Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Series chat

Posts 301 to 320 of 328

Vortexeo

@Tjuz Awesome, I'm glad we could help! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Tjuz

@Ralizah @Vortexeo @EaglyBird I sat down earlier today and just finished my first play session with the game. I played the entirety of Chapter 1 and stopped right after the first cutscene of Chapter 2, which has taken me a little over two hours. Thank god you've all warned me about the endless Quest icons appearing on the map, because that would've instantly overwhelmed me if not. I took your advice and just picked them up and let them be, and you're totally right, I've already been finishing quests simply through playing. I do kill the enemies they want me to kill when I come across them, but I'm not going out of my way to find anything if it's not directly on my path so far.

Sadly, through both doing this and just normally progressing through the story, I have come to a horrifying conclusion... I think I am... bad? Now I'm not by any means some pro gamer. In fact, I would say the very opposite for most games. Not usually will I die about five times in what is essentially just a prologue however, which embarrassingly did happen here. I was asked not once, not twice, but three times by the game if I wanted to put on the dedicated "Casual" mode. My pride! It hurts! But are they wrong? I haven't yet managed to kill one of the "unique" side quest enemies yet despite them being around my level. I keep miserably failing. That said, I've been doing okay with the main quest enemies so far (aside from the security drones which kicked my beep the first time around). I hope it'll stay like that and my misfortune with anything outside of the main quest path is just growing pains.

I've been enjoying the story so far though! Aside from the hilariously over the top military general with his god-awful moustache, the characters have all been fairly interesting. I didn't really know the background or the world of Xenoblade much, if at all, so the introduction showing me they're all actually living on top of the ancient titans was completely new to me and such a fun concept really. The end of Chapter 1 was epically presented, so I'm not at all worried about this game being able to do great set pieces. I did have one question for whoever might like to answer, but how much should I be worrying about this affinity system? Truth be told, the combat system itself is still quite overwhelming to me though I'm sure it'll get better with time, but does it affect much in terms of story beats outside of the Heart to Hearts? Kind of annoying they'll show the Heart to Hearts when you're not yet able to view them though. I wish they'd just show up once you actually unlock them, because now it's giving me a sense of FOMO of them simply sitting there unwatched.

All in all, good first impressions! I'll definitely be continuing.

Tjuz

Ralizah

@Tjuz The affinity system in XC1 is obnoxious trash, and the heart-to-hearts are brief, non-voiced interactions that aren't worth worrying about. XC2 doesn't gate H2Hs behind affinity requirements, thankfully, and XC3 does away with the system entirely.

Just ignore the side stuff and pointlessly open maps and progress the story. It's the only way to play this that won't make you want to throw stuff at your TV.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Vortexeo

@Tjuz

Tjuz wrote:

Sadly, through both doing this and just normally progressing through the story, I have come to a horrifying conclusion... I think I am... bad? Now I'm not by any means some pro gamer. In fact, I would say the very opposite for most games. Not usually will I die about five times in what is essentially just a prologue however, which embarrassingly did happen here.

I will say, this is pretty in line with what happened on my first playthrough lol. I died a few times back to back towards the end of the first chapter. As @EaglyBird mentioned there are a few more combat mechanics that will slowly be introduced as you progress the game and it makes things easier.

I think it is important to note that each party member has their own playstyle. If you don't like doing the positional attacks with Shulk, do remember that not all party members use them.

I haven't yet managed to kill one of the "unique" side quest enemies yet despite them being around my level

Are you referring to unique monsters? The ones that have lightning in their name? If so those enemies are stronger than regular enemies by a pretty significant margin so don't feel bad if you struggle with them!

I'm glad you're enjoying the story though! It is my personal favorite in the series and I never get tired of seeing people experience it 😂

The affinity system doesn't affect the story outside of heart-to-hearts. It's a shame though because I thought the heart-to-hearts were wonderful but I wish they didn't lock them behind affinity. As mentioned by @Ralizah, in the later games the affinity system doesn't affect character interactions at all.

I will say though, that the affinity system affects three aspects of gameplay: Gemcrafting, Skill Links, and Chain Attacks. I don't think you have unlocked these yet so you don't have to worry about them atm but you can still use all of them without focusing on affinity. They are improved if your affinity is good though.

If you're confused on any part of the combat just let me know and I'll try to explain!

Edited on by Vortexeo

Xyphon22

Weird random question. I'm in the US with the US version of Xenoblade 2. If I buy the European physical version of Torna, will I be able to use it okay? I'm assuming it doesn't matter because it will act like a completely separate game, but maybe it somehow connects the games somehow and being from two different regions it won't work? I just ask because I just saw the European version is actually a fairly decent price on Amazon and I'm thinking about getting it.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Matt_Barber

The boxed version of Torna comes with a code that adds quite a lot of DLC to the main game that you may have issues applying on a North American eShop account.

Torna itself should be playable though.

Matt_Barber

Xyphon22

@Matt_Barber Thanks, I didn't know that. What kind of DLC is it? Because if it's just new costumes and weapons and stuff, I'm fine without that because I don't really plan on playing the main game again. I also thought I saw a review on Amazon that said as long as you have a European account on your Switch to download the DLC (which I do for demos and stuff), then your regular US account should still be able to access the DLC once it's downloaded. So if that's true, it shouldn't be a problem at all, I guess.

Xyphon22

Matt_Barber

There are a bunch of rare blades, side quests, bonus items, extra difficulty settings and the challenge mode. If you're unlikely to play the main game again, you're probably not missing that much, but it's well worth it if you are.

Matt_Barber

Vortexeo

@EaglyBird Lol, it's pretty neat how the voice actors are actually pretty engaged in the community. I watched the entirety of Harry's playthrough when he streamed it.

Vortexeo

It looks like there was an update in sales numbers for the series last week: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nintendo-q2-fy23-24-earnings-r...

XC:DE - 1.91 million
XC2 - 2.74 million
XC3 - 1.91 million

It would be pretty nice to see XC:DE and XC3 cross 2 million!

Apparently, Nintendo also registered a trademark license for Xenoblade in Japan yesterday: https://www.gamereactor.eu/nintendo-registers-trademark-licen...

It probably doesn't mean anything but I'm assuming this means they'll be sticking with the Xenoblade name for future titles.

StarPoint

@Vortexeo Man, it's so close to 2 million that it hurts! I'm sure by the end of the next financial report it should pretty much be there, at least for XC3.

Interestingly, that trademark is for a Xenoblade sequel specifically. So yeah, looks like we'll be getting a Xenoblade 4 at some point.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Vortexeo

@StarPoint I wonder if it's more likely to be a sequel to XCX 🤔

Snatcher

@EaglyBird Really?! Yaaaaay!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Snatcher

@EaglyBird Oh boy I can’t wait! Im gonna need more xenoblade of my journey with 3 is over.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Ralizah

It's disappointing that, as much as the Xenoblade games have improved, the series hasn't really grown its base at all since XC2 released.

StarPoint

@Ralizah Yeah, I hoped that 3 would have performed a little better sales-wise. 2 came out closer to the Switch's launch so there were probably a lot more eyes on it, plus it was released during the holiday season. But still, with how well 3 reviewed, I'm kind of surprised that it wasn't at least able to match 2's numbers.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Vortexeo

@StarPoint XC2 in particular did also have a DLC character in smash bros. Idk how much it influenced sales but I do know XC2 just passed 2 million before Pyra/Mythra were added.

I think a lot of JRPG franchises take a while to get off the ground sales-wise (with the exception of Pokemon and Dragon Quest). As you probably know already, persona didn't blow up until the 5th game, Final Fantasy blew up with the 7th game, and Fire Emblem didn't start gaining traction until the 13th game 😅.

Ralizah

@Vortexeo lmao I read that wrong and almost thought you said Final Fantasy gained traction with the 13th game. I'm not a religious person, but that would seem sort of blasphemous to me.

Persona 4 wasn't AS big as P5, obviously, but I do think the popularity of the game primed people for this new one. I was at uni at the time, and lots of people who weren't otherwise big gamers were talking about looking forward to it.

@StarPoint I do wonder if XC2's launch date, and being the first major new JRPG on the system, pushed it more.

They should probably start experimenting more with their battle mechanics. Almost everyone I know who won't try Xenoblade has cited the combat system as the reason.

Edited on by Ralizah

Vortexeo

@Ralizah LOL now that definitely would have been blasphemous for sure 😂

I definitely do think XC2s launch date helped it. There is a lot more competition for JRPGs on Switch now compared to 2017.

As far as Xenoblade Combat goes I really enjoy it personally but yeah I have heard the same thing. I wouldn't mind if they change it as long as it doesn't become a clone of something else because to me it really sets it apart from other JRPGs.

Xyphon22

So I finally managed to score a decently priced copy of Torna off of eBay. I'm excited to finally play it. The back of the box says that it comes with a download code for the Xenoblade 2 Expansion Pass. I assume it originally came with a piece of paper with a code on it, but being a used copy the original owner already used it and didn't send it to me. But does there happen to be some way to get the Expansion Pass stuff, like the Switch will recognize that I own both games and I can download it somehow? I assume not, and I'm not sure I care about the rest of the stuff outside Torna anyways, but it would be nice to know if I could get it if I wanted to. Thanks.

Xyphon22

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic