Forums

Topic: Europe: 4/9/09 DSiWare Release

Posts 21 to 27 of 27

warioswoods

I've found one thorough review of the 6 in 1 app here (for those of us that read German):

http://www.nintendo-online.de/artikel/reviews/705/woerterbuch...

One bizarre note here is that, apparently (I haven't read this elsewhere yet), the dictionary app has been reduced from 800 to 500 points, at least in some areas. Odd, if true, and would indicate some sort of pricing mishap. Anyhow, the review doesn't actually make it sound all that bad -- the main complaint they have is its low vocabulary size, meaning many words are absent that one might expect, but I probably woudn't use it for much more than understanding the basics of some statement or sign, so that's not a huge deal. The reviewer claims that the camera recognition function worked correctly about half of the time--which is actually pretty high, all things considered, and could likely go a lot higher if you take pictures carefully of well-formed text--but they do not comment specifically on how it handles Japanese text, which is one of my biggest questions.

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Cheezy

They changed the price in some areas? Huh, that is strange. As for the camera function, it's cool it exists, as it would help me when playing more complex Japanese imports

Who Are You?

warioswoods

Nintendolife now has a news article announcing the price drop, so it's confirmed to be across the board.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Djrr-ific

Yeah I checked it, and it's 500 points now! Glad I bought Sujin Taisen instead of this!

3DS Friend Code: 5241-2047-4489

Prochnow

warioswoods wrote:

The reviewer claims that the camera recognition function worked correctly about half of the time--which is actually pretty high, all things considered, and could likely go a lot higher if you take pictures carefully of well-formed text--but they do not comment specifically on how it handles Japanese text, which is one of my biggest questions.

Actually, a recognition of 50% is as usefull as a recognition of 0%.

It's much faster to type the word than to take a picture and to correct everything manually. This feature might me usefull with japanese characters, but I don't speak japanese and don't really need that (just like 99.9% of all europeans).

The more I think about this software the angrier I get. I should simply copy it to the SD card and forget about it- and the 800 points I paid for it... :/

Prochnow

warioswoods

It is indeed for Japanese text that I'm most interested in the camera feature, for I agree that it would be easier just to type in anything else--I still haven't read any review of its ability to recognize Japanese characters, so we'll see, but I honestly just think that it sounds like a nifty little gadget to fool around with on the DSi.

Prochnow

warioswoods wrote:

It is indeed for Japanese text that I'm most interested in the camera feature

Maybe this software would be more usefull:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcojCHgoKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTbOGPcJ3SU
Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

And one sentence in german (I hope that's allowed on this forum) about "missing words" in this dictionarty: Was mich wirklich sehr aufregt an der ganzen Geschichte ist, dass Nintendo nun auch noch ein Wörterbuch "kindgerecht" bearbeitet und "unschöne" Worte einfach herausstreicht. Du kannst ja mal bei allen anderen DS-Wörterbüchern schauen - diesem japanischen, oder dem von Langenscheidt, oder bei den HMH Vokabeltrainern - Niemand kam auf die Idee, Begriffe zu zensieren. Ekelerregend!

Edited on by Prochnow

Prochnow

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.