Forums

Topic: Feeling sad about Wii U, but also loving it very much

Posts 101 to 120 of 164

TheCurator

I don't have buy yet the Pro Controller for the U but I may get it next month or so.

Wii U Owner!
Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 14-Inch HD Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB DDR3 248GB SSD OS Windows 10 Pro

MaseSco

deniro444 wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Me too! Honestly I would have to rank the pro controller my favorite!

I completely agree.
Also, the Wii U Pro Controller uses a 3DS battery so you'll get up to 80 hours between charging times.

MaseSco

RenderSpotlight

Wii U Pro controller is easily my favorite dual analog controller. Its only drawback is the lack of motion control. If it had motion controls, IMO it would be the best controller out there.
Although I do not mind the Switch Pro controller, I much prefer the symmetric layout instead of the offset layout. I prefer my thumb rolling down to the XYAB buttons while the controller is above the buttons instead of rolling my thumb up when the thumb stick is below on the side.

Anyway, the battery cannot be beat. It really has crazy battery life. I wish it had the option to use a cord to transfer data.

RenderSpotlight

SuperLuigi111

MaseSco wrote:

deniro444 wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Me too! Honestly I would have to rank the pro controller my favorite!

I completely agree.
Also, the Wii U Pro Controller uses a 3DS battery so you'll get up to 80 hours between charging times.

Wow, that will be nice. The Gamepad has such bad battery life. Is it possible to play Wii Games or Wii U Games w/ pro controller without having the Gamepad on?

SuperLuigi111

Grumblevolcano

@SuperLuigi111 Outside of a few digital Wii games like Xenoblade Chronicles where you can play on the Gamepad, Wii games (the entirety of Wii mode and most digital Wii games) require Wii controllers. Some Wii U games you can use the Pro controller and others you have to use the Gamepad.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FireMario887

A real shame, because my Wii U is pretty well out of comission. The cords are all busted and the controllers are starting to question their stature as tools for mankind's entertainment and start a technological retaliation (in form of the controls not cooperating). A shame to put my old Wii U to rest, but the memories still thrive. Countless goes at the many, fun levels in Mario 3D World. Being able to experience my favorite Zelda, Twilight Princess, in HD. Having access to practically every Metroid-- Played Fusion for the first time and got to replay the Prime Trilogy. Even Sonic Lost World managed to entertain despite the atrocity that is the game's level design. I adore the Switch and the games I have it on so far, but it's going to a lot to compare to the memories I have with the Wii U.

FireMario887

SuperLuigi111

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Outside of a few digital Wii games like Xenoblade Chronicles where you can play on the Gamepad, Wii games (the entirety of Wii mode and most digital Wii games) require Wii controllers. Some Wii U games you can use the Pro controller and others you have to use the Gamepad.

That's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is whether it's possible to play Wii Games with the Wii controller without having to have the Gamepad on too, even if it's not in use. Or Wii U Games with just the pro controller. So far, when I have tried these things the Gamepad remains on even when not in use.

SuperLuigi111

gcunit

@SuperLuigi111 Yes, it's possible, and should be easy, if you pay attention.

When you select the Wii mode from the Wii U's menu, a screen pops up on the TV asking whether you want to display on the TV & Gamepad or just the TV. Conversely, if you want to display only on the Wii U gamepad you press + on the Wii remote. Something like that anyway.

And if you want the gamepad off when playing a Wii U game, hit the home button and go to controller settings and you can turn it off there. But I don't think Pro controller is compatible with all games.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

RenderSpotlight

After holding both the GamePad (495 grams) and the Switch (416 grams), I can honestly say I prefer holding the GamePad for any length of time. They are close enough in weight that a few grams is negligible.
But the GamePad's holding ergonomics is far superior. That ridge that runs along the back gives my middle fingers something to balance and push against. Those grips are exactly in the right place for my middle, ring, and pinky finger to grip. My pointer finger sits atop the ridge for the triggers opposite my middle finger as the perfect balance. And the symmetric layout of the sticks and buttons are ideal.

The Switch is lacking almost all of that. When I pick up the switch I am always trying to find something to grip in the back. It is just too flat. The pointer finger can rest on the triggers just fine, but without the ridge for a counter balance, it feels like I am pushing opposite the whole Switch instead of just the triggers. And the offset nature of the right controller is just not ideal. What they gain in screen quality and portability, the lose in ergonomics.

I would love to shove the Switch into my GamePad.

RenderSpotlight

Cobalt

@Hikingguy

It's EXACTLY my feeling ! I already said that and a bunch of "Switch fanatics" were complaining that I was a troll, a guy who brings negativity etc...

The truth is that honest people talk real. Period !

Yes, the ergonomy of the Wii U is far better than the one of the Switch and I have no problem to say that I could stay long playing on my Wii U while I feel not confortable for long sessions on my Switch.

Cobalt

RenderSpotlight

@Cobalt After reading many of your posts, it is obvious to me that you are not a troll. Far from it.

I have spent countless hours with the Wii U's GamePad and more than enough time with the undocked Switch and unless someone has ultra tiny hands, I would seriously question anyone's claim they have spent any serious time with a GamePad and yet believes that the Switch is more ergonomic than the GamePad. Even though the Switch is physically smaller in size and slightly lighter than the GamePad, the extra roundness, weight distribution, and the controller and button layout of the GamePad make it far easier and more comfortable to hold for any length of time.

There is a reason there are so many of those after market grips for the Switch. All of those devices attempt to make the Switch feel more like the GamePad, but it is not quite the same.

Even though I have owned all Nintendo's handhelds over the years, I do prefer playing video games on a TV. And the Switch is no exception. But after being spoiled with how a "big" controller can feel like in hand, the Switch's ergonomics do not encourage me to take it out of the dock. The portable option is appreciated, but the lack of comfort compared to the GamePad makes me want to keep it in the dock.

The Switch does so many things right. But ergonomics is not one of them. I guess if someone has never used the GamePad they have no idea what they are missing.

RenderSpotlight

Sculptor

Well that's the entire point. The GamePad never has to leave the house like the Switch does, so it didn't have to be as thin, compact and sleek as possible. Better ergonomics were favoured instead. The result is a device that looks fat compared to the compact Switch — but is a lot nicer to hold.

Sculptor

RenderSpotlight

If I am required to hold a device I would much prefer it to be comfortable. Otherwise, just like the 3DS, no matter how much I enjoy the games, if it is not comfortable to hold, I will not use it. If I could have easily "docked" the 3DS, I am sure I would have used it more.

Therefore I am thankful that the Switch is a hybrid.

I guess I find it no surprise that the only Nintendo handheld video game console that I enjoyed holding was the first GBA.

RenderSpotlight

Cobalt

@Hikingguy

Gosh, we share again the same point of view !

And I would like to add, that I talk about the GBA, not the GBA SP.
The SP was a regression for me in term of ergonomy...

Cobalt

RenderSpotlight

@Cobalt Yes, exactly. Although the lit screen of the SP was nice and was exactly what I wanted on the original GBA, the physical change in design was not appealing to me. I thought the square thing was really ugly and felt awful. So I kept on using my original GBA, always wishing it had a lit screen. I ended up getting a DS at some point. Although I still thought the GBA felt better in my hand, the landscape DS was better than the portrait GBA SP.
Even when I was younger, no matter how much I wanted to enjoy my Gameboy, I just did not like the design of the case.

I think Nintendo could keep the portability and still design the Switch to be more comfortable for longer playing sessions. But I guess Nintendo would have to change up the dock and get rid of the Joy-Con design as it is currently implemented. As I rarely use the joy-cons anyway, I would not mind a more ergonomic design.
But since I primarily use the Switch docked, I am not sure I would buy another Switch at this time just because they changed the design. I would just keep not using it in portable mode.

But my family still uses the Wii U as much as the Switch. I mean, my daughter is using the Wii U right now and typically uses it about the same as her Switch and 3DS combined. My wife is about the same, 65/35 (WiiU/Switch) As the Wii U still does more things than the Switch: ie, the Switch only has Hulu but the Wii U has Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and Hulu plus other games she likes. But she likes playing her Splatoon 2 with all of us.
Me, it is about 50/50. All the new games are coming to the Switch, but I have so many games that I still enjoy or have yet to play on the Wii U. But lately I think I spend more time reading about video games than I do playing them. When my son passed a way, I kind of went into a video game lull as my video game buddy was no longer here.

I guess I prefer ergonomics vs portability. As historically I have found that I just will not use a devise if I do not find it comfortable.

RenderSpotlight

Cobalt

@Hikingguy

Man, what you wrote at the end of your post... I"m speechless... My sincere condolences man...

Cobalt

RenderSpotlight

@Cobalt Thank you.
I really try not to bring it up too much because I know most people have no idea what to say. Heck, I have been through it and I am not sure I would know what to say to someone else in a similar situation. So I only bring it up when it seems appropriate for the conversation. But he is especially on my mind today, not only because the Wii U was his favorite console, but because yesterday was the day he passed away 2 years ago.

But no worries, all is good. We miss him a lot and have great memories. He was the kind of guy any dad would be proud of.

RenderSpotlight

Sculptor

Condolences. ☹️

Sculptor

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.