Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,861 to 5,880 of 70,076

LzWinky

I hope it does function like a tablet. That could be a selling point

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

@skywake The Switch isn't any more of a tablet than the Vita was, and the Vita wasn't a tablet.

You're getting into semantics. The device NVidia launched in 2014 was a tablet. The Switch is basically the same thing but with rails on the side for controllers to slide into. So if you don't mind for simplicity I'd like to call it a tablet also. And in another context I might call it a home console or a portable console. It's a device that can't really be nailed down, that's kinda the point isn't it?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Grumblevolcano

We have our first confirmed no for Switch, Mass Effect Andromeda.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Farmboy74

Mass Effect Andromeda not coming to switch doesn't surprise me, its been in development for a while concentrating on PS4, XB1 and PC. Also its EA and after dropping the Wii U pretty quickly, I think it will be a while before they come back.

Farmboy74

cwong15

skywake wrote:

You're getting into semantics. The device NVidia launched in 2014 was a tablet. The Switch is basically the same thing but with rails on the side for controllers to slide into. So if you don't mind for simplicity I'd like to call it a tablet also. And in another context I might call it a home console or a portable console. It's a device that can't really be nailed down, that's kinda the point isn't it?

I suppose we can call it anything we like, considering it defies categorization. We can call it a tablet as long as we understand it is about twice as thick as a typical tablet and has external air vents for active cooling.It's possible that this device will have a heat/power profile closer to a laptop than a tablet or cellphone.

cwong15

WebHead

@Farmboy74 yeah i see ea putting minimul effort into switch. i think they just do not care for nintendo.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Nicolai

It's pretty unfortunate that the dual screen experience isn't coming back. It's definitely a weird and sad change, but even though Nintendo consoles have always contained every feature included in previous consoles (the one exception being analog triggers), at the same time one has got to remember that the plausibility of it is getting more and more complicated with every new console. It was wild how the Wii U supported everything the Wii and the DS could do. At somepoint, Nintendo had to realize that, for the sake of moving forward, they couldn't include everything in a device trying to master being affordable, powerful, and portable all at once.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Luna_110

While it is a bit dissapointing, Andromeda not coming to Switch shouldn't surprise us. After all, its EA and the same guys that released ME3 when they were releasing the trilogy on the other consoles.

I'm happy about the lack of dual screen, since personally I never used it much except for Off TV play. I still prefer to access the menu in Zelda to take a breather and manage inventory than doing it all in the fly. I'm old fashioned, I know.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

skywake

cwong15 wrote:

I suppose we can call it anything we like, considering it defies categorization. We can call it a tablet as long as we understand it is about twice as thick as a typical tablet and has external air vents for active cooling.It's possible that this device will have a heat/power profile closer to a laptop than a tablet or cellphone.

Except that the Shield Tablet was also all of those things. Or that before the iPad there was a class of PCs called "Tablets" which were literally just laptops with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard. Full Windows and everything. I think it's kinda useless trying to be so strict when defining some touch screen devices as tablets and others not.

The 3DS is a portable console. The PS4 is a home console. The Wii U is a home console with a tablet style controller. The Switch is a tablet style portable console that you can use as a home console. I don't see how that's so complicated.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

TOUGHDUDE94

My revised idea for the switch(idea my theory)Version 2.1.0
1.The price Should be 249.99-299.99 any higher will lower sales
2.I think the screen is 720p or up with a captive multi-touch screen
3.the main bundle should be
A.The Switch Tablet with Two joy con controllers(one left and one right)
B.The Switch Docking Station(with 1.4 or 2.0 HDMI,2 USB 3.0)(NO AV port)
C.The JOY con controller dock
D.Tablet charger(USB TYPE C)
E.Dock Power Cable,HDMI Cable and Joy con dock cable(micro USB)
4.Launch Games
a.Legend of Zelda:Breath of the Wild
b.Just Dance 2017
c.Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition
d.Spaltoon Deluxe Edition
e.Sonic Mania
f.Unravel
g.Super Smash Bros. Deluxe Edition
It should have these consoles on Virtual Console
Portable:Game Boy,Game Boy Color,Game Gear,GBA,NEO GEO pocket
Home:NES,SNES,Genesis,Master System,Dreamcast,N64,NEO GEO AES

Edited on by TOUGHDUDE94

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

IceClimbers

Mass Effect Andromeda not coming to Switch doesn't surprise me. Been in development for a while now. Besides, I'm not expecting EA to support it very much beyond Madden and FIFA. Due to contract obligations, they have to release at least one version for every platform, so Switch will get a Madden and a FIFA. Whether they continue to release Madden and FIFA on it remains to be seen, but I can see it happening depending on sales.

I also wouldn't expect FFXV on Switch. In fact, I almost don't want them to spend time on a Switch port.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

On the topic of battery life, I'm not expecting it (the tablet) to have great battery life. The rumor is that the dev kit had a max of 3 hours. If I were to guess, the tablet will probably have a 3-5 hour battery life. Battery technology just hasn't advanced very quickly, and isn't keeping up with mobile processors.

On that same subject, I wonder what the battery life is for the Joy-Con controllers and the Pro Controller. Would love to see an 80 hour battery life like the Wii U Pro Controller. I think I've charged that thing less than 10 times since I bought it lol.

erv

Hmm any apps beyond a web browser? I kind of think this could be a more friendly twitter youtube etc thing.

It's quite a bulky device. Perhaps there's enough battery capacity in there, or at least the potential to increase it significantly.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Octane

@IceClimbers I wouldn't worry about the Joy-Cons, they will probably outlive the tablet by several times. Especially if you play a lot on the go, the battery life of the Joy-Cons is a moot point. If you're playing mainly at home? Yeah, a decent battery life would be nice, but if it's only 8-10 hours, I'm not complaining. Especially if you can hook them up to a power supply while playing.

Octane

IceClimbers

Apparently each Joy-Con has a shoulder button and a trigger. The triggers are analogue.

cwong15

skywake wrote:

cwong15 wrote:

Except that the Shield Tablet was also all of those things. Or that before the iPad there was a class of PCs called "Tablets" which were literally just laptops with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard. Full Windows and everything. I think it's kinda useless trying to be so strict when defining some touch screen devices as tablets and others not.

I'm not trying to limit the terminology, I just want to point out that the term needs to be qualified. None of those things you described are on the market. Practically speaking, they don't exist today. When people think "tablets" they are NOT thinking of a thick, chunky block with active cooling air vents. Nothing like that on the market.

FWIW, I'm not too concerned about battery life. 3 hours of Zelda:BOTW is 3 hours more than you can accomplish on the go today. Plus, thanks to today's smartphones with modest battery life, there are numerous power/charging stations on the go: malls, airports, planes, buses, cars. Today's phone owners are conditioned to look for a power tether to park themselves wherever they go.

Chris

cwong15

MarcelRguez

A funny thought crossed my mind today. We know the Wii era is over, right? What does that mean for all those Wii Something titles? Some of those sell rather well, if my memory doesn't fail me, so I don't see much of a reason to dump them.

What about Miis too? Will they stick around (Miitomo is still a thing, sorta) or will Nintendo expand and rebrand the concept?

IceClimbers wrote:

Due to contract obligations, they have to release at least one version for every platform

I've heard this before, but I thought it was a myth.

Not surprised about ME, and I wouldn't count with FFXV either.

IceClimbers wrote:

Apparently each Joy-Con has a shoulder button and a trigger. The triggers are analogue.

Praise the Lord
F-Zero NX, here we go.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

veeflames

@MarcelRguez Miis are an integral part of Nintendo's social and online functionalities (Miiverse, My Nintendo, maybe even Miitomo, if you will). They won't be going anywhere for a long time.
And if the Switch controllers have analogue triggers, they'd be perfect. Now how about they move that right stick up a liiiitle bit?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Octane

IceClimbers wrote:

Is that a rumour or is it actually confirmed? I love me some analog triggers.

Octane

IceClimbers

@Octane I was more curious than worried haha. 8-10 hours would be fine. Any more than that is a bonus!

Anyways, the part about the triggers is technically a rumor, but it comes from Laura Kate Dale, who's been very reliable regarding Switch this past week.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic