Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 7,161 to 7,180 of 15,210

Haru17

Therad wrote:

@Haru17 spaceships don't have to be aerodynamic, since they are traveling in vacuum.

Yeah, well this one was in-atmosphere, so don't be pedantic.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Tyranexx

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

WHAT IS IT!?

My thoughts on what it could be (some more sensible than others):
1. Aliens. Could this be the return of...Them?
2. Beedle has upgraded to a technological wonder of a merchant ship. I'm sure it beats all that pedaling from Skyward Sword.
3. Maybe a return of the Sandship (upgraded to fly) from SS? I wouldn't mind seeing those ancient robots and timeshift stones again.
4. Linebeck found an awesome new ship upgrade that allows flight.

As for the technology with medieval fantasy debate, I've never really had a problem with the "ancient advanced technology" concept since it's never been an overwhelming theme. The first occurrence I can think of are the Beamos found in ALttP.

I don't find the technology in BotW very intrusive so far since it's technically "old" technology. I kind of dig the dystopian vibes from it along with the natural aspects of the rest of the world.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

Lol I was tempted by that pedantry. Glad you took it for the team Therad.

As for what the thing could be......

Tingle's Air Fortress of Doom.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Gultigargar

What if it was actually a easter egg?

Just a unpopular thought.

My current N3DSXL FC: 2165-9800-0902

I'm not what to post, but something should pop up here eventually.

Haru17

Totallynot wrote:

What if it was actually a easter egg?

Just a unpopular thought.

But wouldn't it have to be a pretty elaborate easter egg given Breath's "See that mountain? You can go to it"-style marketing?

Haru17

Remember how I wanted horse parkour and to be able to leap from a horse onto higher ledges? Well the glider basically does that and more, so I'm pretty happy about that.

On a related note, that bullet time state initiated by pulling out a bow midair actually consumes stamina the longer it goes on.

Eel

Well yeah, controlling time and space gets tiring quickly.

Anyway, it would be funny if it ended up being Beedle's new emporium.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Hey guys? I just realized: Those seeds we planted in The Wind Waker? They're the Koroks we're seeing now. Mind freak.

Haru17

Meowpheel wrote:

The seeds were deku tree seeds.

My mistake. We weren't planting Korok seeds, we were watering Deku saplings. The individual Koroks did seem to be linked to particular Deku trees, though. Like grover tenders, perhaps?

Korok Seeds are what the Koroks give you in Breath of the Wild.

Dezzy

I really hope there are areas you can only access via boulder-driven seesaw.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

Tsurii wrote:

They were just ordinary trees..well, compared to the Deku tree at least.
I'm pretty sure the Kokiri didn't age/die, no reason why the Koroks in BotW can't be the same ones as in Wind Waker. Without actually playing the game and/or having someone talk about that stuff we can't tell for sure tho. Obviously.

... Ordinary trees with faces and feelings.

(Also ww features a dead kokiri, he was killed though, so who knows if they can die of old age)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

#JustOrdinaryTreeThings

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

DonkeyKongJump

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

WHAT IS IT!?

I've been thinking, perhaps it's more like a fantasy airship like in the early Final Fantasy games.

Untitled

That would be a lot more sense in Zelda's setting than an unfitting sci-fi space ship.

Untitled

Edited on by DonkeyKongJump

DonkeyKongJump

Grumblevolcano

TheSuperStarSaga wrote:

Yeah, there's been some technology here and there in the past. It never really caught my attention in the past since it was in the background. But this game seems to make technology to be a prominent theme. If it was balanced out with more medieval fantasy elements I might be able to stomach it more. Like, based on what we've seen thus far, there is more technology than magic.

If Zelda had gone with the original computer chip story from day one, this wouldn't bother me at all. But because the series had established its setting as medieval fantasy, now that it's going futuristic, I fear that it's losing a large part of it's essence in the processes. Places like the magical forests or the castle town won't be the same with robots running around.

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

If that thing really is a spaceship as some speculate, where do we draw the line? How far is too far? Link driving a car instead of riding a horse? Link using a laser gun instead of a bow and arrow? That's not Zelda to me :/

For completing a certain number of shrines, the Mercedes GLA from MK8 becomes an alternative to Epona and for completing all of them you get the Master Cycle

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

The more technology, the better I say. If they're going to truly change how we think about Zelda games, that'll be a good way to go about it. Thematically, at least. I honestly wouldn't mind, in the far future I guess, a Zelda with advanced technology as it's main idea. A story that takes place in a far future of hyrule.

TuVictus

EOTW

So does anyone know who wrote the music for this game? Is it still Koji Kondo? The style is just so different from his usual work that I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone else helping out.

Main theme for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZ8P4Tdm8g

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

DonkeyKongJump

Operative wrote:

The more technology, the better I say. If they're going to truly change how we think about Zelda games, that'll be a good way to go about it. Thematically, at least. I honestly wouldn't mind, in the far future I guess, a Zelda with advanced technology as it's main idea. A story that takes place in a far future of hyrule.

What's the benefit of making Zelda futuristic though? I respect your opinion and I know it's a popular opinion, but I'm curious as to what the appeal is.

If Metroid's next game set in a medieval fantasy land where Samus used a bow and arrow, I'd imagine the fans would be upset. Or if Halo turned into a cop drama set in the 1940s, it would loose it's identity. Part of what fans like about series, is the world that the series creates and established. Zelda has established itself as a world of magical forests, castles, elves (hylians) and I could go on and on. That world is what Zelda is to me. To change that so radically by making it sci-fi, doesn't seem like Zelda anymore. Thankfully, while Breath of the Wild has introduced some advanced technology, it hasn't crossed the line completely (from what we've seen thus far). There are still castles, forests, swords, and magic, etc. If Zelda crossed the line, it would lose a lot of it's iconic elements. Epona would be a space pod, the bow and arrow would be a laser gun. At that point Zelda would lose its essence in my opinion. Link using a laser gun is the same as Samus using a 1920s tommy gun. I don't see the reason for it, and it's unfitting to the setting. What amount of good does it bring that outweighs the series losing its established identity?

People like Metroid for being sci-fi. People like Zelda for being fantasy. I get that change offers new things, but changing genre is really radical. If we all like Zelda for what it is, why do we want to change it's genre and setting? New lands and unique places can still be created Zelda universe without resorting to making it futuristic. I know games like Final Fantasy have changed genre, but having done it early on makes it easier. It's been established that each Final Fantasy game is it's own separate universe. Zelda isn't quite like that. If turning Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, or Lord of the Rings into a futuristic sci-fi wouldn't make sense, then why would Zelda? A bit of high tech stuff here in there is fine, but there is a line Zelda shouldn't cross if it wants to retain it's identity. From what we've seen of Breath of the Wild, I think it's nudged that line but hasn't crossed it, as such, I'm looking forward to the game.

I respect your viewpoint, but I don't really understand why such a radical change is warranted.

Update: I'm just going to update my post here. I don't want to make more posts since I can tell that I'm annoying people with this discussion, also I don't want to throw the discussion off topic. I do not wish to annoy anyone.

Tsurii wrote:

@TheSuperStarSaga Metroid is a sci-fi series (well..more sci-fi than stuff like Star Wars anyway) while Zelda has always had these technological things. I feel like I posted a wall of text about this in this thread just recently tho, so I don't really feel like doing that again so soon.

Just accept that Zelda is not your traditional fantasy/medieval setting. It's always been this mix of magic and (fantastical) technology.

Zelda is just as much of a fantasy series as Elder Scrolls, Lord of the Rings, or Dark Souls. The setting of Zelda, Hyrule, is a medieval inspired kingdom for pete's sake. Hyrule is a kingdom filled with armored knights (Castle Guards, Soldiers and Darknuts), magical wizards (Wizzrobes), wood elves (Korkiri), elves (Hylians), dragons (Argorok, Volvagia), castles (Hyrule Castle, Lorule Castle), kings and princesses (Daltus, Daphness, Tuft, Zelda), blacksmiths (Link's Uncle, Link's Grandfather, The Smith family), horseback riding with jousting (Epona, the Eldin Bridge fight against King Bulblin), fairies (Navi, Great fairies), and orcs/goblins (Bulblins, Moblins). The gameplay itself is centered around medieval combat. Link uses a sword and shield (medieval weapons) to fight against enemies, he also uses a bow and arrow (medieval weapon) against enemies as well. He comes across items such as the ball and chain (medieval weapon) and magical wands and staffs (dominion rod, cane of pacci, ice rod, fire rod). I could go on and on.

You're right there has been advanced tech here and there, but that stuff has always been in the background, and never really in the forefront. The high tech elements pale in comparison to the staple fantasy elements in Zelda. A mix would imply it's 50/50. Zelda is more so 90% medieval fantasy with 10% being the odd advanced tech here and there. The small amounts of technology in the past shouldn't negate Zelda of its genre.

Does this really seem like a world where futuristic stuff is fitting?
Untitled

Only recently with games like Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, advanced tech has become a lot more prominent and numerous with ancient robots. Fortunately, neither have crossed the line completely, and Hyrule still remains a land of swords and shields in Breath of the Wild. The day Link uses a laser gun instead of a bow and arrow, is the day Zelda stops being Zelda.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Operative wrote:

If they're going to truly change how we think about Zelda games, that'll be a good way to go about it.

That would be a terrible way to go about it. Why would we want to change how think about Zelda in the way of genre? That would completely kill Zelda's identity. When we think of Metroid, we think of a cosmic sci fi setting, and that's what makes metroid what it is. When we think of Zelda, we think of a medieval fantasy setting, that's what makes Zelda what it is.

To change Zelda's to the point where it's genre changes, will result in an identity crisis. Zelda wouldn't be Zelda. That would be like wanting to change the way we think of Star Wars, so future Star Wars films/games/media is set as a crime drama in the 1940s on earth, that's not Star Wars anymore.

Edited on by DonkeyKongJump

DonkeyKongJump

Haru17

In a definitely not transparent attempt to steer the conversation, he said:

How do you think the horse will affect the narrative?

Shahinshah

EOTW wrote:

So does anyone know who wrote the music for this game? Is it still Koji Kondo? The style is just so different from his usual work that I wouldn't be surprised if they have someone else helping out.

Main theme for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZ8P4Tdm8g

Actually have the same question! there is no official info about it

Shahinshah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic