Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,675

Zeldafan79

Guys i need some advice on the original Final fantasy. I'm finally playing through it for the first time and I've gotten to the Gurgu volcano area. My problem is my party keeps getting wiped out by these groups of 5 Gargoyles about halfway into second floor. They all use fire attacks and i never even get the chance to do anything. I've died like 8 times already and I'm about to lose my mind!

My party is up to level 16. Am i doing this part too early or something? Any advice?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

BruceCM

You do sound a bit underlevelled, @Zeldafan79 .... Perhaps go & do the ice cavern 1st? There's not really much else to suggest if your party dies that quickly there, sadly

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Zeldafan79

@BruceCM
Yeah those Gargoyles are the worst! I was doing fine up until this point. I nearly made it through the whole second floor but on the way back outside to save and use a cabin to refill my MP i get murdered! Maybe i will head over to the ice cavern but I've heard some say it's harder than the volcano.

BruceCM

Well, some of that is luck of the draw, @Zeldafan79 .... At least with that game, you can save anywhere, since it seems you were rather unlucky with the gargoyles! Did you get far enough for the flame shield & so on?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Good to hear. Don't forget to play it with all of the DLC during the main game! It really improves the story and pacing quite a lot.
Make sure you've watched Kingsglaive too!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

@TheLightSpirit

If you have a PS5, or are getting one soon, it's definitely worth waiting. One of the only big criticisms of the game was that the textures in the slums areas were really terrible. Completely inconsistent quality, given that some of the other areas looked incredible. From the PS5 trailer, it definitely sounds like they've fixed all that.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Oh, yeah, I forgot the DLC isn't automatically presented in the game, is it? When do you recommend playing each DLC (and how do you even activate it?)

Also, I heard conflicting things about getting Regalia-TypeD - some say you just talk to Cindi, some say there's blueprints in the garage, others say it's after her quests (which I haven't finished yet.) I'm not in a hurry, but just curious.

I forgot about Kingsglaive. I'm playing Royal Edition on XB, but I bought the launch edition SE for PS4 back in the day that game with the movie....still in shrinkwrap though and I hate to open it. I'm not sure I could actually tolerate it. Over-serious drama feels so forced these days (part of what I'm afraid of about the next FF - the trailer reminds me of the tone of the kingsglaive trailer, and that's not a good thing. Seems like it would kill the enjoyment of the world rather than improve it for me....maybe it's something I'd watch after the fact. (Plus it's a narrative perspective change - Noct isn't part of any of that, so if you're playing Noct, you shouldn't actually know much about Kingsglaive's events...it's part of the world's history and Noct isn't a proper amnesiac protag if he knows too much of what happened in the world. )

I always find it funny seeing hardcore FF fans complaining about XV's story being a mess. I can't help but think "oh, this must be your first FF game since the SNES..."

@TheLightSpirit Well, it's almost a guarantee the "mobile" game will come to Switch as our version of VIIR, so it's worth paying attention to for the "surprise" announcement later. Just like XV Pocket Edition (mobile) came to Switch. If it's a proper remake of classic VII with all the expanded universe games (yes, I played, Crisis Core on PSP. Yes, I regret it ), story built in, and comes to Switch, that's actually compelling. If the game doesn't suck. And it sounds like it might suck. As a mobile game I don't care, but as a probable future Switch game I'm keeping an eye on it. I'll probably take a while to arrive though as it sounds like it's episodic on mobile and I'd assume it would be a full priced game on Switch with the whole thing.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

You really do need to watch Kingsglaive dude, it contains core story info that you need in order to make sense of everything else that happens! It's also a really good film, as animated video game movies go. Easily the best of the 3 Square Enix movies.

Anyway, if you have the Royal Edition, the DLC should trigger to download automatically and be accessible from within the main game menu. You need to buy the Ardyn DLC separately though, that came out later on. Here's the order you should play things:

1) FFXV Chapters 1-7 (finish chapter 7)
2) Episode Gladio DLC
3) FFXV Chapters 8-9 (finish chapter 9)
4) Episode Ignis DLC
5) FFXV Chapters 10-12 (stop at the point you leave Tenebrae)
6) Episode Prompto DLC
7) Chapters 12-13 (play with Noctis up until you find the Royal Arm and then switch to Gladio/Ignis at the next save point. They added a free DLC here called 'Verse 2' which filled in some big holes in the story. This takes you to end of Chapter 13)
8) Comrades DLC
9) Episode Ardyn DLC
10) Chapter 14.

It's a bit of a hassle, I know. But this is the only way the story actually makes sense, so it's worth doing it.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@NEStalgia
I think the Type-D was originally just granted (albeit, not until the post-game... I think), but a later update made it a more natural unlock, like other Regalia upgrades (and before post-game. Again, I think).

Yep that's right. To start with they just randomly dumped it into the game at a random point, then in a later update, they added various missions you need to complete to unlock it.

They added races with the Type-D too.

I never really used it though because I just prefered to ride chocobo.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy It's such a mess how they released it, and it's really a shame...it's a good game in there that was totally ruined by it's release method and lack of cohesion to the pieces.

Kingsglaive....IDK....Maybe I should, I'd probably buy it instead of opening the shrinkwrap. But...eh...I feel like playing I get the synopsis of what happened, and they thankfully patched in some cutscenes (from Kingsglaive...) into the main game to make it make more sense. It's jarring though to see the rapid flash of the fall of Insomnia (lol that name), with all this high-end CGI and no audio out of nowhere, and seemingly out of its theme. I'm almost sad XVI has a new director. I'd like to have seen more from this. Though technically this game was part of FNC, even though I see no meaningful resemblance to the FNC subseries in it at this point.

I did already buy the Ardyn DLC during Black Friday sales, so I'm all set in that depertment. I'll keep that list handy, thanks!

@DarthNocturnal it's bizzarre to me that the original launch of XV seems like little more than a preview beta and not a full game. They completely rearranged it by the next year and a half. It's funny with XVI being PS exclusive for a year.....does that mean it's PS early access beta for a year before the actual release? (When they'll port the Switch version to PS5 with Switch graphics and declare it definitive and charge full price again? )

@Dezzy yeah, it does seem redundant with teh chocobo more or less. To me the main reason though is simply to cut through large terrain areas rather than having to follow the roads around it. The car still goes faster than a chocobo, and holding RT/R2 for 10 minutes while travelling somewhere sucks. I try to use the car for longer distances and the chocobo once I hop out to cover the dirt, but with the upgrade at least you can cut through the longer terrain patches in transit, and also manual mode sounds a lot more engaging than "hold trigger and stay on the rails anyway."

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

Though technically this game was part of FNC, even though I see no meaningful resemblance to the FNC subseries in it at this point.

All of the connections it had when it was Versus XIII were removed from the game before the name change to XV, so it's not really part of FNC anymore.

BruceCM

I think @Tyranexx has been abducted or something .....

SW-4357-9287-0699

jedgamesguy

@BruceCM Yeah, and has only been allowed to answer the Chit-Chat thread once a day. This is a really strange hostage situation.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

BruceCM

Lol, I'm just checking she hasn't forgotten to update me on the FFVI ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM I WAS abducted...by the mysterious organization known as IRL. IRL has kept me very busy this past week, particularly in the work, adulting, and family departments (Both parents had b-days early last week). I had little gaming time, and what gaming time I did have was spent on portable devices (My phone and 3DS). I wasn't able to get back to FF VI until shortly before the weekend, so...I've had almost nothing to report until now. XD

A quick rundown on my progress:

• Made it through the Magitek Factory and picked up more Espers. Loved what Celes did. I was starting to think there's something going on between both her and Locke....
  • Experienced Terra's origin story. Seems as though she's half human, half Esper! I like how this played out with controlling Maduin in the Esper's world. It's a shame there was such mistrust between the other Espers and Madonna, though it's hard to blame them with what happened later....
    Side Note: I'm still trying to figure out the benefits to Terra's Morph ability. More power maybe?
  • Hijacked Setzer's blimp and did a bit of exploring. Found that the auction house in Jidoor isn't so useless and found Thamasa early. I also picked up Mog the Moogle after returning to Narshe. Briefly caved to a guide and found most of his dances already.
  • Had Terra unlock the Sealed Gate, confronted Kefka (What is WITH this dude?), and apparently unleashed some Espers on the world. Bye-bye Empire!
  • So now apparently Gestahl wants peace? I found the 180 turn to be a bit odd but sat through the banquet and questioning. I got a few decent items and got to loot the eastern fortress from earlier, so that was something! I did also find a Genji Glove and gave it to Locke.
  • Terra and Locke wandered over to Albrook and boarded a boat with General Leo and met up with both Shadow and Celes again.
  • Okay, now there's DEFINITELY something going on between Locke & Celes lol. It's not often I experience such tense situations via 16-bit graphics.
  • Made my way back to Thamasa and, after some drama, picked up both Strago and Relm. I love how Interceptor actually likes her! XD Apparently, the residents of Thamasa are descendants of the Magi and hide their magic use from the world. I also loved the bit with Ultros. I feel like he's a running joke at this point.

I last suspended my save in that cave, so hopefully I find the Espers soon. If I know RPGs, there's bound to be some sort of twist or three coming....

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

BruceCM

Wow, you've made a lot of progress there, @Tyranexx ..... I'll have to catch up!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

With all these spoiler tabs, it truly looks like things are cloaked in Shadow.....

Zeldafan79

@BruceCM
Yeah i finally got through it! Now on to the ice cave! I've been watching a let's play just for tips here and there. This game is quite the grind! I just hate how every two or three steps you're sucked into another battle. Makes getting through one area take hours.

BruceCM

Heh, yeah, @Zeldafan79 ..... At least that should mean you don't have to do so much extra grinding! Shouldn't really be much in there that's too difficult, now & at least the 'boss' fight is easy

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic