Forums

Topic: Your Most Anticipated Games of 2017

Posts 1 to 20 of 34

Peek-a-boo

Now that 2016 is coming to an end, and after a most unpredictable year in the real world too, I got thinking about next year in terms of games and what there is to look forward to.

Obviously the Nintendo Switch will be the big gaming news in 2017, given that it'll be the first time that Nintendo shall be able to put all of their eggs into one basket, rather than both a home and handheld system.

For me, I am just chuffed to bits that I will be able to play Breath of the Wild on my Wii U! A fitting swan song indeed, just like Skyward Sword was for my Wii five years ago.

Given that this part of Nintendo Life is mostly about 'other consoles', I shall list first party exclusives, console exclusives (that may also be on PC) and a separate list of multi-format games!

I simply went through Wikipedia and stumbled upon a list of games for those that have a '2017' release date, which is why you won't be seeing the likes of Final Fantasy VII Remake, God of War, Kingdom Hearts III, The Last of Us Part II, Spider-Man and the usual - but inevitable - trio of the next Forza, Gears and Halo.

Also, I may not personally own an Xbox One myself however, I found it quite difficult to expand upon the surprisingly small list that's already jotted down. Any help would be welcome!

PlayStation 4

• Ace Combat 7
  • Berserk Musou (and the Band of the Hawk)
  • Cosmic Star Heroine (inspired by Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star & Suikoden)
  • Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy
  • Danganronpa 1•2 Reload
  • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
  • Digimon World: Next Order
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Dynasty Warriors: Godseeker
  • Earth Defence Force 5
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Full Throttle Remastered
  • GNOG
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
  • Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
  • Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue (who comes up with these names?!)
  • Knack 2
  • Knights and Bikes
  • LocoRoco Remastered
  • Matterfall (from the creators of Resogun and Alienation)
  • MLB The Show 17
  • Musou ☆ Stars
  • New Hot Shots Golf (or Everybody's Golf as it is known in Europe)
  • Nex Machina (a spiritual celebration of sorts to Robotron and Smash TV)
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  • NieR: Automata
  • Night in the Woods
  • Nioh
  • PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
  • Patapon Remastered
  • Persona 5
  • Pyre (from the creators of Bastian and Transistor)
  • Rain World
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Shenmue III
  • The Silver Case
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Valkyria: Azure Revolution
  • Vane (looked really intriguing at the PlayStation Experience)
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Windjammers (ooh yes!)
  • WipEout Omega Collection
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Ys Origin

Xbox One

• Ashen
  • Below
  • Crackdown 3
  • Cuphead
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Scalebound
  • Sea of Thieves
  • State of Decay 2
  • Tacoma (from the developers of 'Gone Home')
  • Voodoo Vince Remastered

Multi-format

• Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
  • Destiny II
  • For Honor (or 'Honour', for those who speak English)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: A Telltale Series
  • Injustice 2
  • LEGO Worlds
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • Outlast II
  • Prey
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Sonic Mania
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Tekken 7
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera (the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment)
  • Vampyr (from the developers of 'Life is Strange')
  • Yooka-Laylee

________________________________________________________________________________________________

PHEW... I could have added a few more little-known indie games, but I think that's the main bulk of things.

I'll compose my own list later, as it's nigh on time for me to go to work now!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Outside of Zelda? It'd have to be Gravity Rush 2. I really dug the unique gameplay and pretty well-executed anime story (for an incomplete game) of the first one. I'm way looking forward to how they wrap it up.

Then there's Nier: Automata. Female protagonist, melee action combat, interesting directorial decisions, Clover's first attempt at a new story in forever — I'm pumped.

And finally, an Easy Allies podcast got me really hyped on Persona 5's story. Apparently the PSX demo was quite good. I hope to see some innovative themes and sharp critiques from that game — the AAA space sorely needs it after The Last of Us all the way back in 2013.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

...That's a lot. Let me see if I can stick to a top 10, for sanity's sake:

Gravity Rush 2
Tekken 7
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Etrian Odyssey V
Persona 5
Yooka-Laylee
Tokyo Xanadu
Atelier Firis
Nier: Automota
Ever Oasis
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Shinion

Neogaf were debating delaying this on their site until after the Switch event for obvious reasons, but then that would've affected January games like Resident Evil 7, and they decided that it's better to do it now. For me as someone not really interested in the Switch I'm instead looking forward to:

1. Zelda
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Yooka-Laylee
5. Ni No Kuni 2
6. Dragon Quest VIII
7. Sea of Thieves
8. Scalebound
9. Persona 5
10. Nioh.

A few of those are new IP or series I've not played before so they could go either way but I'm very confident in the higher ones there. Should be a good year.

Shinion

Vinny

Lady Layton.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Luna_110

At the moment, its Zelda. The rest depends on what Nintendo announces at the January presentation

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Buizel

Depending on what it launches with, I can see myself mostly playing the Switch next year. However, based on confirmed titles:

Breath of the Wild - it's been a while since we had a brand new 3D Zelda and this looks great. I'll probably pick it up for the Switch.

Ni No Kuni 2 - the original was a great mix of traditional JRPG, real-time battles, monster collecting and Studio Ghibli charm. I really hope the appeal lasts with this one.

Project Sonic 2017 and Sonic Mania - as a big Sonic fan I've got to try these out. Sonic Mania looks like the Saturn 2D Sonic that we never got, and Project Sonic 2017 could potentially be a worthy follow-up to Sonic Generations, my favourite 3D Sonic game.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 HD Remix and Final Fantasy XII - I never had a PS2 so this will be a great opportunity to play these games (although I did play Kingdom Hearts 1 on the PS3!)

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - the Stick of Truth will be a tough act to follow, but if they can make the story as engaging and humourous as before I'm in. I'm sure the gameplay can only get better as well.

Digimon World: Next Order - I know very little about this one, but I loved Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth earlier this year.

At least 2'8".

6ch6ris6

so far no game really interests me. red dead redemption 2 would but i havent been able to play the first one yet. it also needs to come out for pc, but i guess it wont.

let's see what nintendo will release for the switch in 2017.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ralizah

Putting aside the inevitable new Switch titles I'll want after Nintendo announces them...

1) Persona 5 (I've been following news about this game religiously since it was announced in 2013. It looks and sounds utterly brilliant. If I could only play one game next year, this would be it.)

2) Gravity Rush 2 (My favorite action-adventure-platformer-Superman-sim-thing is getting a gorgeous, big budget sequel. You had better believe I'll be there day one!)

3) Danganronpa V3 (I'm a bit anxious about the new narrative direction the series is taking, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want front row seats regardless. I just hope it's well-optimized for the Vita, as I really don't want to play it on a home console.)

4) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Exactly the sort of big ambitious title that I buy Nintendo consoles for. If Nintendo knocks this out of the park, this could be as transformative to the series as A Link to the Past was so many years ago.)

5) Etrian Odyssey V (The release of an entry in the main EO series is always an excuse for excitement and weeks upon weeks of feverish dungeon-crawling.)

6) Lady Layton (Another title I'm a bit anxious about, but with Professor Layton being one of my favorite series, I'm still more than a little excited about it.)

7) Yooka-Laylee (A modern take on N64-era collectathon platformer? Yes, please!)

8) Yakuza 0 (This will be my first experience with the series. I'm looking forward to it.)

9) Cuphead (Absolutely gorgeous art design, from the trailers and sneak peeks. I can't wait to try this out.)

10) Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy (It's nice to see one of the icons of early Playstation history returning.)

2017 is going to be brilliant year for video games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Joeynator3000

...I thought it was 2017 for some reason, I just woke up. lol
Aside from Zelda, I guess Yooka-Layleee. Although I didn't enjoy MH Generations as much as MH4U, I'm still wanting to see how MH XX turns out.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

veeflames

Ok, here goes... in no particular order:
1. Lady Layton: A new game in an awesome series. Sure, the professor is taking a bit of a break in this game, but I'll gladly accept more (frustrating) puzzle-solving action and a oh-so captivating storyline.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: This one is pretty self-explanatory. You could as well just name it Wind Waker + Ocarina of Time 2. Hoping to make this a day one purchase on Wii U and/or Switch.
3. Yooka Laylee: Adventure - Platformers have always been my kind of game, and here we have a gorgeous looking game that fills that spot for me. Today's news is a huge bummer (I was really looking forward to playing this in the Wii U), but I'm just gonna shrug it off and get it on another console. Also making this a day one purchase.
4. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy: More or less the same thing as the original classics, but I'm pretty sure my brothers and I will still have a blast with the upcoming trilogy.
5. Resident Evil 7: I'm planning to pick up this game in the hopes that it'll be as revolutionary as Revelations. We'll see what happens, but I got to finish Resident Evil 5 and Revelations 2 (the first two episodes), though.
6. The Nintendo Switch: A new console from my favorite video gaming company. I mean, c'mon. Most of what I've seen so far is very pleasing, and if they keep up the momentum come January 12 then Nintendo may just see me waltzing to my local game store in or around March. All it takes is a new Mario game, Nintendo. You can do it.
(I'm exaggerating. But you get the point)
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Sonic 2017 game and Sonic Mania. Those two are definitely on my wishlist.
Well, that should be about it right now regarding 2017. Of course, new games are going to be announced so I expect 2017 to be another fantastic year of gaming for me.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Octane

In no particular order:

Gravity Rush 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
NieR: Automata
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (if that's a 2017 game)
Days Gone (same...)

Some indie stuff; Vane, GNOG, Night in the Woods, RIME (can we hope?), Hob (looks decent actually) and What Remains of Edith Finch. No Hyper Light Drifter or The Witness anticipation levels for the upcoming indies yet. Not even for Yooka-Laylee, I'll play it, but I'm can't get hyped for it unfortunately. Looks decent, but it's also missing something..

Anyway, pretty short list, but I don't know what the Switch will bring us. Maybe I'll pick up Ni No Kuni or Nioh, or maybe even Knack 2 for good laughs.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@6ch6ris6 Not to have a grump or anything, but out of that 80+ list, barring Red Dead Redemption 2 (which in all likelihood won't come out for PC), there's nothing that interests you?

A tough customer indeed!

My list may well be considered 'safe and boring', but I know what kind of games I like.

01) Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf/Minna No Golf)
02) Gran Turismo Sport
03) Gravity Rush 2
04) Horizon Zero Dawn
05) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
06) Nioh
07) PaRappa The Rapper Remastered
08) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
09) What Remains of Edith Finch
10) WipEout Omega Collection

I am also looking forward to playing Knights and Bikes, Night in the Woods, Shenmue III (they say they are aiming for 2017...) and Yooka-Laylee after helping to fund those four different games on Kickstarter!

It's going to be a really good year for games. I can just feel it in my bones.

Peek-a-boo

6ch6ris6

@Peek-a-boo well i am not interested in remasters so half of the games coming out is not for me lol

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

LzWinky

Wii U games of course!!

In all seriousness, aside from Switch launch:

3DS:

Dragon Quest VIII
Ever Oasis
Lady Layton

PS4

Final Fantasy XII
Ni No Kuni 2
South Park: Fractured but Whole

And uh...other stuff I'm sure.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

Vee_Flames wrote:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: This one is pretty self-explanatory. You could as well just name it Wind Waker + Ocarina of Time 2. Hoping to make this a day one purchase on Wii U and/or Switch.

In Zelda terms, we round "Ocarina of Time 2" up to "Twilight Princess." Breath is basically TWW 2 with all of its wooden platforms, flocks of seagulls, nighttime treasure beacons, deku leaf, and telescope zooms.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

IceClimbers

In no particular order:

-Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
-South Park: The Fractured But Whole
-Resident Evil VII
-Sonic Mania
-Yooka-Laylee
-Project Sonic 2017
-Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
-Spider-Man
-Red Dead Redemption 2
-Gravity Rush 2

Not expecting Spider-Man to come out in 2017 at all though.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CanisWolfred

Peek-a-boo wrote:

01) Everybody's Golf (Hot Shots Golf/Minna No Golf)

Wait, there's a new Everybody's Golf on the way? I've been waiting for a PS4 version. Unless...is it being made for VR? Not that it would be a bad thing, but the last taught me to be wary of gimmicky entries in established series. Same with the Vita Katamari game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

1. Breath of Wild
2. Dragon Quest 8
3. Dark Souls 3 final DLC
4. Ni No Kuni 2
5. FF12 remastered
6. Uncharted 4: Chloe edition
7. Dragon Quest XI
8. RE7
9. Mass Effect 4
10. Horizon Zero Dawn

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.