As promised, Nintendo has now released its first major content update for Mario Golf: Super Rush.
It adds ranked matches, the new playable character Toadette, the new Golf Course New Donk City (as seen in Super Mario Odyssey), adjusts motion controls, and makes a lot of general changes to enhance the overall experience. You can read our verdict on the update now.
Here are the full patch notes, courtesy of Nintendo's official support page:
Ver. 2.0.0 (Released August 5, 2021)
- Addition of Ranked Match
- We have added "Ranked Match" as an online play option.
- The goal is to improve your global ranking from "C-" to "S+" based on the number of monthly match points you accumulate from the results of your matches.
- In Ranked Matches, you will be automatically matched with opponents as close as possible in distance and rank.
- If there are only a few opponents available, you will be matched up even if there is some rank difference, but there is a handicap where higher ranked players will be behind you on the tee. If you can beat a higher ranked player, a bonus will be added to your monthly match points.
- Your monthly match points, rank, and global ranking will be reset every month, but you will still be able to review your past records.
- The game is divided into four categories: "Button Controls: Standard Golf", "Button Controls: Speed Golf", "Motion Controls: Standard Golf", and "Motion Controls: Speed Golf”.
- Achieve a rank of "A-" or higher each month, you will be able to use a character with a special appearance as a bonus.
- Achieve a rank of "A-" or higher in any one of the categories during August 2021, and you will be able to use "Red Yoshi,” “Blue Yoshi” and “Yellow Yoshi” as a bonus, effective immediately.
- Addition of "Toadette" as a playable character
- Toadette has been added as a playable character that can be used in matches.
- While she has the highest control rating of all the characters, she also has the lowest power. She is recommended for those who want to hit the ball exactly where they want it to go, one shot at a time.
- Golf Course "New Donk City" Added
- "New Donk City" from "Super Mario Odyssey" has been added as a playable golf course.
- This is a short course with 18 holes, all of which are rated Par 3, but it offers the possibility of unique strategies such as bouncing the ball off the walls of buildings.
- There are two difficulty levels to choose from, "Amateur" and "Pro", making the tees and greens of all 18 holes completely different.
- Adjusted Motion Controls
- It is now easier to generate power when swinging with a full swing in mind.
- Approach shots aiming at the cup position are now less likely to go wide.
- The angle of the club is now reflected on the screen when you get into a position to hit the ball.
- Additions to the "How to Play" section
- Added explanations of how to play, and tips for Motion Controls in the "Golf Guide".
- General Changes
- “Return to Character Select" and "Return to Course Select" have been added to the Pause Menu exit options.
- Character points required to obtain the next set of clubs are now displayed in Character Select.
- Course Select now displays the number of holes you need to play before you can play the next course.
- The number of holes played before the next course can be played is now displayed in Course Select.
- However, during online play, you may not be able to select it until you return to the main menu, even if you meet the conditions.
- The default number of players (including COM) has been changed to two when playing with the "Stroke Play " and "Take Turns" rules in the Standard Golf menu of “Play Golf”.
- Adjusted the search procedure for "Find a Room" in the online room menu of “Play Golf”.
- In online play, even if a network error occurs in another player’s room, the game will now continue after the player is replaced with a COM player. The room will be disbanded if the hosting console has a network error, because the hosting console manages the game settings.
- In Ranked Matches, if the hosting console has a communication error, it will be replaced by the COM and the game will continue.
- A warning and countdown will be displayed 30 seconds before the end of the game.
- Special Shots now pierce through tree foliage.
- When playing with two players in split-screen mode on a single Nintendo Switch console, the screen of the player who scores first will no longer follow the other player.
- Motion Controls has been changed so that the character will not automatically move when the pause menu is open during online play.
- Adjusted the difficulty level of the goal to clear XC Golf at Ridgerock Lake.
- Changes have been made to the game balance, and other issues, to make for a better play experience.
Have you downloaded this update yet? Notice anything else? Leave a comment down below.
I tried out the Donk City map it is definitely interesting and unique from the others. Feel like it’ll need an update down the road perhaps; I literally got my ball stuck in the corner of one of the buildings and Mario is just standing on top of the golf club 😂 . The special character incentives seem cool
The difficulty change to the cross country is needed, but I’m glad I beat it already.
So my wife and I just played the new donk map and tried out Toadette, we had a blast but came to find that her fave character Daisy no longer says "whatever" when she gets a bogey, she now says "boo"... Why on earth was this changed??? We love Daisy's sass
That’s a weird change, it definitely was a standout comment lol
How does an update work if you have a physical copy? Can you still download and apply it to the game?
"Special Shots now pierce through tree foliage."
Thank goodness, it's such a minor change but the previous behavior was probably what got me the most upset when playing
Please add an update (or even dlc) to replace the atrocious music, with the old N64 MarioGolf music. I actually turned off the music, burned old MarioGolf music from YouTube to LogicPro and play it from my iTunes through a Bluetooth speaker. It’s an unfortunate hack, that does work wonders. My brother walked in and was like “ Oh thank god, they updated the music.” And I said “Nope. I did.”
Edit: other N64 classics made my golfing cut too. Teeing off to Zora’s Domain or Nokia Bay or Drake Lake is magical… now that I think about it, YouTube might get another visit for Phendrana Drifts
New Donk is pretty much what I expected, all par 3 holes. I’m just happy to see one course that feels unique. It’s only a matter of time until this gets another patch seeing the boys and I have been playing the course for the last two hours and have already ran into multiple hilarious glitches. I’m happy with the update overall though!
