Kalypso will be releasing an updated version of the PC strategy game Commandos 3: Destination Berlin on Switch later this year. Kalypso has also previously published a remaster of Commandos 2 back in 2020.
Simply titled Commandos 3 - HD Remaster, this is a total revamp of the RTS game that reworks the controls, gives the game a more modern UI, and updates the visuals. The original was the first entry in the Commandos series to use a true 3D engine, with multiple fights to command including at Stalingrad, Berlin, and Omaha Beach.
Here's what to expect from this rerelease from Kalypso's website:
What is Commandos 3 – HD Remaster?
Fall in, soldier! Commandos 3 – HD Remaster sends you to the cruel battlefields of Europe. Fight your way through the icy, deadly trenches of Stalingrad, defeat the German enemy at the fanatical heart of the Third Reich in Berlin, and rely on your tactical skills on the blood-soaked beaches of Normandy on D-Day.
In this completely revamped third installment of the acclaimed real-time tactics Commandos series, you lead a group of notorious special forces far behind enemy lines in World War II, helping the Allies to victory – in stunning high-definition visuals, with improved controls and a modern user interface.
What are the main features of Commandos 3 − HD Remaster?
- Re-imagined in HD with reworked controls, modernized UI and overhauled tutorial.
- Engage the enemy across Europe – from the Eastern front of Stalingrad and the German Headquarters in Berlin to the D-Day assault on Omaha Beach – each offering unique tactical situations and more action than ever before in the series.
- Navigate detailed interior and exterior environments using ambushes, assaults, stealth and sabotage to disrupt enemy advances.
- Compete in ‘Deathmatch’ or ‘Collect the Flag’ modes for 2-8 players, all with distinct victory conditions.
- Improved accessibility: Commandos 3 – HD Remaster features more detailed, smaller maps providing more action-orientated missions that form part of an overall campaign.
What can be expected with Commandos 3 – HD Remaster?
The revamped Commandos 3 experience
Return of the real-time tactics classic Commandos 3, updated with modern controls and UI for today’s console and PC generation.
Updated modern UI and controls
Experience the Commandos 3 visuals like never before with modern controls and UI for the current console and PC generation.
- Commandos 3 − HD Remaster comes with modern updated graphics, controls and UI.
- Keyboard shortcuts for each weapon, item, and ability
- Remade for perfect use with the controller on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
- Full gamepad support for all platforms
- New aiming system and visualization
- Redesigned tutorial for gamepad input
- Fully customizable keyboard/mouse/gamepad layout for PC
- Resolution support up to 4K
- Remastered rendering and visual effects
- Remastered 3D models for characters and interior environment
- Remastered menu and UI for both PC and consoles
- Upscaled 2D backgrounds / video and cutscenes
- Improved tutorial instructions
- Expanded map borders for more flexible gameplay
- A new ‘Rookie’ difficulty mode
- Voice and text language configuration
Depth of gameplay
- Lead up to 6 Commandos with different skills and weapons.
- Each mission will be a completely new challenge and will offer multiple ways to complete them.
- Only tactical planning and careful choice of weapon and skills will lead to victory.
- Many tactical possibilities available by utilizing different combinations of skills, characters and weapons.
- Huge variety of locations; indoors and outdoors, plus night and day levels.
Hardcore tactical gameplay
- Challenging gaming experience without any compromises.
- Easy to learn, hard to master:
- Skill-based game with a quick game loop
- However, with a meta-game of acquiring knowledge and strategies long m term.
- No gimmicks, no loot boxes, etc.
Lead your favorite Commandos again to victory
Meet your favorite Commandos all over again:
- Return to detailed rendered HD locations like Germany, France and Russia.
- Commandos 3 – HD Remaster will bring the 3rd installment to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch for the first time.
The game launches on the Switch eShop this September, however, Commandos 3 - HD Remaster will also be getting a physical release in October, so if you're into collecting your physical media, you might want to hold off for that!
Will you be picking up this remaster later in the year? Let us know!