Forums

Topic: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise from your grave, Wii U

Posts 161 to 180 of 188

shingi_70

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Tsuchinoko

Those are better numbers than I expected. We've been having a lot more aggressive advertising for the Wii U here in Japan, and more and more I hear people talking about it.
I was having lunch on my break from work at a Chinese restaurant (Baamiyan, a famous chain) and I overheard a mum and dad talking about buying a Wii U for their kids and what games their kids would like. There's more public awareness of it now compared to when it first came out.
For older gamers, the Monster Hunter Frontier series came to the Wii U this month. I think that will bring some people over to finally buying one. I do think that would attract western gamers over if the Frontier series was ever sold outside of Japan. I know some people don't like that MH4 is exclusive to a handheld, and this game caters to those people.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

skywake

It helps that the PS4 isn't out in Japan yet. It's crazy to think how well the PS4 is doing globally so far given that it's supply constrained and hasn't launched in Japan yet. Good thing for both Sony and Nintendo that it's not out globally yet.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

CanisWolfred wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@Klimbatize

Why do you have to be like that? I clearly stated it's only an anecdote and therefore means nothing factually, but I just wanted to share it with other Nintendo fans. So again ... why be like that?

But why do you feel the need to share it here, unless you're trying to say that your anecdotal evidence has some weight? This isn't the "I saw someone buy a Wii U" Thread, this is a thread about how the Wii U is doing overall. And if you really feel it means nothing, then why share it at all? Then all you're doing is wasting your time, along with everyone else's. :/

... @CanisWolfred

You've gotta be kidding me. It's an online forum - an online "community," many would say. Lots of us know each other by posting names and have discussed lots of topics under the sun. I was just sharing a little story. I apologize that apparently that offended you so much that you decided to waste a few minutes of your life typing out that reply. I'll refrain from such actions in the future. Happy holidays, my friend.

rallydefault

SCRAPPER392

I saw a bunch of people interested in Wii U when I went shopping over this holiday. The PS4 controller at Best Buy is already busted, but the GamePad still works. It's the same scenario for PS Vita "vs." 3DS. The PS Vita is usually frozen, trying to run Knytt Underground.

/more anecdotal evidence

It doesn't really matter, though. People who want whatever won't change their mind. Even if PS Vita had half the games it does know, there would still be those people that would buy it over 3DS anyway. I don't get why people have to be so critical of ultimately different products. PS Vita would probably be doing better if it had 3DS ports on it, though. That's what I would be trying to make happen if I was Sony, honestly. There's no shame in having a port. Sometimes ports are better than nothing(more than something, in this case).

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

moomoo

SCAR392 wrote:

It doesn't really matter, though. People who want whatever won't change their mind. Even if PS Vita had half the games it does know, there would still be those people that would buy it over 3DS anyway. I don't get why people have to be so critical of ultimately different products. PS Vita would probably be doing better if it had 3DS ports on it, though. That's what I would be trying to make happen if I was Sony, honestly. There's no shame in having a port. Sometimes ports are better than nothing(more than something, in this case).

Especially when those ports are from a little series called Monster Hunter.

Seriously, they should just try to get MH Ultimate and 4 on the Vita too. Suddenly competition would be a lot tighter in Japan.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

skywake

SCAR392 wrote:

I saw a bunch of people interested in Wii U when I went shopping over this holiday. The PS4 controller at Best Buy is already busted, but the GamePad still works. It's the same scenario for PS Vita "vs." 3DS. The PS Vita is usually frozen, trying to run Knytt Underground.

To be fair one of the 3DS XLs that's at a store near me has been through the wars. Someone's ripped off the circle pad and 3D slider looks like it's been attacked with a cigarette lighter. Still works but so maybe that's a good advertisement for durability. Although that said I haven't seen any Vita demo units in a long, long time. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for them but they're definitely nowhere near as prominent as the 3DS ones or even the Wii U ones for that matter.

Edited on by skywake

SCRAPPER392

@moomoo
Maybe. Even if said 3DS ports to PS Vita weren't enhanced in anyway, it would still give more titles for PS Vita to have. The best example I have of similar titles on each system, is Batman and Sonic Racing. It show that Nintendo and Sony's portables can have their own multiplats.

WB could have put Injustice or MK on 3DS, too.

I think the problem with that, is that 3rd parties would want the systems to be able to have cross platform multiplayer. Since 3DS has a bigger install base, it's easier to keep things exclusive when there's only one other system available. There's less incentive for PS Vita owners to buy a PS Vita game if 3DS has a larger online communtiy and such. Streetpass is used(Near for Vita), better SD card memory option, it has Miiverse, and it has a larger install base. It would probably be a hard sell to get anything different than what 3DS is doing, which is why multiplats could be beneficial.

Honestly, it's quite the same situation that Wii U has on it's hands, except it's technically in reverse, as far as I can tell.

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

skywake wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

To be fair one of the 3DS XLs that's at a store near me has been through the wars. Someone's ripped off the circle pad and 3D slider looks like it's been attacked with a cigarette lighter. Still works but so maybe that's a good advertisement for durability. Although that said I haven't seen any Vita demo units in a long, long time. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for them but they're definitely nowhere near as prominent as the 3DS ones or even the Wii U ones for that matter.

I think the cord just got pulled too hard and the controller doesn't have any batteries. The PS Vita was right next to it and working, but that's pretty rare. The store would be pretty pissed if someone broke something on purpose(obviously), but the cord was just too damn short. When I tried to pick up the controller, it was basically already at the end of the cord, so I tugged it, but I could tell it was broken far long before I got there.

Nintendo has a better kiosk setup IMO(especially cord wise. it's like a bungie), and less people are inclined to purposely damage things like the screen, because it would be hard not to notice that the screen is broken.

I don't know why people like to break stuff, but whatever. The PS Vitas are probably frozen because no one ever updates them.

Qwest

Gamer83

skywake wrote:

It helps that the PS4 isn't out in Japan yet. It's crazy to think how well the PS4 is doing globally so far given that it's supply constrained and hasn't launched in Japan yet. Good thing for both Sony and Nintendo that it's not out globally yet.

Sony needs to hope it keeps the momentum in NA and EU, though, because I honestly think PS4 is going to sell like sh*t in Japan. Look at the terrible Vita sales. If you can't sell a handheld system in Japan, the center of handheld gaming, you can't be expected to compete with a high-priced home console.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

skywake

Gamer83 wrote:

Sony needs to hope it keeps the momentum in NA and EU, though, because I honestly think PS4 is going to sell like sh*t in Japan. Look at the terrible Vita sales. If you can't sell a handheld system in Japan, the center of handheld gaming, you can't be expected to compete with a high-priced home console.

Actually the Vita is doing better in Japan than it is in NA and EU in terms of raw sales and market share. It's still pretty average and it is getting slaughtered by the 3DS but it's doing better there than it is everywhere else. If your argument was to make any sense it would be NA and EU where Sony is less likely to sell PS4s. Seems like that's not happening.

More likely the Vita isn't selling well in Japan because the Vita isn't selling well anywhere. How the PS4 does is obviously not determined by Vita performance because if it was the PS4 wouldn't be doing as well as it is now. They're two different devices, same as it is with Wii U and 3DS.

Edited on by skywake

Gamer83

skywake wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Actually the Vita is doing better in Japan than it is in NA and EU in terms of raw sales and market share. It's still pretty average and it is getting slaughtered by the 3DS but it's doing better there than it is everywhere else. If your argument was to make any sense it would be NA and EU where Sony is less likely to sell PS4s. Seems like that's not happening.

More likely the Vita isn't selling well in Japan because the Vita isn't selling well anywhere. How the PS4 does is obviously not determined by Vita performance because if it was the PS4 wouldn't be doing as well as it is now. They're two different devices, same as it is with Wii U and 3DS.

We'll see what happens. From what I've seen and what I've heard from friends who have lived in Japan, handhelds are far more popular over there so I just figure if Sony is having trouble moving Vitas off the shelves, despite the fact the system has a strong library, then it's likely that its home console would struggle even more but maybe Sony will be able to find a way to put together a Japanese PS4 lineup that can appeal greatly to that audience. I have the PS4 so I definitely want to see it sell well. Better the sales, better the third party support and overall game library.

Gamer83

skywake

Gamer83 wrote:

We'll see what happens. From what I've seen and what I've heard from friends who have lived in Japan, handhelds are far more popular over there so I just figure if Sony is having trouble moving Vitas off the shelves, despite the fact the system has a strong library, then it's likely that its home console would struggle even more but maybe Sony will be able to find a way to put together a Japanese PS4 lineup that can appeal greatly to that audience. I have the PS4 so I definitely want to see it sell well. Better the sales, better the third party support and overall game library.

Sony has always had a stronger presence in Japan than it has elsewhere, the Vita isn't an exception to that rule it's just a poorly performing platform across the board. Yes portables are more popular in Japan but it was still a healthy ~12% chunk of Sony's total sales for the PS3 last gen.

I would be fairly surprised if given how well the PS4 has done in other regions that the PS4 didn't move a million in the first couple of months in Japan.

Socar

First off, I think the PS4 will win this current gen for two reasons.

1.Graphics even though it really to me at least doesn't look like next gen.

2.Lots of third party support.

I will say right now that as technology has advanced, third parties are becoming more and more lazy into making great games and I honestly think Nintendo does this limitation gimmicky thing just so devs can be very creative and can make great games. Sonic Colors proved how appealing the Wii can really be despite it having low res especially Galaxy series.

Vita may do well in Japan, but 4 million units in two years looks really underwhelming. Its even worse than Gamecube and If I recall, PSP sold around 78 million units almost even close to beating GBA(Love it don't care what you say about it. I WANT GBA on Eshop!) which is around 81 million units.

The only thing I can agree that the Wii U lacks is more games and that's all.

So Nintendo has made a competition of whoever can make a pitch as to why to get a Wii U, they not only win a Wii U but they also win 3D world, Wind Waker HD, Wii Fit U and Wii sports club or something like that. Wonder what pitch will Nintendo pick for their adds......

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

shingi_70

Don't forget Sony's own first party studios Knack is the main reason why the PS4 is selling like hotcakes.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Socar

shingi_70 wrote:

Don't forget Sony's own first party studios Knack is the main reason why the PS4 is selling like hotcakes.

Does this even count? The reason why Sony ever made this was to demonstrate how powerful the PS4 is. If that's the case, why not give the game for free? It won't hurt plus gamers won't even bother because they didn't spend like 60$ for a game that is mediocre at best.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

shingi_70

I was joking about Knack, its a okay game but not nothing to write home about. But on a whole Sony Worldwide Studios are a big reason why people are getting both the PS4 and the Vita.

WAT!

pntjr

Wait for the PS4 and Knack to release in Japan. Things will change.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

Blast

@shingi_70 Its more like the PS4 is doing so well and will continue to do so well because of the cheaper price, the promise of great games in the future, and brand loyalty. Sony also treats their fanbase incredibly well sometimes.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.