"Mee-outh, that's white"
Brushing your teeth is boring. It’s dull when you’re an adult and it’s even worse when you’re a kid, because you’d really rather be playing with your Thunderbirds toys or Cabbage Patch Dolls, or whatever cross-media property young people are into these days (look, we don’t know, we haven’t been kids for a...
In the magazine business, the Back Page is where you'd find all the weird goofs that we couldn't fit in anywhere else. Some may call it "filler"; we prefer "a whole page to make terrible jokes that are tangentially related to the content of the mag". We don't have pages on the internet, but we still love terrible jokes — so welcome to our...
Is there such a thing as too cute?
The Johto region is coming to Pokémon Smile! If you — like many of us — had forgotten about the smartphone app that encourages kids to brush their teeth, then don't feel too bad. The app only received its first update last November, and The Pokémon Company has finally scrubbed up enough for a second. Version...
New Pokémon arrive, plus bug fixes
Pokémon's had its fair share of quirky spin-offs over time – remember the surprisingly decent Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure on Nintendo DS? – but none find themselves quite as high on the 'we didn't expect that' scale than Pokémon Smile. Released last year, Pokémon Smile is a smartphone app...
For fans of the mainline series, it wasn't the most auspicious of starts. The opening announcement from The Pokemon Company's recent 11-minute presentation likely had many a gamer rolling their eyes and wondering what the heck the guardians of the Pocket Monsters franchise were thinking by opening their presentation with a free smartphone...
And it's available now!
One of the quirkier titles to come from today's Pokémon Presents live stream was Pokémon Smile, a brand new app for children to enjoy while brushing their teeth. Yes, you've read all of that correctly, and no, it isn't April Fools' Day. The app hopes to provide "a fun toothbrushing experience" for children, giving them...
Pokémon Smile helps make toothbrushing a fun habit with Pokémon!
Turn toothbrushing into a fun and exciting adventure with Pokémon Smile! Players can partner up with some of their favorite Pokémon to defeat the cavity-causing bacteria and save captured Pokémon. Only by consistently brushing their teeth can they save all the Pokémon, earning the chance to catch them.
Thorough toothbrushing is the key to catching Pokémon!
Some unlucky Pokémon have been captured by the cavity-causing bacteria inside your mouth! By brushing your teeth, you can defeat these bacteria and save the Pokémon. If you do a great job brushing, you’ll be able to catch the Pokémon you save, too!
Completing your Pokédex, collecting Pokémon Caps—there are lots of ways to enjoy Pokémon Smile!
• Pokédex: More than 100 adorable Pokémon appear in Pokémon Smile. Build up a habit of brushing your teeth daily to catch them all and complete your Pokédex!
• Pokémon Caps: As you play, you’ll also unlock all kinds of Pokémon Caps—fun and unique hats you can “wear” while brushing!
Keep it up to become a Brushing Master!
Regularly brushing your teeth will earn you Brushing Awards. Collect all the Brushing Awards, and become a Brushing Master!
Decorate your favorite photos for fun!
While you brush, you can let the game snap a few photos of your great brushing in action. Choose your favorite shot and then have some fun decorating it with a variety of stickers! Keep brushing your teeth daily, and you’ll continue to collect more stickers you can use to decorate your photos.
Useful supervision features
• Toothbrushing guidance: Players will be guided through the toothbrushing process, helping them to brush all areas of their mouth.
• Notifications: Create up to three reminders a day to notify players when it’s time to brush!
• Duration: Choose how long each toothbrushing session should last: one, two, or three minutes. That way, the needs of users of all ages can be accommodated.
After each brushing session, you’ll also be able to pick up some helpful tips for how to brush the best you can, based on advice from dental professionals.
• This app is not intended to prevent or treat cavities, nor does it guarantee that players will gain a liking for toothbrushing or make it a habit.
• When Pokémon Smile is being played by a child, a parent or guardian should always be present and support the child in their toothbrushing to avoid accidents.