The latest Japanese charts are now in and it introduces a few new entries for the week with the likes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R, The Last of Us: Part 1, and Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure tops the charts with a respectable 19,807 units sold across the week, however the now five-year old Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is right on its tail in third place, selling a total of 12,568 units. It's simply remarkable to see Nintendo's racer continuing to dominate with no real indication of slowing down.
Elsewhere, The Last of Us: Part 1 has entered the charts in fifth place, selling a total of 10,954; the PS5 exclusive boasts a huge visual upgrade over the original PS3 release back in 2013, and our friends over at Push Square awarded it an impressive 8/10 in their review.
Finally, Made in Abyss, the action RPG from Spike Chunsoft, somes in at number four, selling a total of 12,542 units. The PS4 version of the game also entered the charts at number nine with 7,720 units sold. It's certainly indicative of the Switch's popularity in Japan, particularly amongst RPG fans.
All in all, it's another strong week for the Switch, albeit rather modest considering the total units sold. This will likely change significantly next week with the launch of Splatoon 3; a franchise that has proven exceptionally popular in Japan.
Here's the full top ten for the week:
- [NSW] JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R (Bandai Namco, 09/01/22) – 19,807 (New)
- [PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 15,036 (83,377)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 12,568 (4,815,149)
- [NSW] Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness (Spike Chunsoft, 09/01/22) – 12,542 (New)
- [PS5] The Last of Us Part I (SIE, 09/02/22) – 10,954 (New)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 9,004 (715,641)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 8,565 (2,776,718)
- [NSW] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 8,565 (2,776,718)
- [PS4] Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness (Spike Chunsoft, 09/01/22) – 7,720 (New)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 7,246 (876,792)
Looking at the hardware sales for the week, the Switch OLED is still dominating with a total of 66,442 units sold. There seems to be no stopping the OLED at the moment, and this has likely been boosted by the launch of the Splatoon 3 model. The PlayStation 5, meanwhile, has seen its own sales dip ever so slightly, but with 18,431 units of the disc model sold, the console's momentum remains relatively strong.
- Switch OLED Model – 66,442 (2,377,584)
- Switch – 22,857 (18,638,901)
- PlayStation 5 – 18,431 (1,647,464)
- Switch Lite – 8,869 (4,879,602)
- Xbox Series X – 4,175 (158,750)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,861 (264,173)
- Xbox Series S – 1,263 (164,962)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 56 (1,188,606)
- PlayStation 4 – 10 (7,819,849)
Let us know what you think of the latest Japanese charts in the comments!