Shovel Knight has been a notable debut success for Yacht Club Games, and it's still ongoing. As a result of numerous stretch goals from the original Kickstarter campaign the studio has been working - for well over a year - on free updates.
The studio has now sent out a status update to backers, also shared on its website, outlining some key details about content currently in development. As previously confirmed it's the Specter Knight campaign currently in the works, and the GIFs below show the character's moveset in action.
Though they won't all arrive at the same time, Yacht Club games is working on all of the extras at once - below is a segment from the blog post.
That means Specter Knight, King Knight, Body Swap, and Battle Mode (for PC and consoles). That's a lot more game — and it should arrive sooner than the wait between Shovel Knight and Plague Knight. Creating these updates simultaneously will allow us to plan more cohesively. How levels change between the two characters, how much time is needed for new mechanics/systems, stories interweaving, and so on. Once we're nearing completion on one set of updates, we'll be switching our focus to a single campaign to make sure it's polished for release. Then we'll be doing the same by switching to the next campaign! Here are some answers to the most frequent questions:
- We're working on two new campaigns: Specter Knight and King Knight.
- Campaigns will not be releasing at the same time. Specter Knight will be released first!
- No estimated release date for any Update quite yet.
- Similar to our last update, we'll probably go overboard too. Hey! Maybe that's why we're called Yacht Club Games!
- New campaigns will come with new Feats and Challenges for the new campaign character!
- We're also working on two new modes: Body Swap and Battle Mode!
- Just like Plague of Shadows releasing with Challenge Mode, we're planning to release one of these new modes alongside each campaign.
- Battle Mode is being designed as a single screen, multiple controller, multiplayer mode and is currently not planned to arrive on handheld versions of the game. We'll be sure to announce if there are any changes on that front.
- Much like Plague of Shadows, all of the announced upcoming Shovel Knight content will be free on ALL platforms! For disc/cart and digital versions!
It seems extraordinary that all of this content will be free, even if it was promised all that time ago on Kickstarter. Are you excited about more Shovel Knight goodness, and which mode / extra are you most keen to try?
Thanks to all that sent this in.