Nintendo Switch Sports is still the king of the Japanese charts this week. The sports simulation game racked up another 28,259 sales in the week of 30th May to 5th June. It's fast approaching 500,000!
But it faced some stiff competition from a brand new release this week. MAGES' visual novel, The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie: Five Memories of My Time with You, charted on both Switch and PS4, with the Switch version selling 21,440 units, which doesn't put it far behind Switch Sports. The PS4 version sold just over 9,000, but it's an impressive debut for the Japan-exclusive game.
In another strong week for the Switch, Kirby and the Forgotten Land continues to make an impact in Japan, holding onto third place. And The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has returned to the top ten.
Will the status quo be retained in next week's charts with the release of Mario Strikers: Battle League this Friday? Time will tell. Here's the full top ten this week:
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 28,259 (447,781)
- [NSW] The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie: Five Memories of My Time with You (MAGES., 06/02/22) – 21,440 (New)
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 13,290 (749,577)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,848 (4,664,614)
- [PS4] The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie: Five Memories of My Time with You (MAGES., 06/02/22) – 9,029 (New)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 7,617 (2,663,165)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 6,881 (3,169,070)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 6,153 (4,895,873)
- [NSW] eBASEBALL Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 (Konami, 04/21/22) – 6,021 (183,229)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 4,419 (2,036,972)
The console charts have a bit of a surprise for us, however. The Switch OLED still sits at the top, but the PlayStation 5 has overtaken the base Switch model, selling an impressive 26,153 units this week. As stock shortages continue to improve, so do PS5 sales, and with an impressive State of Play last week, Sony is looking strong. The Xbox Series S has also had another boost, jumping ahead of the Switch Lite to place in fourth.
- Switch OLED Model – 32,506 (1,861,529)
- PlayStation 5 – 26,153 (1,437,531)
- Switch – 19,650 (18,346,685)
- Xbox Series S – 8,532 (121,759)
- Switch Lite – 7,966 (4,743,754)
- Xbox Series X – 3,041 (104,363)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,430 (240,997)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 257 (1,186,636)
- PlayStation 4 – 21 (7,819,605)
Want to let us know your thoughts on this week's Japanese charts? You know where to go.