Atmospheric survival horror game Darkwood is launching on Nintendo Switch today and a creepy - but pretty cool - launch trailer has been released to celebrate.
First announced for Switch back in the Spring Nindies Showcase, Darkwood is described as a "challenging survival horror that does not rely on jump scares". Instead, you'll be scared of your surroundings and the nightmarish forces waiting for you in the woods as you craft weapons, prepare traps, and explore during the day before hiding away at night.
- Horror without jumpscares– Darkwood is an atmospheric, psychological horror that creates the feeling of tension without the usual horror tricks. No creaking doors here!
- Day and night cycle–explore the world during the day and try to survive the night by hiding from evil forces in your shelter.
- Randomly generated map–the world will not change during your adventure with Darkwood, but it can be completely different for your friends!
- Crafting-scavenge for materials to create weapons, traps, health potions or your hideout upgrades.
- Skills and perks–learn new powers by extracting a strange essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream.
- No hand holding–test your skills and figure things out on your own!
- Impactful decisions–decide on the world of Darkwood, its inhabitants and the story you experience.
You can pick it up from the eShop today for £12.99 / $14.99 - if you dare.
Have you been keeping tabs on this since the Nindies Showcase? Excited to give it a go? Let us know in the usual place.