@PapaMurphy Highlight the game on the Switch menu, press the "+" button and select update software.
I wonder if thr colored Yoshi's will be added for everybody later on.
IIRC they did something like that with Mario Tennis Aces
That XC level was one of my least favorite level of any game I've ever played.
@WachiAlphi what how weird! I loved her saying whatever too haha
@MetaRyan I concur. I was so surprised when my special shot hit a tree….. made no damn sense ha
@snarls200 really? I thought you could only lock the outfit changes by playing the specific challenges? I know the new characters were unlocked for everyone eventually tho.
Sorry for a million separate replies here haha - I’m stoked to see they made so many changes. Had a feeling they would, just like Tennis. Tho can’t help but wish they did all this from the beginning. Would’ve helped it’s initial response/reviews..
Looking forward to getting back in!
I think the outfits have to be unlocked but from what I understand the added characters had to be earned if you wanted them early.
Nintendo missed the opportunity to combine Mario Golf with 3D World.
@Hero-of-WiiU I also noticed when you select Wario from the character screen, he now says, "Fore!" Don't remember hearing that audio clip before.
It isn't extremely noticeable if they have, but I hope they buff the wind. It feels almost non-existent in this game, and you never need to accommodate much for it, unlike in past Mario Golf games.
I fell off pretty quickly from this game, but the updates are fortunately reeling me back in, at least for a little bit. I've been playing quite a lot tonight and even got up to the top 300 for ranked stroke play matches with button controls. Hopefully that isn't indicative of how dead the online community already is.
It's a good start, but the game still only has like a third the amount of courses of World Tour on 3DS and at 20 extra dollars. I'm hoping for at least a snow course and a beach course at some point. I really thought New Donk City was only going to be playable in the battle stadium mode, but I'm pleased to see it's a full 18-hole course. They're all Par 3's, which gives me strong vibes of the DK jungle canopy course from Toadstool Tour.
@PapaMurphy It is the same for physical and digital. The next time you play the game, it will let you know there is an update and will install it (unless there are system settings that disable automatic updates - not sure).
"Adjusted the difficulty level of the goal to clear XC Golf at Ridgerock Lake.´"
Huh, maybe now i can actually progress in the game...
@Tandy255 So actually, the way it works is that a game will not automatically update if it isn't one of the last games you played. It has to be one of the 12 titles visible on the home menu of your Switch without pressing "All Software" to see more. This also had me very confused for a while till I looked it up. If you haven't played in a while, or if you have auto updates disabled (cause yeah, that is an option) you will have to update manually.
@PapaMurphy If you need to do a manual update, just hover over the game icon and press the start (+) button. Click "Software Update" and then "Via the internet," and it will either begin updating or tell you you're using the latest version of the software. If you're using another application with online functionality like the YouTube app or, say, Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros., the update will not download until you close the software. Also, you can still update a physical game even if you don't have the cartridge inserted. Just make sure you have ample storage space.
Hope that clears things up for you guys!
@Not_Soos Good to know. Just to clarify, if you go to play the game, though, it will automatically update (with the settings turned on), right? Because that would force it to the recently played list. This is how it has always worked for me.
It is good to know, though, that I can preload updates and have them ready to play for a later date.
Why just Yoshi recolours? Can't you give him an actual golf outfit?
Either way, not a bad free update. Probably gonna try to unlock the Yoshi colours.
@Tandy255 If you know ahead of time that an update to a game is coming out, playing the game beforehand to put it on your recently played list should cause it to update automatically when it drops. But if you missed an update that's already available, trying to boot up the game should give you a message asking if you want to install the latest version. So it's technically manual at that point because you have to press Yes to confirm, but it does at least notify you, usually.
There have been times it just launches straight into the game though, even if I'm sure there's an update available, and I have to close the software and check for updates. I think it's more likely to stop you and ask if you want to update if it's an online game like Fortnite that won't work without it, but if it's a single-player game, it might not always happen. Hope that makes sense, it definitely seems a little inconsistent.
NL can you not refer to the DLC as 'free'. It has already been paid for as part of the games full price.
@PapaMurphy yes, the updates are downloaded onto the Switch itself.
Ahh right OK, cheers for letting me know folks. Just that I fancy getting that on physical to keep, but I did wonder if you'd miss out on patches and updates. No worries, I shall now purchase with confidence.
Oh and I don't make pizzas, that's Papa John. I make splendid Irish stout. "Loyk da Murphy's, oy'm nat bitter"
As I've heard a million times hahaha
Wow what a big update, very happy with this!
just played new Donk, single player. Utterly pointless for grown ups on the front tees, just 18 SW shots! But on the harder setting, it's really fun and challenging, enjoying it!
Just now adding ranked? What. I swear people never get a finished product since the invention of DLC.
Looks great. Looks the donks
@snarls200 it probably wont and will be back next august (similar to aces hats)
IS NO ONE GONNA TALK ABOUT THE FIRE HYDRATS IN NEW DONK???
"Special Shots now pierce through tree foliage."
THANK GOD. That was so maddening, especially because some special shots have a gigantic arc that goes far higher than the trees, and some are a laser beam straight forward, exactly at foliage height. Felt really bad to have a superpowered shot that you can only use once every few holes stopped by a leaf.
Tap here to load 37 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...