Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 69,964

skywake

Therad wrote:

How much are you guys prepared to pay for your proposed system? And at what power level? Wii, Vita, Wii U, PS4?

A portable system I'd pay around $250-350AU, remembering that the 3DS here launched at $350AU. For that I'd want something that's somewhere between the Wii and 360 in terms of power. And if that's what it is? I'd almost go as far as saying that I'd go out tomorrow and get one if there was at least one interesting game.

For a home console it gets a bit trickier. I don't want another home console so it doesn't matter how good the value is they'll need to do a lot to convince me. But what I'd want would be something about on-par with the PS4 for around $400-500AU. And I'd only buy it if they started to release great games on it while leaving the Wii U out in the cold. Which would be disappointing.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

They should probably aim for $199.99 USD for the portable.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Therad

Let me rephrase that. Those that want an hybrid-system, what power level and price is acceptable for you? Both are important.

Therad

The-NX

@Therad:
I would be fine if the graphical power was the same as or slightly higher than the Wii U's. A realistic, but acceptable price-point for me would be $399.99. I would like this to have game bundled with it, but I will understand paying $449.99 if it is a game bundle.

The-NX

WebHead

It realistically have to be $400-500 if we want slightly more than Wii U power.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

I'm not sure why everyone would be fine with a system that's par with the Wii U in terms of graphical power. I mean, even the PS4 and Xbox One have already trouble running certain games at 1080p at 60fps. Another system with specs on par with the Wii U is definitely not going to attract third party developers.

Octane

The-NX

@Octane:
We don't mind because we want a hybrid system. This would mean we could take games like Splatoon or Super Smash Bros. Wii U anywhere. Imagine how awesome that would be!

The-NX

The-NX

@Octane:
Also, with a hybrid system, Nintendo would be able to produce twice as many games.

The-NX

Octane

Oh right, we were talking about this utopian dream console...

@pherret022: The problem is, that even if we assume such device would be feasible, a handheld is never going to run games on par or slighty higher than the graphical levels of the Wii U, and I don't see why it would be awesome to play games with mediocre graphics on a TV. Wasn't the whole point of this hybrid system that the games on the TV would still look amazing, but that the games will be scaled down when you take the handheld part with you?

Octane

The-NX

@Octane:
Actually, my whole point of a hybrid was to get a handheld to look as good as the Wii U. I would be fine if the next system was just a handheld with the same power as the Wii U. Why would we have to be playing mediocre graphics on the TV. With good art direction even Wii U games can look fantastic.

Edited on by The-NX

The-NX

Nicolai

@pherret022: So the question is, is that even possible? You know, without making it as heavy as a textbook, with a loud gigantic fan, and crummy battery life? Would it be able to withstand the outside world? Could it take a fall? How would it emulate 2nd screen gaming? It couldn't have a disc drive, so I guess that would make it a bit smaller, but only by a fraction. How hot would it get in your hands, and how quickly?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Mister_Wu

Food for thought:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-17-g054ng-Notebook-R...

15 watt TDP, "old" processor architecture (if Nintendo went for x86 it would likely use Zen, which also mean new 14nm/16nm FinFET node, with half the power consumption), comparable power to current Wii U. Of course Nintendo would like a 5 watt TDP, which would mean that, unless AMD new GPU architecture is much more efficient, it would be a struggle to have Wii U power. But perhaps not impossible, as AMD has both a radical new CPU architecture to launch with the 14nm/16nm FinFET node (Zen) along with a new GPU architecture (Arctic Islands). What I see unlikely, however, is Nintendo using the latest CPU and GPU architecture from AMD, although an hybrid all-in-GamePad system with direct HDMI output would really make much sense...

EDIT: the Excavator is the latest architecture from AMD, but it's based on the Bulldozer family that just doesn't work well at low TDP...

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

The-NX

@Nicolai:
I am not sure...
It is definetly possible to make a practical Mobile Console run in HD. Just look at the PS Vita or even the Newer I-Phones. How would they emulate the second-screen gaming? I would assume just like the 3DS, except the HDDS. It would be hard to make games like Splatoon, with their GYRO implementation, but give me fifteen minutes and I will think of a solution.

The-NX

DefHalan

Therad wrote:

How much are you guys prepared to pay for your proposed system? And at what power level? Wii, Vita, Wii U, PS4?

For a Micro-Console, I would pay around $100, maybe $150, and power be near 360 or, if they can pull it off, Wii U.

My Micro-Console idea is where VC lives, which would mean it would need to be powerful enough to run thise games. Also making the GamePad optional and having the Micro-Console work with existing controllers would cut down costs. Plus the Wii U has been out for a long time, so its pieces should be cheaper now.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

People need to give up on the idea of a hybrid console. You might like the idea of a portable console that also replaces the Wii U without any significant drawbacks. I'm sure we all quite like that idea. But what we won't like would be the pricetag that would be attached. Because such a device would cost quite a bit more than the PS4.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BigDrulez95

Portable should be in the range of $100-$150. Console should be in the range of $200-$250.

BigDrulez95

VanillaLake

According to Wii U sales and Internet forums, tons of Nintendo fans -including myself- are reluctant to buy next Nintendo hardware at launch. Nobody knows if it will be a home console or a handheld. I suspect it's going to be a combo, not very powerful, with shared software between the home and portable systems. I doubt I'd get NX until I see a good price and really interesting games. It took me two months to buy Wii U, yet I couldn't wait for the next Nintendo console launch in the past. I think it will take me longer to buy NX and I don't really care because I know Nintendo is not the Nintendo we used to know. I can play 3DS, Wii U, PS4 (and soon XOne) in the meantime. I can't say how much I'd pay for NX; but I can say I didn't pay €250 for Nintendo 3DS (launch price) and it hurt me to pay €350 for Wii U (launch price). They both were overpriced and underpowered. I would love old Nintendo (SNES, N64, NGC) coming back. I can dream...

Edited on by VanillaLake

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

DefHalan

I think a lot of people are hesitant to buy new gaming hardware, I don't think it is exclusively a Nintendo issue. A lot of people are feeling burnt from the current generation and with how long the last generation lasted people are expecting a lot of bang for their buck.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

Price is of no consequence. Just give me a powerful home console with a nice, comfy, "classic" controller and Nintendo's games and charm. This is your chance, Nintendo. A unique opportunity to refresh the gaming scene. Even the "gimmick" front has been beaten to death over the better part of the last decade - that stuff didn't cut it with the Wii U, it won't cut it five years later under a new guise. We're crying out, screaming out, for a return to greatness that mixes old-school comfort in terms of hardware with new-school ideas concerning software.

Do it. Or learn to love your smart phone even more.

rallydefault

Jellok

NX will be able to form as a standard console with new features and will completely sync with there new NX handheld. I do think the main game that Nintendo will bank on will be Pokemon. Having a Pokemon game for launch of game console and handheld will give it a nice boost. After listening to Tezuka and Miyamoto talk about Mario its obvious a new ambitious Mario is coming. But I do sense they are finally understanding Mario can not do it alone. Splatoon and Mario Maker is starting to wake Nintendo up a bit. Power wise it is hard to tell when AMD described the 2016 console they said it goes "Beyond gaming" which is interesting coming from a tech company and Iwata stating it will take them two years to change gaming. Even DENA said they think they can change gaming. It could be all talk but it seems that the head of these companies think they have something special.

Jellok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic