond Dog.

steruphan

Based on the 2001 Texas Monthly article, Hit Man tells the story of philosophy teacher and part-time undercover agent Gary Johnson, played by Glen Powell.

His job requires him to entrap suspects who want to hire a hitman to have someone killed. On one of his assignments, Gary meets Maddy Masters, who he instantly falls in love with. Instead of entrapping her, he helps her move on from her husband who she initially wanted to have murdered. Gary gets away with it and the two start a secret affair, each keeping secrets from one another.

Hit Man is a funny, well written romantic comedy that charms with its excellent performances by Glen Powell and Adria Arjona as Maddy. Richard Linklater directs with a deft hand and the script, co-written by Powell, keeps you guessing. In short, a fun time at the movies.

More reviews at: https://letterboxd.com/steruphan

Edited on by steruphan

steruphan

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga is a brutal prequel to Fury Road, telling the tale of how Furiosa came under control of Immortan Joe.

Anya Taylor-Joy does a great job filling the shoes of Charlize Theron portraying the titular character. It's Chris Hemsworth's Dementus that steals the show though. Like all rulers in this wasteland, he's twisted and vile but in an entertaining way.

The movie covers 15 years spread over 5 chapters. Because of this, the movie needs to start over several times, which kills the pacing a good deal. It's not until the final act that Furiosa is able to maintain urgency for a prolonged time. It tested my patience at times but the payoff was worth it.

Featuring some outstanding action set pieces, great cinematography and a pulse pounding original score, Furiosa is a good prequel to Fury Road. Its poor pacing during the first two acts however, keep it from being a great one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic